Registered
115,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New coach Sumyk doing okay so far. Bertens still in the YEC race
Anastasia plays Doi in a QF

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Bertens with 1 ace and 9 DFs. That's not really going to cut it. Ever since Kiki choked away the final against Riske she's been in a slump. Though tbf Pavs has always been a tough matchup for her. Pavs was up like 5-2 in the first set of their USO match before she lost in straights.

Let's go Pavs. Maybe Sumyk's tendency of making players into grinders will actually help Pavs reel in some of her excessive aggression.

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Kiki is getting the opportunity of a place in Shenzhen on a silver platter with competition like Konta and Vondrousova out, Svitolina being unfit, Petra with no match rhythm after returning from injury and Osaka coachless so what does she do? Losing Cyndi Lauper style, time after time. :facepalm:

·
Registered
34,058 Posts
Wow I missed this news about Sumyk.

What has happened to Kiki :help:.

·
Registered
12,487 Posts
Bertens has been terrible since Rome, something not quite right for a while. Vulnerable and under performing despite a few wins.

Losing to Konta on slow clay really messed with her head.

Incredible to think Pavly was1 set away from reaching the Australian Open SF....She can be so dangerous, complete player who plays the right way, a pure talent. Can easily see why Sumyk chose to help her.

·
Registered
87,250 Posts
What is going on with Bertens??

·
Registered
9,302 Posts
Kiki is on pause with her coach, too much mutual irritations after this string of bad results. She is travelling Asia with assistant-coach Elise Tamaëla. Not improving the results so far.

Reactions: Pris

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Bertens with 1 ace and 9 DFs. That's not really going to cut it. Ever since Kiki choked away the final against Riske she's been in a slump. Though tbf Pavs has always been a tough matchup for her. Pavs was up like 5-2 in the first set of their USO match before she lost in straights.

Let's go Pavs. Maybe Sumyk's tendency of making players into grinders will actually help Pavs reel in some of her excessive aggression.
Lets wait and see if by the middle of the next season she's playing like a brainless pusher with no FH :eek:h: More seriously, I am not sure if Pavs is going to get that much better now regardless of coach. She's pretty much sailed all these years "peaking" in a couple of tournaments every season no one really cares about and adding no depth at all to her game or improving her rallying skills, for which she's always shown little instinct, but who knows, stranger things have happened. If Sumyk doesn't take it to the extreme he did with Muguruza, with her consent, I guess, and nullifies her weapons (aggression), she could improve her margin by playing everything CC, like Garbiñe was doing. It's not much, but at least she won't be sending balls 1 mtr wide/long every second shot. Also grinding is not kind on bodies, and Pavs is not exactly the fitness queen, so I hope this time they will find a good balance.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
These two played a dire match at the USO that Pavlyuchenkova really messed up, not surprised she rectified it here. The fall has quietly cometh for Bertens.

Bertens has been terrible since Rome, something not quite right for a while. Vulnerable and under performing despite a few wins.

Losing to Konta on slow clay really messed with her head.

Incredible to think Pavly was1 set away from reaching the Australian Open SF....She can be so dangerous, complete player who plays the right way, a pure talent. Can easily see why Sumyk chose to help her.
Since RG, I'd say. The Konta loss was not a bad loss, especially given the circumstances of the backed-up schedule and Bertens' fatigue from winning Madrid.

The RG loss really reminded me of Nadia Petrova in 2006. Perennial top tenner who GOATed so much in the clay warmups that for one time only she was considered as one of the favourites to win a Slam. Both of them were then struck down at RG by injury/illness - both definitely legit but you suspect there was an element of throwing in the towel as well. But it has to affect you, on the brink of making it big and crashing out like that.

Bertens has actually reached two International finals since but the manner in which she lost both might have just made things worse.

Lets wait and see if by the middle of the next season she's playing like a brainless pusher with no FH :eek:h: More seriously, I am not sure if Pavs is going to get that much better now regardless of coach. She's pretty much sailed all these years "peaking" in a couple of tournaments every season no one really cares about and adding no depth at all to her game or improving her rallying skills, for which she's always shown little instinct, but who knows, stranger things have happened. If Sumyk doesn't take it to the extreme he did with Muguruza, with her consent, I guess, and nullifies her weapons (aggression), she could improve her margin by playing everything CC, like Garbiñe was doing. It's not much, but at least she won't be sending balls 1 mtr wide/long every second shot. Also grinding is not kind on bodies, and Pavs is not exactly the fitness queen, so I hope this time they will find a good balance.
Pavs is fitter than people give her credit for, look at her three-set record. Even before she lost weight I remember her winning b2b three-setters in one day to win one of her Monterrey finals. It's funny, when she was chunky people said all she needed to do to fulfil her potential was lose weight. Then she did and had exactly the same type of random results as before because the problem all along was her brain, not her body.

Genuinely can't imagine what Sumyk or frankly anyone can do for Pavlyuchenkova, if only because she seems completely content with her randomness.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
One slam match win each and one Premier match win each out of their 4 encounters this year. :lol:

The second set was very entertaining, but Kiki needs to tone down the DFs pronto given that she has been handed so many lifelines re: Singapore chances and can still make it in. She seems very low on matchplay right now considering she probably overplayed earlier in the year.

I had a feeling Pavs could contend for the title at the start of the week (I hope I wrote it in the WWW thread so I can call bragging rights!). Her backhand was coming up with some glorious winners in this match... fingers crossed Sumyk doesn't completely neuter it like he did with Garbine's groundies.

It's still too early to see any changes in her game under him though, this wasn't anything out of the ordinary with her ability to peak for 1-3 random weeks per year.

·
Registered
42,262 Posts
Pavs let’s peak and win a title? Girl has way too much talent to not be a seeded player at grand slams!

Is Bertens just gassed from the great start to the season...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
344 Posts
It's going to be an interesting conclusion to the season. Here's the current live race (5th through 10th place):

5) Serena Williams 3935
6) Naomi Osaka 3876
7) Petra Kvitová 3836
8 ) Belinda Bencic 3615
9) Elina Svitolina 3592
10) Kiki Bertens 3580

Even though Svitolina picked up about 130 pts. by playing two tournaments right after the US Open - that strategy might of backfired as it put more stress on her injured knee. Perhaps she would of been better off to just rest until Wuhan? Also Bencic has a foot injury so she withdrew from the tournament in Osaka. I'm assuming she'll give it a go in Wuhan......

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
These two should also stop meeting so frequently. Pav almost had the lead in both USO sets before she went off to lalaland.
Bertens is probably distracted by her wedding plans, how long can one get engaged with that micro-minuscule of a rock? It's almost a year.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I love Kiki but have got to say she doesn’t look too focused or motivated
Probably since being ill at RG
I k is she has struggled with all the attention and stress of a high profile player - maybe it’s been too much
In some ways I get why she has played these 2 weeks - try and make it to Shenzen - find a spark - but I also think it would have been good to have a few weeks off
The fact the Ramon isn’t with her - which I think she said was bc she doesn’t want to do everything he says or something along those lines - indicates she is a bit burnt out.
Anyway- I hope I am wrong
pavs- maybe Sam will put some discipline in her game
For me - given her natural abilities- probably the biggest underachiever over last 5 years

1 - 20 of 22 Posts