Registered
14,293 Posts
Sigh

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
Sofia Kenin on Novak Djokovic’s visa controversy

The 2 Aussie interviewers kept baiting her non stop all the way through till the end but she didn’t crack 🤣

Reactions: Aganim and sav001

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
more player support for Novak is probably on the way.
You thiink?.....

OSAKA: "I think it's an unfortunate situation. Like, he's such a great player and it's kind of sad that some people might remember him in this way. But I also think it's not up to tennis players, it's up to the government how Australia is deciding to handle it."

TSITSIPAS: "It has received a lot of attention, as I said. Not enough tennis has been talked about in the last couple of weeks, which is a shame."

DI MINAUR: "When you're coming in, as well as every other tennis player, if you wanted to come into the country, you had to be double vaccinated. It was up to him, his choices, his judgment."

NADAL: 'Australian Open is much more important than any player. If he's playing finally, okay. If he's not playing, the Australian Open will be great … with or without him."

·
Registered
118 Posts
Novak Djokovic is in the wrong for not getting vaccinated and not following the COVID protocols after knowing he was infected. However, all of this drama from the Australian government has nothing to do with disease prevention and everything to do with creating a circus because they have the power to do so. They're trying to make an example of Djokovic. Novak Djokovic should be allowed to play, and the players who come out to support him, regardless of his or their views on vaccines, are smart.

Kudos to Ons Jabeur.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Novak Djokovic is in the wrong for not getting vaccinated and not following the COVID protocols after knowing he was infected. However, all of this drama from the Australian government has nothing to do with disease prevention and everything to do with creating a circus because they have the power to do so. They're trying to make an example of Djokovic. Novak Djokovic should be allowed to play, and the players who come out to support him, regardless of his or their views on vaccines, are smart.

Kudos to Ons Jabeur.
He should not be allowed to play as his entire claim to medical exemption is not a valid by the laws of the Commonwealth. He's claiming his positive test is grounds for an exemption, when the Commonwealth sent letters to the Victorian government and Tennis Australia indicating that simply testing positive is no longer a qualifier. And Djokovic's positive test came 6 days after the deadline. So it's cut and dry that he has no legit medical exemption. Any regular person would already be out of the country by now. And there's also the fact that travel declaration had false information, which is serious offense. He can say his management team filled it out for him, but at the end of the day, he is still responsible for the document and has to make sure the information is correct.

Craig Tiley shoulders some of the blame for leaving a gray area that Novaxx could try to exploit instead of setting strict black and white rules. He had no business even issuing an exemption as it should have been known from the get that's Djokovic's claim wouldn't be valid.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
The federal government had already sent a letter indicating that a positive COVID test was not grounds for an exemption. Tennis Australia and the Victorian government both got that letter. They didn't read it or chose to ignore it. Djokovic's exemption reason was never going to be valid.

And who missed the Dec. 10 deadline? Djokovic. And who didn't have a positive test in the 6 months prior to Dec. 10? Djokovic. He needed a positive test to even get in under the old exemption requirements, and he didn't have one. And yet, he still tried to push the rules, with the help of Craig Tiley, to get an exemption.
December 10 was a Tennis Australia deadline not a Government mandated deadline. They were free to change it at their discretion.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
December 10 was a Tennis Australia deadline not a Government mandated deadline. They were free to change it at their discretion.
And was the date changed? Did other players receive a date change? If the date was actually changed, Djokovic's lawyers would have surely pointed that out in their documentation. But most importantly, did Djokovic's positive test on the Dec. 16 put him in the hospital, which was the new government mandate for using a prior COVID positive test as a reason for medical exemption? And considering Djokovic's actions, we all know the answer to that.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

Kudos to Ons Jabeur.
The Australian government set the rules. It was Novak who created the circus by refusing to adhere to them, lying about his disease status and dragging Tennis Australia into the fiasco.
That he KNEW he was positive and likely infectious and still wandered around at events maskless, demonstrates perfectly the kind of irredeemable arsehole the man is.

If he was ranked 100, you wouldn’t be caping for him. Kudos to the authorise for holding him to the same standard as all the “little people”.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
You thiink?.....

OSAKA: "I think it's an unfortunate situation. Like, he's such a great player and it's kind of sad that some people might remember him in this way. But I also think it's not up to tennis players, it's up to the government how Australia is deciding to handle it."

TSITSIPAS: "It has received a lot of attention, as I said. Not enough tennis has been talked about in the last couple of weeks, which is a shame."

DI MINAUR: "When you're coming in, as well as every other tennis player, if you wanted to come into the country, you had to be double vaccinated. It was up to him, his choices, his judgment."

NADAL: 'Australian Open is much more important than any player. If he's playing finally, okay. If he's not playing, the Australian Open will be great … with or without him."
Oh I see you didn't put this quote here, wonder why?

Font Line Circle Magenta Screenshot

·
Registered
8,338 Posts
Hopefully Ons isn't deported.

I don't know what to expect from the circus show Australian government.

·
La nuit je mens
92,283 Posts
Vaccines (other than covid) have been mandatory or needed for travelling in many areas of the world and nobody ever broke a sweat over that. Suddenly, now that we have a vaccine that we talk about a lot in media, we're having antivaxxers (or pro-choice like they like to call themselves) crying out loud everywhere. Where were you in the past ? Truth is you're just spilling your usual plot theory shit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sensible & pragmatic from Jabeur instead of the usual hyperbolic shreiking everywhere.
People have no sense of realism these days.
You have got yourself a new fan honourable lady!

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Vaccines (other than covid) have been mandatory or needed for travelling in many areas of the world and nobody ever broke a sweat over that. Suddenly, now that we have a vaccine that we talk about a lot in media, we're having antivaxxers (or pro-choice like they like to call themselves) crying out loud everywhere. Where were you in the past ? Truth is you're just spilling your usual plot theory shit.
Yes let's remember that yellow fever vaccine is mandatory for travelling to Brazil....which means that every player who played in the Rio Olympics tennis would have needed a jab to play there.

·
Registered
21,947 Posts

View attachment 205227
Ironically I have to consider this happened because Novak was so awfully unclear about his vaccination status before announcing the exemption. If he announced things earlier, the government would hopefully give him the right directions.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts

View attachment 205227
Zverev, the same guy who known for beating his ex girlfriend ? Lmao

I wish people would stop trying to hide behind Novaks accomplishments, and focus on him and his actions as a person.

Novak as a person, is a selfish, self centered, narcissistic, egotistical, try hard, people pleaser, who refuses to see or acknowledge when he's wrong. I peeped this in 2008 after he won his first slam, when federer had to tell Novak's family to shut up, because they would be screaming for Novak during, before and after points. Or when his entire box wore t shirts with his face on them at the 2010 US Open. Even now when they speak about him, its not that of family speaking on their son, husband or brother, but as if he is a god, that walks on water.

He wants so bad to be liked and revered as Nadal and Federer or Agassi or Sampras, and willing to do anything to make it happen. Even now he's blind to his own selfish wants and needs saying he wants to play at his favorite slam and the best fans, yet not willing to do the necessary precautions to play in the slam, and when the Australian fans/people are telling you to go home/away.

He tends to just speak and not listen, because his end goal is only to come off as the good guy that wants to please, not the self centered douche bag hes always been.

61 - 80 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.