Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a fatuous, bogus, and absurdly biased list! There's not enough space available to talk about everything that is wrong with it so I'll focus on just one extremely obvious example--the ridiculous ranking position of Venus Williams who is listed at #40(!) I've seen distorted sports reporting in my day but this is downright egregious. First of all, Venus has lost fewer matches since January, 2000 than ANY OTHER PLAYER IN WOMEN'S TENNIS INCLUDING HER SISTER (20). Her record since the arrival of the new millenium is 161-20 or an incredible winning percentage of .889 (which also tops Serena). Venus has either WON OR WAS RUNNERUP FINALIST in 8 of the last 13 Grand Slam tournaments, a phenomenal achievement that again NO ONE IN THE GAME, including her sister, has come close to matching. Venus's career head-to-head against Serena is 5-6 and Serena has won one more GS title than she has, which hardly suggests any 'domination' by one sister over the other. Venus record against the rest of the WTA over the past 16 months is 74-6 or .925, and she has won 20 out of her last 40 tournaments It was also Venus who, with her domination of the WTA in 2000 and 2001, initiated and was primarily resposible for the widespread interest of corporate sponsors and advertisers in the Williams sisters in the first place. This is not in any way to disparage the obviously great and important achievements of Serena, but it is a bold-face LIE to suggest that Venus Williams is not still a MAJOR FORCE in American sports generally and easily one of the most influential and powerful African American athletes not only in this country, but globally as well. Your mealy-mouthed "putdown with faint praise" of Venus cannot and will not change that particular fact.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I think you might need to add something about why Venus' accomplishments are better than a few of the people that are ahead of her. It would show you actually know something about the people that they placed ahead of her.

For example: person number 34 only did XXX and became XXXX blah blah...Venus, on the other hand.... Get it?

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
good point

but still

a 37 space gap between she and serena is rediculous

regardless of whom precedes Venus

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Venus was ranked AS HIGH AS #40? :eek:

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Did Monica even make the list...???

selesrules said:
Venus was ranked AS HIGH AS #40? :eek:

I love Monica, but, did she even make the list??? Selesrules, you really should stop the bullshit!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts