Tennis Forum banner

361 - 380 of 406 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Kucova reaching semis in Rogers Cup few years ago (2016 I believe) out of literally nowhere.

·
Registered
55,124 Posts
Monica Puig is the perfect example!

Olympic champion. And before and after nothing. Never again this high level.

·
31,089 Posts
Expecting some of these to achieve some more results, but still for now, in recent years:

Leonie Kung - 2020 Hua Hin Finalist
Renata Zarazua - 2020 Acapulco SFinalist
Astra Sharma - 2019 Bogota Finalist
Chloe Paquet - 2019 Strasbourg SFinalist
Martina Di Giuseppe - 2019 Bucharest SFinalist (on a 4-14 slump since then)
Katarina Zavatska - 2019 Tashkent SFinalist

·
Banned
5,263 Posts
Expecting some of these to achieve some more results, but still for now, in recent years:

Astra Sharma, being Australian, will be afforded more opportunities to add more runs to the resume.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

Don't you watch Grand Slams? Astra Sharma reached the final of the 2019 Australian Open Mixed Doubles and was a semi-finalist this year. Leonie Kung was runner-up to Iga Swiatek in the 2018 Wimbledon Junior Girls' Singles. She's still only 19!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I don't see how Beatrice Capra has ANY rivals for this title. After reaching USO 3R in '010, beating #95 Sprem and #20 Rezai (on a WC entry), Capri never won another main draw match in a tour-level event; her only other career WTA/Grand Slam MD appearance was a 1R loss at Washington in 2013.

Besides the 2 rounds at the USO, she had only 1 other Top 200 match win in her career.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I don't see how Beatrice Capra has ANY rivals for this title. After reaching USO 3R in '010, beating #95 Sprem and #20 Rezai (on a WC entry), Capri never won another main draw match in a tour-level event; her only other career WTA/Grand Slam MD appearance was a 1R loss at Washington in 2013.

Besides the 2 rounds at the USO, she had only 1 other Top 200 match win in her career.
Good call! She went on to play college tennis, yes? I don't know what happened to her after college years.

Here's another contender: Julie Coin is undefeated against top 10 players, beating then-#1 Ivanovic for her lone consecutive match win (she never before nor after won back-to-back tour-level matches) at the 2008 US Open.

She never played a top 10 player outside of that lone match. Talk about making it count!

·
Registered
4,489 Posts

How the hell do you remember something this weird?????

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
1,450 Posts
Honestly, I haven't read through the thread at all except the last page but the only players to make a SF in their only event are Kaylah McPhee at Anning 2019 and Martina Di Giuseppe as previously mentioned. Only including WTA main draw, 125k and up level.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
Martina Di Giuseppe has not won consecutive matches since her SF run in Bucharest last year.

Kawa is on the watchlist after her Jurmala finalist run last year.

361 - 380 of 406 Posts