Tennis Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Judy Tegart on the burden of being Margaret Court's doubles partner.

I was the only one who didn’t have a nervous breakdown. Justina Bricka nearly had a nervous breakdown, Lesley Turner had a nervous breakdown, Robyn Ebbern nearly did, and I was the only one who survived it all. She always used to blame you and she’d stand behind you and go “Tsk, tsk, tsk,” and I turned around and said, “Smithy if you make that noise again, I’m going to put this racquet right around your throat,” and then she’d be fine. 182-- Judy Tegart Dalton, 2010 (p. 219]

·
25,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG-this is a must read, very literate about tennis AND dishes it out!

during the Australian circuit in early 1969, Judy played doubles with Margaret and they did not lose a match, winning the Western Australian Open, the Victorian Opethe New South Wales Open and the Australian Open over the likes of Billie Jean and Rosie Casals, Ann Jones and Francoise Durr, and Kerry Melville and Karen Krantzcke. They continued their successful partnership on the Caribbean circuit by taking the titles in Curacao, Caracas, Barranquilla, and Fort Lauderdale. Their eightournament winning streak came to an end in the quarterfinals of the Caribe Hilton Invitation in San Juan, surprisingly at the hands of Patti Hogan and Tory Fretz by the score of 6-1 8-6.

[Judy]
The match that we lost in the quarterfinals was amazing. We lost to Tory Fretz and Patti Hogan. As you can see, we hadn’t lost a doubles match in God knows how long. We’d gone weeks and weeks and weeks without losing a match. We played it at night, under lights, and I didn’t know then that Tory Fretz liked to use drugs, smoke marijuana ... none of us knew this. She was as high as a kite, on whatever she was on ... I don’t think she missed a shot, and it got to a point where Smithy could not believe what was happening, everybody came and watched the match, it was just unbelievable. She never played like that ever again, it was juincredible. And Margaret kept saying, “But she never missed anything!” and none of us realized what was going on ... I don’t think even Patti knew what wass going on, she might have but I doubt it ... she never missed a ball. It took me ages to get over it, it took Margaret about two months to get over it. It wasn't funny then, but it 's funny now when I look back at it. [p. 224]

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
That hilarious, but how would pot help her? It always seems to slow you down? Also La Revs Mag sounds like a demon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts