Tennis Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"He saw an opportunity to get an exemption so he took it, and you cannot blame him for that"- Ons Jabeur on Novak Djokovic's visa controversy

Ons Jabeur recently weighed in on Novak Djokovic's visa controversy, pointing out that the Serb was granted a medical exemption before arriving in Melbourne and as such should not be blamed for the events that have unfolded in Australia.
Djokovic landed in Melbourne with a medical exemption but was detained at the airport and had his visa revoked by Border Force officials, who deemed he did not meet the requirements for unvaccinated entry.

The Serb, however, had his visa reinstated by Judge Anthony Kelly, who also ordered his immediate release from immigration detention, making him eligible to feature at the Australian Open.
Commenting on the issue, Ons Jabeur said she hoped Djokovic was not the victim of a political game. The Tunisian also pointed out that it was no surprise Djokovic did everything in his power to try and arrive in Melbourne, given the fact that he is chasing a record 21st Slam title.

“I hope it’s not political as people are saying. I feel like he’s going for a historical run this season, especially at the Australian Open, and he saw an opportunity to get an exemption so he took it, and you cannot blame him for that really," said Jabeur.

Jabeur also said people should respect Djokovic's stance on vaccinations and not try and force their opinions on the Serb.

“I feel like some players they blame him for coming, some players they don’t. I feel like we should respect his choice that he didn’t want to get vaccinated. If they didn’t want him to come, why did you give the exemption and everything? So, I feel like it’s tough what’s happening to him or to anybody; it’s a very, very tough situation. So, I don’t know. I have no idea," she added.

"He saw an opportunity to get an exemption so he took it, and you cannot blame him for that"- Ons Jabeur on Novak Djokovic's visa controversy (sportskeeda.com)

·
Keep calm and be gay.
52,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh wait. Wrong forum.
Ons Jabeur is an active WTA player. If former WTA player Navratilova’s opinion on this matter can stay here, so can this. Even more so. :secret:

·
Registered
699 Posts
"I feel like we should respect his choice that he didn’t want to get vaccinated. "

I don't understand this constant refrain. You can respect his choice to not get vaccinated and also realize his choice has consequences. I think he's perfectly within his right to not get vaccinated but he also has to face the consequences that come with that.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
20,194 Posts
"I feel like we should respect his choice that he didn’t want to get vaccinated. "

I don't understand this constant refrain. You can respect his choice to not get vaccinated and also realize his choice has consequences. I think he's perfectly within his right to not get vaccinated but he also has to face the consequences that come with that.
Yeah the consequence is that his immune system will have to fight the virus on his own (99% survival rate), he doesn't need to be treated differently by everyone who is still capable of spreading the disease.

Get off the high horse.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Yeah the consequence is that his immune system will have to fight the virus on his own (99% survival rate), he doesn't need to be treated differently by everyone who is still capable of spreading the disease.

Get off the high horse.
The consequence is that a country's rules must be followed for entry. Many countries have extremely stringent rules for entry, well beyond any pandemic rules. Spare me all of the Covid talking points for any side. You could replace vaccine with any placeholder criteria and it would be the same.

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
20,194 Posts
The consequence is that a country's rules must be followed for entry. Many countries have extremely stringent rules for entry, well beyond any pandemic rules. Spare me all of the Covid talking points for any side. You could replace vaccine with any placeholder criteria and it would be the same.
They allow exemptions. Within the rules 🤷

So why you still mad ?

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
Ons, for the umpteenth time, nobody is trying to push the vaccine on Djokovic. He's perfectly free to not get a vaccine. But there are consequences for that. And he tried to have the rules bent to accommodate him. That's the problem. And considering he was basing his exemption off a positive COVID test in the past 6 months, which is not valid under the Commonwealth, the deadline for said exemption was Dec. 10, and he doesn't have a positive test until Dec. 16, it's pretty clear he wasn't asking for an exemption in good faith.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Ons, for the umpteenth time, nobody is trying to push the vaccine on Djokovic. He's perfectly free to not get a vaccine. But there are consequences for that. And he tried to have the rules bent to accommodate him. That's the problem. And considering he was basing his exemption off a positive COVID test in the past 6 months, which is not valid under the Commonwealth, the deadline for said exemption was Dec. 10, and he doesn't have a positive test until Dec. 16, it's pretty clear he wasn't asking for an exemption in good faith.
But he didn't really try to bend the rules.

It's not him who said that infected people can get in. It's Tennis Australia, and the Victoria commonwealth, almost certainly with knowledge of the federal government.

Only when shit hit the fan and there was a public outcry did they revert.

·
Registered
8,102 Posts
She has a point.

Australia messed up big time. They wanted to let him in and when there was a backlash, they reverted.

Djokovic of course turned out to be a fraud as well.

There's dirt on everyone involved in this mess.
Uh, no. The Victorian government and Tennis Australia wanted to let him in. Not most Australians. And they neglected to read (or ignored) the new letter from the Commonwealth indicating that simply having a positive COVID test in the past 6 months would no longer be a valid exemption reason.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.