Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
I found Jojo Rabbit incredibly not funny. The whole movie just didn't work for me, despite its technical merit and great acting overall. And I think it's going to be divisive the whole season and won't come near the win.

Also saw Ford v. Ferrari this week, which is the typical 90s white straight men movie. The race scenes are great but the movie has no substance. I also thought Damon and especially McConaughey are actively bad.

Judy is good enough to get Renee a win. When she sings the movie comes to life.

I would love to see some love for the new Malick, A Hidden Life cause it is absolutely gorgeous. A cinematography nom would be well deserved.

And as usual, I'm most excited for the International Feature Oscar. Parasite and Dolor y Gloria are locks I guess but behind that are a bunch of very strong movies that I have all loved:
- Monos from Colombia is thrilling and has had buzz since Sundance and Berlin.
- Atlantique from Senegal is a pretty interesting ghost story intertwined with the migrant crisis, and it would be cool to see an African nom again.
- Les Miserables from France is just really powerful
- Brazil's entry The Invisible Life of Euridice Gusmao is my favourite movie of the year so far and deserves it so much
- Honeyland from North Macedonia is a really interesting doc about the last european female beekeeper
- Russia has a strong WWII drama with two amazing leads in Beanpole
I also loved Algeria's Papicha, Sweden's And The We Danced (the director is adorable) and Germany's System Crasher but I don't think they have a big shot.
-

·
Registered
35,541 Posts
looking at my letterboxd, it wasn't a great year so far, especially not for american movies. i haven't seen a single 2019 US Movie that i LOVED. i think "us" (which everybody seems to have forgotten about) might have been the best, which is depressing in itself.

the trailer for "jojo rabbit" was cringe in a sub-wes-anderson way. i don't think waititi should be in his own movies.

·
Registered
28,774 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with Oscars and all the speculations... It's obvious that only a narrow particular set of films get attention every year. I don't understand film critics like Haimar or Beat and never will.

·
EXPRESS YOURSELF
7,905 Posts
I don't understand the obsession with Oscars and all the speculations... It's obvious that only a narrow particular set of films get attention every year. I don't understand film critics like Haimar or Beat and never will.
Big yes to this. I am interested in what films get chosen and why, but it’s obvious it is way too analysed by people, it’s rarely surprising certain films and actors get nominations/wins, not for being good, but for meeting certain criteria that the academy likes at the time/creates an image the academy wants to project to seem “woke”, like if they nominate the affront to cinema that is the “Avengers” just to get young people watching again ($$$).

·
Registered
27,289 Posts
looking at my letterboxd, it wasn't a great year so far, especially not for american movies. i haven't seen a single 2019 US Movie that i LOVED. i think "us" (which everybody seems to have forgotten about) might have been the best, which is depressing in itself.

the trailer for "jojo rabbit" was cringe in a sub-wes-anderson way. i don't think waititi should be in his own movies.
I have high hopes in Noah Baumbach’s “Marriage Story”. This will be available in Netflix the first week of December I think and in selected cinemas a couple of weeks earlier

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Big yes to this. I am interested in what films get chosen and why, but it’s obvious it is way too analysed by people, it’s rarely surprising certain films and actors get nominations/wins, not for being good, but for meeting certain criteria that the academy likes at the time/creates an image the academy wants to project to seem “woke”, like if they nominate the affront to cinema that is the “Avengers” just to get young people watching again ($$$).
I think that's part of the allure. As much as film enthusiasts want to pretend that the winners represent the best, that is rarely the case. We all know it, and if you read these threads through the years, you'll notice that participants understand the politics that go into selecting winners. And that's often mentioned in the the posts. It's a movie or a performance, there's hardly a formula to objectively identify what's "best." Winners, after all, aren't picked by omniscient robots. We all know this. People's opinions are just that: opinions. It's fun to have conversations and debates with likeminded people.

·
Registered
48,323 Posts
Ford V. Ferrari
Waves
Rocketman
Motherless Brooklyn

these 4 are non factor in BP

·
夏の匂い。キ&#
104,564 Posts
I completely enjoyed Ford vs Ferrari. Hopefully Christian will get a nom at least.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ford vs Ferrari can be a factor if it becomes a box office hit. It opens at around 30 mil this weekend and audience score is amazing which should help to have long legs. Reviews are getting better and better (up to 81 on metacritic right now).

21 - 40 of 40 Posts