Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's like cool epilepsy.
65,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did not see a thread on this.

Misaki :bounce: Lovely result in front of home crowd!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
NID choke in the first set for mentally weak Vekic :facepalm:

But tbf impressive victory for Doi, especially since she's coming off of a finals run in her previous tournament.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Misaki can randomly play top 10 tennis at times, so I guess this isn't such a terrible result.

Donna has been quite consistent this year so whatever.

She'll learn from this I'm sure :grin2:

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
NID choke in the first set for mentally weak Vekic :facepalm:

But tbf impressive victory for Doi, especially since she's coming off of a finals run in her previous tournament.
It was not just mentally bad performance.
Bad day with only 37% of first serves in.
Doi played well but not better than for example in their last match which she lost.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Misaki can randomly play top 10 tennis at times, so I guess this isn't such a terrible result.
It's not really random... Doi's tennis is very high-risk for her size. She's one of those players who can challenge top 20 players with her bold shotmaking, but at the same time no match is a given win even down into ITF level because she's so tiny she can both be overpowered and outgrinded.

For her aggressive game to work she needs to be fully confident, which is why when she started slumping she didn't stop until she was ranked in the 300s, but why she's on a roll the week after reaching a final in front of her home crowd.

She's also beaten Vekic before and pushed her hard in her loss this summer so there's a matchup thing going on too.

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Love this result for Misaki! :) This mini Japan swing has been so positive for her. I watched the first set only but she really gritted her teeth when she was down 5-3. Great resolve.

I really like Donna but she has to be one of the most mentally fragile players in the top 40 or so. :sad: She gets so visibly frustrated with herself (not even that far from Sevastova level), and even when she wins a very simple basic point (even on an opponent's error) she will pump her fist and look to her box with extreme intensity like she's just climbed Mt Everest. She just seems like she's so tightly wound and tense even in the very opening stages of a match, or even when she's cruising, like there's never a moment of relief or natural flow on the court.

·
Registered
19,224 Posts
Misaki is riding on the success wave at home :bounce:

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
certainly didn't see it coming.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Love this result for Misaki! :) This mini Japan swing has been so positive for her. I watched the first set only but she really gritted her teeth when she was down 5-3. Great resolve.

I really like Donna but she has to be one of the most mentally fragile players in the top 40 or so. :sad: She gets so visibly frustrated with herself (not even that far from Sevastova level), and even when she wins a very simple basic point (even on an opponent's error) she will pump her fist and look to her box with extreme intensity like she's just climbed Mt Everest. She just seems like she's so tightly wound and tense even in the very opening stages of a match, or even when she's cruising, like there's never a moment of relief or natural flow on the court.
:lol:Great observation. I noticed that also too.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
:)

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
Was hoping that win over Goerges would’ve clicked something in Vekic’s mental state, bc she can simply crush when she’s not overthinking it.

Happy, happy for Doi, considering how low she fell, awesome to see her back in the top 100, and securing a place there for 2020 hopefully.
Pavs is definitley beatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts