Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Elise's level dropped a lot in the second set, but overall a good match from her. :) A lot of good rallies in this match! Hsieh at least seems to be fighting in all her matches even if the level isn't always there, especially her serve.

Mertens faces Stephens vs Giorgi next. Mertens seems to finally be in good form after her USO run so I guess she would be the favourite.

·
Registered
21,228 Posts
Re: Osaka R2: (9) Elise Mertens d. Hsieh Su-Wei

You need to put the scoreline in the thread title. That is a mandatory requirement for results threads. To do so, on the General Messages page double click on a blank space to the right side of the thread title (but not on it, as that will open the page) and it allows you to edit.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Osaka R2: (9) Elise Mertens d. Hsieh Su-Wei

You need to put the scoreline in the thread title. That is a mandatory requirement for results threads. To do so, on the General Messages page double click on a blank space to the right side of the thread title (but not on it, as that will open the page) and it allows you to edit.
Wow, I totally didn't realise I left out the score. Edited it in now, thanks!

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
Bit of a weird match. Lots of breaks of serve, some fun rallies but the courtspeed and conditions are strange. It’s like the ball sticks to it? :lol:

Too many errors from SW, and she kept hitting soft balls back to Elise in the rallies instead of slamming them into the open court which is becoming a bit of a bad habit. :( She played a much cleaner second set but the UEs crept back in. Too many 3 setters and a bit of burn out too lately, I don’t know why she’s playing doubles this week with lil’ sis when she and Barbie will probably play again next week in addition to the singles. :help:

On the other hand Elise was super steady (tracked everything down), and smartly attacked any puffball serves (and there were a lot). Aside from the second set where she decided to hit every ball into the net for no reason lol. Her backhand is already rather flat so I don’t know why she flattens it out further.

·
Registered
16,401 Posts
Bit of a weird match. Lots of breaks of serve, some fun rallies but the courtspeed and conditions are strange. It’s like the ball sticks to it? :lol:

Too many errors from SW, and she kept hitting soft balls back to Elise in the rallies instead of slamming them into the open court which is becoming a bit of a bad habit. :( She played a much cleaner second set but the UEs crept back in. Too many 3 setters and a bit of burn out too lately, I don’t know why she’s playing doubles this week with lil’ sis when she and Barbie will probably play again next week in addition to the singles. :help:

On the other hand Elise was super steady (tracked everything down), and smartly attacked any puffball serves (and there were a lot). Aside from the second set where she decided to hit every ball into the net for no reason lol. Her backhand is already rather flat so I don’t know why she flattens it out further.
Hsieh probably foreseen losing singles early so she went and help her sister a bit with points and money.

Doubles aren't much of a toll if you are not playing both singles and doubles. Plus the likely chance of them going deep in Osaka is low.

Hsieh had too many UEs in the first and third set against Mertens pushing back. She also let all the balls drop which she should have taken them in the air to not give Mertens the time to track back. Mertens wasn't playing that great, she just waited for Hsieh to attack (either winner or UEs).

Reactions: Veesus Christ
1 - 5 of 5 Posts