Tennis Forum banner

321 - 330 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
It’s true that black Africans sold others into slavery, but to say that only a tiny fraction of the British population participated is untrue. I read that 46,000 British owned slaves in the 1800s when the practice was abolished, and this figure probably doesn’t even count those of British descent who owned Africans in the USA and other countries. Just look at all the British/Irish/Scottish surnames given to blacks in the USA and the Caribbean (including mine, which is Stewart). In USA at one point, somewhere between 30-50% of white southerners owned slaves, and they were not all elite. Many were middle-class descendants of whites from the British Isles. Black Africans definitely contributed to the practice of slavery, but the vast majority of people who got rich off the practice were white men, regardless of how you slice it. The British government even gave a bail out to the thousands of British who owned slaves when the practice was abolished in the early 1800s in Britain.

People complain about the agendas pushed by some protesters, but in this country protest is the way to get results. In the case of Ahmaud Arbery, the guys who murdered him were not going to be charged originally, and they were arrested only after the video went viral and people began to protest. Same in the case for Floyd. Yes, there will always be people who take advantage of protests, but those people in no way make me lose the message or confuse it. I know darn well there’s no way I could have the freedom to vote, have access to public parks and other amenities, marry whomever I want, or go to white schools if it weren’t for protesters who accomplished so much in the 1950s-60s. Protests get results.
Let's just take that number, 46,000, that was about 0.5% of Englands population at the time, not sure why the other 99.5% are tarred with the same brush, the point I'm making is most people from the country that these slave traders come from, had nothing to do with trading slaves.

I'm not against protests per se but, in the UK the media are distancing themselves from the Black lives movement because it's politically motivated with accusations of donated money being given to democratic party.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The middle eastern arabs btw, are still endulging in slavery, hiring African women as cleaners/housemaid and then enslaving them, beating them,
What an utterly dumb reductive nonsense are you spewing?

It's like saying because a tiny (hundred or so) people work in London's Stock Exchange, the stock market has nothing to do any body else's life. Absurd.

Slavery wasn't just a hobby of some random plantation in the new world, it was an industry and economy on both sides of the Atlantic. Whole cities and towns in England itself were built upon it (never mind the colonies), Cities like London, Liverpool, Southhampton, Bristol and so on and so forth flourished and exploded out of their tiny medieval walls. For example Bristol was a small town before it hosted the first slave ship. Then it transformed into the 5th largest city in the country. In other words the economy of slavery affected far more individuals than those directly involved in the process. So no, it wasn't just a "tiny fraction". You completely missed the mark by a long shot.

You're also wrong about the numbers. Western transatlantic slave trade transported more slaves than Arabs did. Slaves were trickling into the middle east whereas Europeans surpassed them in efficiency by stuffing slaves full of huge ships. The dingy tiny Arab boats were microscopic compared to the bay size of cargo galleons with three or four masts.

Author N'Diaye estimates that 17 million East Africans were sold into slavery: "Most people still have the so-called Transatlantic [slave] trade by Europeans into the New World in mind. But in reality the Arab-Muslim slavery was much greater," N'diaye said.
"Eight million Africans were brought from East Africa via the Trans-Saharan route to Morocco or Egypt. A further nine million were deported to regions on the Red Sea or the Indian Ocean."

·
Registered
15,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #323 (Edited)
who said cities were not built on blood money? nobody, I said that number of people who were involved from Britain in terms of being responsible for the slave trade, were tiny in comparison to the population of Britain, vast majority of the British population at that time, had jack all to do with the slave trade, they were mostly peasants. The Elite, the one's who were responsible for organising and funding this act were a tiny % of the people that made up Britain at that time, nobody is arguing cities did not benefit.
On one hand you admit cities and countries were built with blood money, then absurdly go on to say the people in those places have "jack all to do" with their blood stained benefiting. You cant' have it both ways. If you benefited from slavery then you DO have something to do with slavery.

If a burglar stole an art piece and sells it to me. I can't pretend to have nothing to do with the case just cuz I myself didn't steal it and even had no idea the piece was stolen. Facts are facts and the fact is I now have this fucking stolen property lying in my house. Therefore by definition I have something to do with the crime.

Ignorance is NEVER an excuse.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Let's just take that number, 46,000, that was about 0.5% of Englands population at the time, not sure why the other 99.5% are tarred with the same brush, the point I'm making is most people from the country that these slave traders come from, had nothing to do with trading slaves.

I'm not against protests per se but, in the UK the media are distancing themselves from the Black lives movement because it's politically motivated with accusations of donated money being given to democratic party.
As I said, The 46,000 number doesn’t encompass all of the British/Irish/Scottish who enslaved Africans in USA, the Caribbean, and South America. A sizable amount of white Southerners owned slaves, and many of those owners were from the British Isles. As Raiden said, whole economies were built on slave labor. The reason the British are often “tarred” is because the corruption was so widespread. They had slaves and colonies all around the world. It’s impossible to implement something like that and be so successful using just a fraction of people.

No clue what point you’re making about Black Lives Matter being politically motivated. Most protest movements are motivated by politics, but that fact alone doesn’t devalue those movements.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Society needs more young blacks who are willing and courageous enough to speak against the Left's tyranny and identity politics, like Candance Owens does.

·
Registered
233 Posts
On one hand you admit cities and countries were built with blood money, then absurdly go on to say the people in those places have "jack all to do" with their blood stained benefiting. You cant' have it both ways. If you benefited from slavery then you DO have something to do with slavery.

If a burglar stole an art piece and sells it to me. I can't pretend to have nothing to do with the case just cuz I myself didn't steal it and even had no idea the piece was stolen. Facts are facts and the fact is I now have this fucking stolen property lying in my house. Therefore by definition I have something to do with the crime.

Ignorance is NEVER an excuse.
why do you struggle to understand this, it's really not difficult.

the peasants of England which was the vast majority of England's population at the time, did not fund the slave trade by digging into their pockets, having a whip round and handing it over to the powers that be, they did not organise the slave trades, they benefitted from the crimes of the minority elite, but they did not congregate together to conjure up a sinister plan to enslave millions thousands of miles away. They didn't have a referendum and then voted for slaves to be traded from Africa.

What were the peasants of England suppose to do at that time in terms of benefitting? they were mostly destitute people, you expect them to take the moral high ground and say I'm going to die of hunger instead, times were different then, today people can afford to have morals, blaming the majority of poor people in the country for the minority of elites systematically abusing people in places that they never would of heard of at the time is ridiculous.

People of today still benefit, town of Bristol with uni's and schools - that includes black people, so is everyone today also responsible because they benefit? are you starting to see how stupid it is to blame a whole country blame the minority.

also noticed you've stayed quiet on the Arab issue, who enslaved over 17 million Africans, this after you laughable suggest it wasn't comparable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
As I said, The 46,000 number doesn’t encompass all of the British/Irish/Scottish who enslaved Africans in USA, the Caribbean, and South America. A sizable amount of white Southerners owned slaves, and many of those owners were from the British Isles. As Raiden said, whole economies were built on slave labor. The reason the British are often “tarred” is because the corruption was so widespread. They had slaves and colonies all around the world. It’s impossible to implement something like that and be so successful using just a fraction of people.

No clue what point you’re making about Black Lives Matter being politically motivated. Most protest movements are motivated by politics, but that fact alone doesn’t devalue those movements.
blm given raised money to political parties not the other way around.

let's increase the number from 46000, still a tiny minority of the British population who were directly responsible for the slave trade, the majority of people in England were very poor and had no say whatsoever in what was happening in lands they knew nothing about.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Society needs more young blacks who are willing and courageous enough to speak against the Left's tyranny and identity politics, like Candance Owens does.

Can you just stop talking about issues you know NOTHING about. Stay in your white bubble and ignorance, and let us, those of color and those that want to see legit change take care of this. Go party with your confederate flag carrying buddies, while jump roping with nooses and wearing bed sheets and pillow cases with cut outs.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I find it funny how all these "new" accounts started popping up and didn't start commenting until these racial injustices started, and for them to start pushing "racism" is a myth agenda, so that they can stay in their privilege.

321 - 330 of 330 Posts