Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
I don’t think he would have personally led protests, but it would have created a precedent and certainly could have emboldened his psycho fans and those with anti-vax views. We can agree to disagree about whether that’s the case, because now we’ll never know. The judges couldn’t obtain “verifiable evidence” about whether it would happen without letting it play out. They felt it wasn’t worth the risk, and I’m inclined to agree.
Kicking him out could also have emboldened psycho fans and anti vaxx views. That’s why modern legal systems rely evidence and not speculation. Djokovic should not be responsible for the actions of others - he’s just there to play tennis. He attended last year, didn’t break any rules, won the tournament, and there was no problems. That is evidence.

it’s a scary world where people can turn a blind eye to due process

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Kicking him out could also have emboldened psycho fans and anti vaxx views. That’s why modern legal systems rely evidence and not speculation. Djokovic should not be responsible for the actions of others - he’s just there to play tennis. He attended last year, didn’t break any rules, won the tournament, and there was no problems. That is evidence.

It was also weird the system the federal court used to make the decision.

The minister, who used his personal power rights to remove Djokovic's visa from him, did not have to prove that Djokovic's presence would start anti-vaxx movement. Just sharing the possibility of it happening was enough to judges.

Meanwhile, Djokovic's defense had to prove that his presence does NOT start anti-vaxx movement, and that him being removed could also cause an anti-vaxx movement by people angry with the decision.

The minister's lawyer LLoyd used news articles like ABC/BBC to explain the danger of Djokovic causing an anti-vaxx movement, lol. I've lived in both the US and Austria for many years, and in neither of these countries mainstream news articles would be accepted as reputable source in a federal court hearing.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
"I feel like we should respect his choice that he didn’t want to get vaccinated. "

I don't understand this constant refrain. You can respect his choice to not get vaccinated and also realize his choice has consequences. I think he's perfectly within his right to not get vaccinated but he also has to face the consequences that come with that.

Totally agree. Choices have consequences.

And you know who's about to find out that choices have consequences?

Australia.

Throwing the best tennis player in the world out of your country for purely political reasons, with no legal basis for this violation of democratic standards, is going to have consequences.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Imagine having a chance to make history on your racket, on your favourite surface, with most of your rivals either too green or too old/fragile to challenge you, and deciding to shoot yourself in the d*ck instead. And then flying a 20,000 mile round trip just to tell the world that you’re the kind of colossal tool who wanders around maskless at a public event despite knowing that you’re infectious.

And all while the tournament has notably failed to experience dozens of players having to pull out due to side effects from the vaccine. It’s almost like the anti-vax movement was lying to us all along!

Insert “What a Maroon” gif. :rofl:

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Imagine having a chance to make history on your racket, on your favourite surface, with most of your rivals either too green or too old/fragile to challenge you, and deciding to shoot yourself in the d*ck instead. And then flying a 20,000 mile round trip just to tell the world that you’re the kind of colossal tool who wanders around maskless at a public event despite knowing that you’re infectious.

And all while the tournament has notably failed to experience dozens of players having to pull out due to side effects from the vaccine. It’s almost like the anti-vax movement was lying to us all along!

Insert “What a Maroon” gif. :rofl:
and now potentially be banned for 3 years from his favourite slam surface at the age of 34.

I really dont know what he was thinking. :facepalm:

Reactions: stpaulifan

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Djokovic is already the GOAT and he was prepared not to play the AO. Y’all are the ones who are bothered lol.
Yes he is already the GOAT now but his status is far more secure. Nadal could potentially take it back this year, especially if he keeps getting banned from slams.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
21,022 Posts
Yes he is already the GOAT now but his status is far more secure. Nadal could potentially take it back this year, especially if he keeps getting banned from slams.
He wasn’t banned from any slams. His visa was revoked. Stop using incorrect words.

he was in the draw and on the OOP until a few hours ago.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
He wasn’t banned from any slams. His visa was revoked. Stop using incorrect words.

he was in the draw and on the OOP until a few hours ago.
He is potentially banned from entering Australia for 3 years after being deported yesterday. I think those are the correct words.

Anyway, the end result is the same, bottom line he can’t play AO 2022.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
21,022 Posts
He is potentially banned from entering Australia for 3 years after being deported yesterday. I think those are the correct words.

Anyway, the end result is the same, bottom line he can’t play AO 2022.
“Banned from entering Australia” is not the same as Banned from Slams. There are 3 other slams he can play this year.

Y’all are tiresome.

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
“Banned from entering Australia” is not the same as Banned from Slams. There are 3 other slams he can play this year.

Y’all are tiresome.
I know it’s not the same. That’s why I corrected my wordings in my post that you last quoted. Do we really have to get into argument regarding this small details, which is not at all the point I’m trying to make? :facepalm:

You are the one that tire yourself out…

Reactions: Aaron.

·
Premium Member
Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
5,622 Posts
Ons, for the umpteenth time, nobody is trying to push the vaccine on Djokovic. He's perfectly free to not get a vaccine. But there are consequences for that. And he tried to have the rules bent to accommodate him. That's the problem. And considering he was basing his exemption off a positive COVID test in the past 6 months, which is not valid under the Commonwealth, the deadline for said exemption was Dec. 10, and he doesn't have a positive test until Dec. 16, it's pretty clear he wasn't asking for an exemption in good faith.
Absolutely blatantly wrong here! Of Course they are forcing Vaccination on him otherwise he can't do his Job.

Here is what he said back in August 2020 prior to Tennis resuming
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/20/sports/tennis/djokovic-us-open.html?
action=click&module=RelatedLinks&pgtype=Article

Djokovic said his own experience with the coronavirus had not altered his views on vaccines. He has said that he would have a difficult decision to make if receiving a coronavirus vaccine became mandatory to compete on the tennis circuit.

“I see that the international media has taken that out of context a little bit, saying that I am completely against vaccines of any kind,” he said. “My issue here with vaccines is if someone is forcing me to put something in my body. That I don’t want. For me that’s unacceptable. I am not against vaccination of any kind, because who am I to speak about vaccines when there are people that have been in the field of medicine and saving lives around the world? I’m sure that there are vaccines that have little side effects that have helped people and helped stop the spread of some infections around the world.”

But Djokovic did express concern about potential issues with a coronavirus vaccine.

“How are we expecting that to solve our problem when this coronavirus is mutating regularly from what I understand?” he said.

·
La nuit je mens
93,397 Posts
who am I to speak about vaccines when there are people that have been in the field of medicine and saving lives around the world?

But Djokovic did express concern about potential issues with a coronavirus vaccine.
Those two sentences put together make no sense. Djokovic should realise his views make no sense.

·
Premium Member
Bianca Andreescu, Iga Swiatek
5,622 Posts

Agreed. I was actually speechless when Immigration Minister Hawke gave the reasons he cancelled his Visa on Friday. My mouth was open and I thought. What the heck is he pulling here now?

181 - 200 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.