Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Osaka says her two goals are to be more consistent throughout the season and not just for hard court slams, and also to win on clay and grass.

Original article: https://sports.yahoo.com/osaka-plots-french-open-wimbledon-115004931.html

MELBOURNE (Reuters) - Having already stamped her authority on hardcourts by winning both the Australian and U.S. Opens multiple times, Japan's Naomi Osaka feels she is now better equipped to succeed on other surfaces.

The 23-year-old outplayed American Jennifer Brady 6-4 6-3 in Saturday's Australian Open final at the Rod Laver Arena to join Roger Federer and Monica Seles as players to win all four of their first Grand Slam finals.

Osaka won back-to-back majors at the 2018 U.S. Open and the Australian Open in 2019 and picked up her third at Flushing Meadows last year but she has never made it beyond the third round at Roland Garros or Wimbledon.

Asked if she was now more confident of success on clay and grass, Osaka said: "Yes, I think so.

"I have more of an understanding of what I'm supposed to do.

"Before I would just head into a match sort of unaware of guess different patterns and things like that. But now I talk to (coach) Wim (Fissette) a bit more on strategy."

Carrying her hardcourt success to the French Open and the Wimbledon was the "biggest goal" going forward for Osaka.

"I think everyone knows I can do well on hard court," she said after posing for pictures with the Daphne Akhurst Memorial Cup at Melbourne's Government House.

"For me, I just really want to get comfortable on the other surfaces."

Justine Henin, a seven-times Grand Slam champion, recently said that women's tennis has a "new boss" in Osaka.

"I feel like it's an honour that I'm in that conversation," said Osaka.

"I also feel like for me, my biggest goal is to be consistent throughout the year, not just randomly popping up and winning a Grand Slam.

"Hopefully I'm able to be more stable this year and feel more worthy of potentially having that title."

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If Naomi gets her game going on grass and clay, sky gonna be limit

I think losing to Venus and kerber on grass in 2017 and 2018 isn't bad. Yes 2019 was bad but she was suffering slump

Gonna be interesting this year. She has ambition but she is working hard to improve too.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Well...of course she is going to say that, what would you expect any player in her position to say???....whether it can be a reality is something entirely different...

·
Registered
124 Posts
This season of Naomi on clay and grass will be very interesting ... Rome, Madrid, Paris, London if she wins a title here and will have good results in the other 3 she is without a doubt the new boss, the replacement for Serena Williams.
I would like a rivalry to form with Bianca, Swiatek and Sabalenka.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I remember she talking about trying to do better at tour events before, but then she kept withdrawing. I'm sure she wants to improve on clay to add to her slam count and to improve on grass to be able to win the most important tennis tournament. But tour events? She can show a bit more, but I doubt it's really something she cares all that much. I don't think her sponsors care also, as long as she keeps performing at slams.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I'm expecting nothing from Naomi on clay and grass this year. I think she will try as much as she can without compromising herself for the Olympics which is just a few weeks after Wimbledon.

Next year, I think she will go all out and do everything she can to improve on those surfaces.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Regarding clay courts, I already saw some promising signs in 2019 tbh. She can hit a good, heavy inside out forehand, and is proficient with creating angles. I can see her doing reasonably well there this year with the right approach and mindset.

Grass - I’m not sure.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I am surprised, I thought that we wont see Naomi again untill USO but she planned coming to Europe . I dont think she can win at clay or gras but who knows

·
Registered
874 Posts
Regarding clay courts, I already saw some promising signs in 2019 tbh. She can hit a good, heavy inside out forehand, and is proficient with creating angles. I can see her doing reasonably well there this year with the right approach and mindset.

Grass - I’m not sure.
I agree, i would love for her to do well on both surfaces, but she just doesn't have the volleying skills or movement on grass mastered yet. She doesn't seem to do that well with low bounces also. She can get down low, but she struggles with the inconsistenty of the bounces on grass.
I mean, i'm hoping that changes at Wimbledon and other grass tournaments she enters this year.
Whereas it seems like she has a better chance at doing well on clay, she moves well enough/can counterpunch well.
But her movement on clay is a work in progress tho.

·
Registered
114,787 Posts
I dont see any reason why she cant have success on clay or grass. Not as much as hardcourt, but I can see a career slam with 10 hard court majors and 1 or 2 at the other 2 majors

1 - 20 of 45 Posts