Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's fantastic that Venus can serve 127mph. It's great that Capriati accelerates her forehand when she is on the run. Congratulations Monica that you hit it hard and angled. But running, serving, depth, angles, and whatever other technical detail you can think of is not the point.

The question is, of the Top 20 in the world, if they were all to get a shot that was waist-high and at the baseline, perectly set up for them, who would, on average, hit the ball the hardest?

This is an interesting question, because Venus and Serena hit it hard on the run, Lindsay crushes short balls and hits it deep, Seles finds hard angles, Clijsters has a huge forehand, and Mauresmo hits it so heavy, but I'm talking about raw MPH on an average groundstroke.

In my opinion (that nobody will agree with I'm sure), the hardest striker on tour of the average groundstroke is...

... :wavey:

Jelena Dokic. And I'm not saying this because I like her. Actually she is one of my least favorite players.

What do you think?

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
honestly, no moving at all: seles, dokic and davenport would be neck and neck

they all CRUSH the ball when they are set up...

alot of players can hit EXTRMELY hard but those three without moving kill the ball...

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree MonicAnna, I was thinking about it and I would put the order

1) Dokic
2) Davenport
3) Seles

All VERY close to each other.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I don't really know, but I can say this: I seriously doubt that it's Jelena. She hits primarily a flat ball, which means she has to back off the power or it goes long. See, with no topspin, there's nothing to pull it down onto the court.

..Joe

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
joegerardi said:
I don't really know, but I can say this: I seriously doubt that it's Jelena. She hits primarily a flat ball, which means she has to back off the power or it goes long. See, with no topspin, there's nothing to pull it down onto the court.

..Joe
um.....lindsay hits so flat as well...and if youve ever seen jelena play you would know that this girl does not hold back AT ALL when she hits the ball...i saw her practice and man....WOW...she hits harder than hard...

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
seriously though, there is NO QUESTION that standing still, no moving...if u include the entire tour...

MIRJANA LUCIC hits WAY harder than the rest

it is SICKENING how hard she hits it :worship:

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Lindsay hits flat? Uh, no. You can obviously see the loop she has on both wings. Loop = topspin.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
but I think Monica and Venus have more Natural power than anyone else

If serena didnt have those muscles she'd be screwed (i'm not trying to be mean, but its true) Venus has more natural power.

i mean the fact that she has a third of the muscle mass of Rena has MUCH thinner thighs and can still generate 96% of her power just tells that

and Monica back in the day was a tiny TINY little thing, and she blew everyone off the court

·
Registered
34,670 Posts
:wavey: mmcdonald...

its NOT serena...on the run for sure yes, but in a neutral postition other players hit harder than serena...even venus does...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts