Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Angie was dominating this match as usual between these two, but then Keys took an MTO in the second set when down a break which really threw Angie off. Keys then took another MTO which REALLY stole the set from Angie. Then there was a rain delay at the end of the second set. The third resumed okay tbh, and then Keys retired out of nowhere.

I feel really bad for Keys, and especially bad because I judged her a bit for those MTOs which looked suspicious at the time (even though I said that I was surprised because it's not her style to do that).

Sorry Madison for doubting you :crying: Hope you get better soon.

Quite a nice exchange between them at the end when Keys retired. They had a nice hug and chat about the injury.

Angie needs wins at all costs so I guess this is something. She probably would've won anyway but yeah.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
poor Maddy:(

lucky lucky Kerber:rolleyes: every netcord fell her way the entire match and now a retirement to boot:help: Kerber fans in the live commentary were swearing up and down Keys was faking as well:rolleyes: only way Kerber can win matches these days = through facing opponents like Gibbs and retirements:tape:

·
Rise up from ignorance
18,248 Posts
WTH? I thought Keys only had blisters on her sole and then she retired? Very strange :shrug:

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
If there's something where luck isn't needed is Kerber beating Keys: H2H 9-2 now, but at least this time Madison didn't retire 0-6 1-4 down, it's kind of a progress :eek:h:

Reactions: zim

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Oh Maddie, this is just a cycle for her these days... peak for one tournament, get injured, play baseball for the next few months.

At least Angie is getting some wins. Hope we get Pavs-Kerber next. They have had a long history with Angie narrowly leading the H2H 7-6. Their recent matches have been mostly 3 setters, so another match between them will be great!

·
Registered
23,254 Posts
yah, the live commentary was quite something.
almost desperation by the ange stans. :lol:

·
Registered
34,516 Posts
I thought that match was actually pretty high quality. I've seen waaaay worse matches between these two. Both ended with positive W/UE-stats (Keys 39-33, Kerber 18-13). Some fascinating rallies, impressive shotmaking by both, crowd enjoyed it too.

Angie obviously feeling comfortable in this match-up but you can still see that she's low on confidence: giving away her break leads in set 2 way too easily (+ that break when serving to stay in the set).

Hope Keys will be fine soon, I was also quite surprised by her retirement.

·
Registered
87,425 Posts
Urgently needed SF for Angie. :yeah:

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
If there's something where luck isn't needed is Kerber beating Keys: H2H 9-2 now, but at least this time Madison didn't retire 0-6 1-4 down, it's kind of a progress :eek:h:
Lol exactly this. I’m sure all those niggling aches and pains start to really hurt when you play an opponent that totally dismantles your game. Keys is totally frazzled by Kerber’s tennis IQ and citing an injury is her way of saving face at this point.

It’s hard to take much away from this match. If Kerber can’t play freely & positively when she’s an underdog against one of her pigeons, then it’s hard to imagine when she can. Hopefully she does take confidence from it though. I do like the dynamic her new coach brings. He seemed quite positive.

·
Registered
16,229 Posts
She can't beat her so now she's now straight up quitting on her.

And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree: a Max Einsenbud babe pulling second set wins via MTOs :eek:h:

·
Premium Member
44,090 Posts
Haven't seen this match, but the narrative about MTOs stealing a set to the opponent... :rolleyes:

So Keys wasn't *that* dominated and had the game to win the second set despite her MTOs.

Sad to hear about an injury again. She looked on a roll as of late.

·
Registered
34,516 Posts
I don't get why anyone would think Keys just quit? She had her chances, she won a set and it was 1-1 in the third. She could've totally won this, especially with Angie not being very clutch in deciders these days.

·
Registered
5,526 Posts
I don't get why anyone would think Keys just quit? She had her chances, she won a set and it was 1-1 in the third. She could've totally won this, especially with Angie not being very clutch in deciders these days.
I disagree that she could’ve "totally" won this. It was mostly on Kerber’s racquet & the only way she had a foothold in the match was by disrupting Kerber’s rhythm and exploiting her lack of confidence. Whether it was tactical or not is up for debate.

In my opinion, she is making a habit of calling out the trainer to allow herself to calm down & refocus when things are running away from her.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Double luck for Kerber with the rain that suspended all the rest.
There might be 2 matches in one day for other players...but her.

·
Registered
34,516 Posts
I disagree that she could’ve "totally" won this. It was mostly on Kerber’s racquet & the only way she had a foothold in the match was by disrupting Kerber’s rhythm and exploiting her lack of confidence. Whether it was tactical or not is up for debate..
Well, even if it was on Angie's racquet - I still find it quite silly to say she quit because she didn't want to lose or because she can't beat her when she's in a third set and her opponent - as you say - struggles with confidence in tight situations.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Haven't seen this match, but the narrative about MTOs stealing a set to the opponent... :rolleyes:

So Keys wasn't *that* dominated and had the game to win the second set despite her MTOs.

Sad to hear about an injury again. She looked on a roll as of late.
It wasn't a terrific match but it was good enough, at least considering most of Keys' previous performances against Kerber and Kerber's form. Both of them had nice shotmaking, with Keys hitting many nice winners and Angie doing a great job absorbing the pace coming from Madison's shots and moving her around without overhitting.

Overall I think that Angie did a very nice job targetting Madison's BH towards the end of set 1 - she drew errors at crucial moments there to take the set. Then in set 2 she had two early breaks only to have no serve to consolidate any of those leads. Then both of them improved on serve to take it to 5-4, only for Angie to get broken once again.

I couldn't see set 3 due to to the rain delay but it was quickly ended so I'm guessing Madison was even worse than what one could gather back in set 2 (which would explain why the MTO was quite long) but apparently it was just for blisters, not a serious injury. Madison was moving rather well (for her standards, ofc) throughout the match.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Well, even if it was on Angie's racquet - I still find it quite silly to say she quit because she didn't want to lose or because she can't beat her when she's in a third set and her opponent - as you say - struggles with confidence in tight situations.
Plus Keys won the last three-setter between them (and after losing the first set). She surely had a good chance to win this match.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Why would Keys need to retire to save face? She always takes her losses on the chin, no matter how embarrassing... even when she got clobbered a few weeks ago by 17 year old Hailey Baptiste :tape:, or Polona Hercog, even leaving the court in tears after wasting match points and getting beaten by Vekic. An especially odd criticism given her opponent today.

Also a bit strange to question Keys' integrity with the MTOs considering she's one of the most perennially injured players on the tour, frequently missing entire months of the season and needing multiple surgeries already in her career. Someone mentioned her other retirement to Kerber but she also retired from her two tournaments after that as well. She simply has a glass body. :lol: This is someone who took an MTO when she was up 6-1 5-2 in the USO semi final.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Why would Keys need to retire to save face? She always takes her losses on the chin, no matter how embarrassing... even when she got clobbered a few weeks ago by 17 year old Hailey Baptiste :tape:, or Polona Hercog, even leaving the court in tears after wasting match points and getting beaten by Vekic. An especially odd criticism given her opponent today.

Also a bit strange to question Keys' integrity with the MTOs considering she's one of the most perennially injured players on the tour, frequently missing entire months of the season and needing multiple surgeries already in her career. Someone mentioned her other retirement to Kerber but she also retired from her two tournaments after that as well. She simply has a glass body. :lol: This is someone who took an MTO when she was up 6-1 5-2 in the USO semi final.
Don't bother with them, there are some desperate fans out there, but this is a new level of delusion. Keys is about as honest a player as you will find. No gamesmanship, no cheating, no tanking.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts