Let's just take that number, 46,000, that was about 0.5% of Englands population at the time, not sure why the other 99.5% are tarred with the same brush, the point I'm making is most people from the country that these slave traders come from, had nothing to do with trading slaves.It’s true that black Africans sold others into slavery, but to say that only a tiny fraction of the British population participated is untrue. I read that 46,000 British owned slaves in the 1800s when the practice was abolished, and this figure probably doesn’t even count those of British descent who owned Africans in the USA and other countries. Just look at all the British/Irish/Scottish surnames given to blacks in the USA and the Caribbean (including mine, which is Stewart). In USA at one point, somewhere between 30-50% of white southerners owned slaves, and they were not all elite. Many were middle-class descendants of whites from the British Isles. Black Africans definitely contributed to the practice of slavery, but the vast majority of people who got rich off the practice were white men, regardless of how you slice it. The British government even gave a bail out to the thousands of British who owned slaves when the practice was abolished in the early 1800s in Britain.
People complain about the agendas pushed by some protesters, but in this country protest is the way to get results. In the case of Ahmaud Arbery, the guys who murdered him were not going to be charged originally, and they were arrested only after the video went viral and people began to protest. Same in the case for Floyd. Yes, there will always be people who take advantage of protests, but those people in no way make me lose the message or confuse it. I know darn well there’s no way I could have the freedom to vote, have access to public parks and other amenities, marry whomever I want, or go to white schools if it weren’t for protesters who accomplished so much in the 1950s-60s. Protests get results.
I'm not against protests per se but, in the UK the media are distancing themselves from the Black lives movement because it's politically motivated with accusations of donated money being given to democratic party.