Tennis Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
37,573 Posts
I was happy Phoenix won Best Actor. He put forth an exquisite performance. But, his speech was oft-puting, going off on the "horrors" of humans drinking milk meant for calves. I am at Harris Teeter right now and think I will get an extra gallon of milk. Humans have dominion over animals and we must utilize what they have to offer as resourses when appropriate.
How is intensive animal farming even remotely appropriate?

·
Registered
14,604 Posts
How is intensive animal farming even remotely appropriate?
Dairy farming is a win win. It provided nice income for the farmer. We are supplied with inexpensive nourishing vitamin D. And the cow lives a long life of productivity.

If you want to escew milk and suffer from brittle bones when you are 50 plus be my guest.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Yes! Parasite won the night as it should.

However... i ain't forgiving the Oscars

How can Parasite be the best at everything (it was) and yet none of the actors nominated! Oh we know why...

Also... can not forgive no nominations for The Farewell (Awkwafina and Lulu Wang should've been nominated).

Finally... J.Lo! shoulda been nominated.

·
Registered
37,573 Posts
Dairy farming is a win win. It provided nice income for the farmer. We are supplied with inexpensive nourishing vitamin D. And the cow lives a long life of productivity.

If you want to escew milk and suffer from brittle bones when you are 50 plus be my guest.
Um... "productivity" is an interesting way to put it. And Vitamin D is added to cow's milk. But anyway, let's not derail the thread.

·
Registered
9,013 Posts
So pleased with all the winners. Just wow.
Sad "Farewell" wasn't nominated for BP but oh well. Oscars for Jojo Rabbit, Joaquin, Laura, Brad, and Parasite. And Hildur Guðnadóttir! Brilliant.

·
Trainwreck
58,186 Posts
I was happy Phoenix won Best Actor. He put forth an exquisite performance. But, his speech was oft-puting, going off on the "horrors" of humans drinking milk meant for calves. I am at Harris Teeter right now and think I will get an extra gallon of milk. Humans have dominion over animals and we must utilize what they have to offer as resourses when appropriate.
Not sorry I missed his speech then. Celebs telling us what they think about every random thing is one of my least fave trends.

·
Registered
15,510 Posts
So is Oscars diversified or not? You can't lambaste the panel for not being diversified when the nominations were announced and then celebrate diversity when the results were announced.

Pick a side.
i mean you've clearly made up your mind about this whole debate, but i'll put in my 2 cents. you can commend (i personally am not, it's their job) the academy for properly awarding the real best film of the year while criticizing the lack of PoC nominated for the acting roles and women for their work behind the camera in a year when that work was actually superior given their history of awarding very questionable films (green book lol). they’re mutually exclusive events. imo it's a shame it was even in question that parasite would win these major awards.

·
Registered
29,834 Posts
i mean you've clearly made up your mind about this whole debate, but i'll put in my 2 cents. you can commend (i personally am not, it's their job) the academy for properly awarding the real best film of the year while criticizing the lack of PoC nominated for the acting roles and women for their work behind the camera in a year when that work was actually superior given their history of awarding very questionable films (green book lol). they’re mutually exclusive events. imo it's a shame it was even in question that parasite would win these major awards.
No, nobody is entitled to win any awards. I wish people didn't forget about humility in the past few years.

·
Registered
15,510 Posts
No, nobody is entitled to win any awards. I wish people didn't forget about humility in the past few years.
you're absolutely right, no one is entitled to win or be nominated. but the visibility and reputation of the oscar as the most prestigious film award (i guess this is debatable), as well as hollywood's self-proclaimed pride as a socially liberal, "woke" body opens itself to criticism when they make decisions with regards to recognizing stories driven by minorities not visible in our usual media that's inconsistent with their party motto.

i saw an earlier post of yours in this thread questioning why we give so much importance to this award anyways. i agree with you - why do we care so much what an arbitrary council that heavily skews towards a certain type thinks? but there's no denying the history and power of this award. anyone who gets nominated will forever be billed as "oscar-nominated/winners" throughout their careers, usually for the positive. after moonlight won best picture, A24's cachet increased a lot, and subsequently produced many amazing films. so for me, i want these unique and entertaining stories that traditionally don't get visibility to be recognized and have their creators' future work supported and not in question.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
Sad that this year's oscar thread is so empty despite the parasite wins making it one of the better oscars in recent memory.

And while I understand the backlash against the lack of noms for female directors, I would ask who in the list of 5 you would take out to put in say Greta Gerwig. I think only the case for Todd Phillips being taken can possibly be made, and even then it's not a great one.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts