Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quote from Osaka's presser.

Full quote: "If I lose to someone, it might make a headline. But I also think it grows more superstars and I feel like that's good for the game."

When Osaka beat Serena at USO2018, it put her on the map and kickstarted her career, many would say. And who can forget Serena's infamous "I made you" tweet that she posted after she lost to Sloane at Aus Open 2013.

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Web page

Is Osaka now in Serena's position? Is beating her in a grand slam a way to make yourself a superstar?

Discuss.

·
Registered
10,330 Posts
Not for me. She's obviously one of the most recognisable names on the women's side, and right up there with the biggest names in the sport, but the constant withdrawals, walkovers, inactivity etc. definitely reduced her stock, significantly, IMO.

I'm still often quite surprised when she loses, but saying that, she's only played 20 matches since the 2021 AO, and her record is a modest 13-7 (65%), so she's going to be creating a hell of a lot of 'superstars' if that's the case.

If she was active, bang in form, and then surprisingly lost, then maybe, but that's clearly not the case at the moment, so no IMO.

·
Registered
119,394 Posts
She will ranked 84 when this event is over. Did Vondrousova become a star? What courts are she playing on
Anyway, let Osaka believe what she wants, she is very fragile

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Quote from Osaka's presser.

Full quote: "If I lose to someone, it might make a headline. But I also think it grows more superstars and I feel like that's good for the game."

When Osaka beat Serena at USO2018, it put her on the map and kickstarted her career, many would say. And who can forget Serena's infamous "I made you" tweet that she posted after she lost to Sloane at Aus Open 2013.

View attachment 206091

Is Osaka now in Serena's position? Is beating her in a grand slam a way to make yourself a superstar?

Discuss.
Has anyone ever asked Serena "who made you"? Would love to hear the response to that question.....

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To add my own opinion, there is definitely some truth in the fact that beating her will bring a lot of additional attention to you if you're a lower ranked player and more attention than when a lower ranked player beats another multi-slam champion like Garbine/Kerber/Vika etc. However, I don't think it has any impact of making someone a superstar as such. Not in a R3 match anyways.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts