Tennis Forum banner

One year ago she was in the midst of a 10-match losing streak, now she is so great!

2K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  Kampi 
#1 ·
One year ago Jelena Jankovic was in the midst of a 10-match losing streak and working her way down the rankings. Now she just won a Tier 1 title. What did she do? Why is she playing so well now?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

#2 ·
Re: One year ago she was in the midst of a 10-match losing streak, now she is so great!

I know, it's crazy isn't it? But that just makes her recent form all the more sweet.

She has said during that losing streak many factors contributed to her poor performance. She had injuries, illnesses, plus she was losing interest in her tennis and focusing on her studies. But seems now she has her mind made up that she wants to stay in the top 10 and be one of the best in the world. Great to see her winning.

#5 ·
Re: One year ago she was in the midst of a 10-match losing streak, now she is so great!

i guess it called hard work, and i love that she fought through it now what she gets is winning and beating a lot of great players. You can tell against the really hard hitter she does tend to struggle. Running for every shot tires her a bit because after a serve she tends to miss, worth the sacrifice i don't know...

#6 ·

SOmetimes it happens in tennis, you just go through a bad patch, then it just clicks into place. I suppose to makes her success now all the more sweeter to her.

#8 ·

I think she's just great. I always thought she had a lot of talent, but I think that of so many players who never get out of the top 20 or who never even get to the top 20. The tour is filled with unmet potential, but JJ decided to work on meeting hers. She also seems to have a really nice support group, which helps.

#14 ·

I think it just shows that if you have talent, stick with it and overcome the obsticles than can get in your way...of success or whatever, than that only makes you a stronger person, and player.

Jelena has shown that shes mentally alot stronger than ever before and she is now making some noise on tour. Its not over, i predict that she will be a mainstay in the top ten for the next 5 years at least and possibly, im not saying its a guarenty, but possibly achieve status of GRAND SLAM CHAMPION. theres alot of strong talent now coming up with the reapearance of Vee And serena, but i can see Jelena winning 1 or 2 or even 3 slams in her career....shes got the goods...she just needs the luck and a bit more firepower off her groundies!

GO JECA!

#15 ·

Yeah sure shes done well but who has she had to beat??? She crumbled against Justine in the US Semi's and couldnt beat an out of sorts Justine in Doha semis. Couldnt beat a 'distracted' lets say! Kimmy at Sydney. She was expected by many to beat Serena at the AO.... was swept off the court. While her climb since this time last year has been brilliant, she still has a long way to go before she can proof mentally, that she can beat the top players at the top events....

#16 ·

Yeah sure shes done well but who has she had to beat??? She crumbled against Justine in the US Semi's and couldnt beat an out of sorts Justine in Doha semis. Couldnt beat a 'distracted' lets say! Kimmy at Sydney. She was expected by many to beat Serena at the AO.... was swept off the court. While her climb since this time last year has been brilliant, she still has a long way to go before she can proof mentally, that she can beat the top players at the top events....
Kuznetsova,Dementieva,Vaidisova x 2, Mauresmo, Hingis, lost to Kim in an even match and had a MP in the same...pushed Henin to three sets last few times they played, beat Serena in front of her crowd, beat Venus in Wimbeldon! and then again beat Venus infront of her crowd, now defeated Safina who is top 10....had no bad loss except for Santangelo one....your just jelous cause she's better ranked then your faves....and thats just low

#17 ·

Careers are just like individual matches: the momentum can change suddenly and drastically. Jankovic has the confidance of a top player and I think that's attitude is ingrained her now.

#20 ·

jankovic is at her peak 23yrs but everything that goes up must come down.the buzz on this board about jj is fascinating but for christ sake she only has 2 titles.these people she is beating have already achieved greatness and are legends in their time,some have multiple titles including slams but a loss to jj does not diminish their accomplishments.
ana has the same achievements and younger and more attractive and i believe more potential.i think her face has been at all tournaments and its now a little bit annoying.there are real young players who are doing better like chakvetadze and other players like na li,hantukova.
i have seen matches from the time monica used to play and to hear someone considered great playing thirty something and winning just two titles thats just ridiculous.

#26 ·

she won three titles by the way.

#27 ·

predrag meant to say if jelena wins a slam in the future :p

btw. my new tennis coach's name ( i have never trained with him before ) is predrag :)

#28 ·

it doesn't matter. it really doesn't. right now a lot of people that havent had the chance to be really happy for their favourite got it. it's a good thing.

#39 ·

I know, I'm still amazed how well she is playing based on her 1-10 record start last year. That's amazing how a player can do that.

Stevenson is 1-7 and with the rest of the claycourt season i'm sure that will fall to 1-10. Maybe she can pull a Jankovic of this year.

:lol: I'm just kidding guys. But damn, would i LOVE to see it happen!:sad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.