Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
But he didn't really try to bend the rules.

It's not him who said that infected people can get in. It's Tennis Australia, and the Victoria commonwealth, almost certainly with knowledge of the federal government.

Only when shit hit the fan and there was a public outcry did they revert.
The federal government had already sent a letter indicating that a positive COVID test was not grounds for an exemption. Tennis Australia and the Victorian government both got that letter. They didn't read it or chose to ignore it. Djokovic's exemption reason was never going to be valid.

And who missed the Dec. 10 deadline? Djokovic. And who didn't have a positive test in the 6 months prior to Dec. 10? Djokovic. He needed a positive test to even get in under the old exemption requirements, and he didn't have one. And yet, he still tried to push the rules, with the help of Craig Tiley, to get an exemption.

·
Banned
811 Posts
The federal government had already sent a letter indicating that a positive COVID test was not grounds for an exemption. Tennis Australia and the Victorian government both got that letter. They didn't read it or chose to ignore it. Djokovic's exemption reason was never going to be valid.

And who missed the Dec. 10 deadline? Djokovic. And who didn't have a positive test in the 6 months prior to Dec. 10? Djokovic. He needed a positive test to even get in under the old exemption requirements, and he didn't have one. And yet, he still tried to push the rules, with the help of Craig Tiley, to get an exemption.
I'm very skeptical that a state government gave him the green light without getting the green light themselves from the federal government.

Regardless, if you're saying Djokovic messed up, well duh. But I think a huge part of the blame, maybe even bigger, falls on the prganizers and the administrators who told him he can come in.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
20,231 Posts
I'm very skeptical that a state government gave him the green light without getting the green light themselves from the federal government.

Regardless, if you're saying Djokovic messed up, well duh. But I think a huge part of the blame, maybe even bigger, falls on the prganizers and the administrators who told him he can come in.
But it's easier to be MAD at the "unvaccinated" !

So im going to do that.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ons, for the umpteenth time, nobody is trying to push the vaccine on Djokovic. He's perfectly free to not get a vaccine. But there are consequences for that. And he tried to have the rules bent to accommodate him. That's the problem. And considering he was basing his exemption off a positive COVID test in the past 6 months, which is not valid under the Commonwealth, the deadline for said exemption was Dec. 10, and he doesn't have a positive test until Dec. 16, it's pretty clear he wasn't asking for an exemption in good faith.
But he got the exemption. He succeeded in getting the exemption.

His error was being an idiot and bragging about on social media. If he would’ve kept his mouth shut, all this visa stuff could’ve been handle out of the public eye and without political influence. But he couldn’t live with people assuming he acquiesced and got vaccinated.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
39,386 Posts
"I feel like we should respect his choice that he didn’t want to get vaccinated. "

I don't understand this constant refrain. You can respect his choice to not get vaccinated and also realize his choice has consequences. I think he's perfectly within his right to not get vaccinated but he also has to face the consequences that come with that.
I respect Djokovic's choice that he doesn't want to get vaccinated.

I respect the Australia Government's choice that they will not allow unvaccinated people into the country as well.

Djokovic's very apparent lies in order to bypass the Australian Government's immigration requirements....that I find much more difficult to respect.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Are Australians stupid or do they really believe that this is all about trying to deport a player who bent the rules?

They are clearly trying to win the next election and all of this Anti Novak rhetoric is just pandering to the Australian public because they think it will go down well with the electorate, that's what they have been so strict with lockdowns because he can then point to statistics on covid rates and say look, lowest in the world. Never mind the poor mental health people suffer in the meantime, rises in domestic abuse, alcohol abuse, not being able to see family, not being able to attend funerals, missed/delated hospital appointments, missed/delated cancer screenings, anxieties over jobs, money, future etc.

What exactly is going to happen if Novak stays? people going to suddenly start dropping down dead as he approaches them? he's been made out to be some kind of mass murderer given some of the vitriol that's come his way. On the world stage Australia looks absolutely terrible and are unfit to host international events like this.

The government down there are just playing a political game in order to retain power and do not really give a shit about your health, if they did they'd ban smoking on the spot, but they sell them all over the country, something that has thousands of chemicals in just 1 cigarette and leads to lung diseases and cancers, including from second hand smoke. Never been any outrage there has there.

This virus affects a minority of people, those with underlying health issues and the elderly, it has shown to not affect children or healthy people in general, yet you're all carrying on like the black death has returned from the 14th century, future generation will laugh at all this nonsense. Everything has been so disproportionate.

Barely any question of big pharmaceutical companies either, provide a new medicine out of nowhere in a relatively short period of time when they normally take several years, and don't have to worry about being sued, they are laughing all the way to the bank whilst you're sitting at home spitting venom at a person who just wants to play some tennis, embarrassing.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts

I can believe that and maybe it's likely, but the only on record correspondence shows the Federal government following the rules as they are. Craig Tiley was clearly told it wouldn't be enough yet advised differently. There needs to be WAY more heat on him.

Djokovic has the biggest blame though.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Why is no one upset that there's no daily testing required for the crowd or players? If co-vid is so serious.

Of course they don't really care. This is all about politics and control, it's got nothing to do with public health. Probably 30 or 40 players will compete in the AO while COVID-positive since there is no testing... you're not going to raise your hand as a player if you've got minor cold symptoms and risk getting pulled out of the draw and losing $100,000 or more. Also a number of players surely came into the country with fake vaxx docs, and Australia doesn't care about that either. Novak's crime is that he challenged their mandate right to their faces instead of quietly going around it.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Getting stuck between a rock and a hard place in order for you to play is trying to force the vaccine on someone.
Countries have rules, and those rules are expected to be followed. If Djokovic actually had a legit reason for a medical exemption, nobody would be claiming that he's having the vaccine forced upon him.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
This virus affects a minority of people, those with underlying health issues and the elderly, it has shown to not affect children or healthy people in general, yet you're all carrying on like the black death has returned from the 14th century, future generation will laugh at all this nonsense. Everything has been so disproportionate.
That is the biggest crock I've heard. This has been repeatedly disproven by actual people with medical degrees called doctors. Plenty of children have been affected and have actually died. Healthy children. Healthy middle-aged people in great shape and NO underlying conditions have died. And the ones that haven't died, are stuck with long-haul effects. Marathon runners are now out of breath simply walking across a room.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Getting stuck between a rock and a hard place in order for you to play is trying to force the vaccine on someone.
Tell that to all the healthcare workers that were forced to triple mask and wear a space-suit in order to do their job the past 2 years. People in the world have been forced a lot more than Novaxx.

·
x
34,578 Posts
Are Australians stupid or do they really believe that this is all about trying to deport a player who bent the rules?

They are clearly trying to win the next election and all of this Anti Novak rhetoric is just pandering to the Australian public because they think it will go down well with the electorate, that's what they have been so strict with lockdowns because he can then point to statistics on covid rates and say look, lowest in the world. Never mind the poor mental health people suffer in the meantime, rises in domestic abuse, alcohol abuse, not being able to see family, not being able to attend funerals, missed/delated hospital appointments, missed/delated cancer screenings, anxieties over jobs, money, future etc.

What exactly is going to happen if Novak stays? people going to suddenly start dropping down dead as he approaches them? he's been made out to be some kind of mass murderer given some of the vitriol that's come his way. On the world stage Australia looks absolutely terrible and are unfit to host international events like this.

The government down there are just playing a political game in order to retain power and do not really give a shit about your health, if they did they'd ban smoking on the spot, but they sell them all over the country, something that has thousands of chemicals in just 1 cigarette and leads to lung diseases and cancers, including from second hand smoke. Never been any outrage there has there.

Barely any question of big pharmaceutical companies either, provide a new medicine out of nowhere in a relatively short period of time when they normally take several years, and don't have to worry about being sued, they are laughing all the way to the bank whilst you're sitting at home spitting venom at a person who just wants to play some tennis, embarrassing.
lol - it doesn't matter what happens to Novak, the Government is losing this election. Everyone is not happy with the results. Even in the eyes of pro-vax, we all think the cancelling notice was too slow.

It's not a question about his health, it's the bigger implications of him being allowed to play:
1. The Government has enforced a "no jab, no play/job" policy, meaning unvaxxed people can't work in most cases. Him being here (ie. his visa is not cancelled), will set a cascading effect downstream where everything that the Government has enforced will be questioned - this isn't something that I think most overseas people have considered 🤷
2. Him being here, and being unvaxxed also brings ire to those stuck overseas who have not been able to come back (even if they are vaxxed).
3. "the virus has shown to not affect children or healthy people in general" - I will agree to some extent, but in Australia we've had recent cases (last + this week) where someone fit, young and healthy died + an infant died too.

For the record, I don't think Novak should have even been allowed in, but I feel sorry for what he's going through. I don't blame him 100% for making the choice to come in, everyone here, has some degree of blame that's made this become so incredibly stupid, but the person who should take responsibility is Tiley.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
20,231 Posts
That is the biggest crock I've heard. This has been repeatedly disproven by actual people with medical degrees called doctors. Plenty of children have been affected and have actually died. Healthy children. Healthy middle-aged people in great shape and NO underlying conditions have died. And the ones that haven't died, are stuck with long-haul effects. Marathon runners are now out of breath simply walking across a room.
So why are we having sporting events where no one is required to be tested or socially distance?

It's the selective outrage for me.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It's odd that we were told to get vaccinated and when we have 90%, we just "live with the virus". And now we have done that and nothing is changing, the country is retreating. Just let him in to play. Seriously, the virus is everywhere, even I have had it and I prefer to stay in than go out. Is Novak being unvaccinated (or any unvaccinated person) really going to spread COVID any more than it already is? If you're sick, stay home. It's not that hard. If you're at risk, then remove yourself from situations which you cannot socially distance.

So many people I know had to leave home to get groceries or prescriptions from chemists while being positive in their isolation period because it was more convenient for them. Everyone will get COVID, the government needs to be proactive and not waste their time exercising ministerial power late on a Friday afternoon, get people back to work to improve the supply chain. It's cowardice and shows the government, that is in charge of enforcing these laws, have no idea how to administer them, because they are constantly getting overruled on procedural grounds. Everyone is saying Novak is trying to game the system, but the inept government have no idea how to administer laws they are tasked with enforcing.

Go to a shopping centre, there is hardly anyone there. People aren't going back to offices. Panic buying has started again. Capacity restrictions have started at major events again. Really? This isn't "living with the virus". It's creating fear in the community, and doing a weekly press conference to say you're taking action.

Victoria wants to phase out PCR testing. And you're shit out of luck to get a rapid test here. I've endured all the lockdowns in Victoria, but now it's just unnecessarily confusing, difficult and contradictory. But it's an election year. So f**** me I guess.

I have AO tickets for next Saturday, I absolutely wouldn't give a shit to sit next to an unvaccinated person. I'm vaxinated, and I can mind my own business. Why can't the Federal Government of Australia. It's so strage this is the sword they're willing to die for.

And in the end, it will be Craig Tilley that will be made a villain and asked to resign. The one person who is just trying to do his job and stage a great tournament for the benefit of our country on the global stage. He constantly will be bending over backwards for everyone. Like he always does, and it creates such a massive economic benefit to Australia. And Tennis Australia will get rid of him for optics. Sad.

·
Registered
878 Posts
which part of 'in general' do you not understand, why do you think children have not been the target group for vaccinations? they're not even close to be mandatory is most countries either. The emphasis has been elderly people or those with health issues.

Experts found a total of 25 youngsters died from the virus between March 2020 and February 2021. But the majority had underlying health conditions which made them vulnerable to the virus.
Of the six healthy children which died four were killed by the virus itself, while two succumbed to the Kawasaki-like disease called Paediatric Inflammatory Multisystem Syndrome Temporally (PIMS-TS).

Considering the 12million children in England, the researchers say this gives healthy children a one in 500,000 chance of dying from the virus.

·
x
34,578 Posts
It's odd that we were told to get vaccinated and when we have 90%, we just "live with the virus". And now we have done that and nothing is changing, the country is retreating. Just let him in to play. Seriously, the virus is everywhere, even I have had it and I prefer to stay in than go out. Is Novak being unvaccinated (or any unvaccinated person) really going to spread COVID any more than it already is? If you're sick, stay home. It's not that hard. If you're at risk, then remove yourself from situations which you cannot socially distance.

So many people I know had to leave home to get groceries or prescriptions from chemists while being positive in their isolation period because it was more convenient for them. Everyone will get COVID, the government needs to be proactive and not waste their time exercising ministerial power late on a Friday afternoon, get people back to work to improve the supply chain. It's cowardice and shows the government, that is in charge of enforcing these laws, have no idea how to administer them, because they are constantly getting overruled on procedural grounds. Everyone is saying Novak is trying to game the system, but the inept government have no idea how to administer laws they are tasked with enforcing.

Go to a shopping centre, there is hardly anyone there. People aren't going back to offices. Panic buying has started again. Capacity restrictions have started at major events again. Really? This isn't "living with the virus". It's creating fear in the community, and doing a weekly press conference to say you're taking action.

Victoria wants to phase out PCR testing. And you're shit out of luck to get a rapid test here. I've endured all the lockdowns in Victoria, but now it's just unnecessarily confusing, difficult and contradictory. But it's an election year. So f**** me I guess.

I have AO tickets for next Saturday, I absolutely wouldn't give a shit to sit next to an unvaccinated person. I'm vaxinated, and I can mind my own business. Why can't the Federal Government of Australia. It's so strage this is the sword they're willing to die for.

And in the end, it will be Craig Tilley that will be made a villain and asked to resign. The one person who is just trying to do his job and stage a great tournament for the benefit of our country on the global stage. He constantly will be bending over backwards for everyone. Like he always does, and it creates such a massive economic benefit to Australia. And Tennis Australia will get rid of him for optics. Sad.
We've opened up and have you been to the supermarket? Noticed any difference in supply chain?

21 - 40 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.