Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching James Blake vs. Schalken (?) today on espn, and it occured to me that we hardly ever see 2 women with one handers play against each other. What's up with that? Is it the Evert effect? I personally think the one hander is more natural. If it's a power thing, how come so many men have one handers? It has to be more than that.

Opinions please.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
DA BACKHAND said:
I remember when I took a tennis course the tennis teacher forced everyone to used a 2 handed-back, it's just the way a lot of tennis players are teached to play tennis now.

And I watched Bolletieri last week and he telling the girl to volley with 2 hands, that surprised me.
Maybe he was doing that because his pupils are younger and maybe dont have enough upper body streng YET to hit a powerful volley with one hand?

I think a lot of the time, the women done have enough enough upper body strength to hit a decent one handed topspin/flat shot.

However, I love to see women with one handed backhands, who can use slice - like Jennifer.

Graf used to have a wonderful one handed backhand - a deadly slice, and when she felt like it, a ferocious topspin backhand, almost as powerful as her forehand.

She seemed to save the topspin backhand for really huge points though - like when Hingis was serving for the match in RG 99, 15-0 up, and at the net - Graf was out of position and hit an awsome one handed topspin backhand cross court, which rocketed passed Chucky.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was also taught to play two-handed, and I didn't object since I wanted to play like Monica ;), but then I just started itchin to play with one hand, so I got rid of the two-hander.

Maybe teachers think it's easier to learn a 2 hander?
I was teaching my 6 year old niece to play with 2 hands, but that was only coz she's small.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
liuxuan said:
Maybe he was doing that because his pupils are younger and maybe dont have enough upper body streng YET to hit a powerful volley with one hand?

I think a lot of the time, the women done have enough enough upper body strength to hit a decent one handed topspin/flat shot.

However, I love to see women with one handed backhands, who can use slice - like Jennifer.

Graf used to have a wonderful one handed backhand - a deadly slice, and when she felt like it, a ferocious topspin backhand, almost as powerful as her forehand.

She seemed to save the topspin backhand for really huge points though - like when Hingis was serving for the match in RG 99, 15-0 up, and at the net - Graf was out of position and hit an awsome one handed topspin backhand cross court, which rocketed passed Chucky.

I didn't watch Steffi play much, but I try to catch her classic matches. Venus also uses slice sometimes.
Personally I think they are in general more fun to watch.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,857 Posts
The 2-hander is definitely easier to learn, especially if you are very young when you start. Some male players change to the topspin one-hander when they start to mature physically, in their late teens. So a lot of the pros have excellent solid one-handers.
I agree that with the women it's a case of strength that prevents them from playing that shot. Most of the women could probably master the shot if they spent long enough trying, but without a strong arm and body it can be hard to time the contact properly, especially when the ball's coming at 70mph. Only the most talented can pull it off - the rest try it once or twice in their lives and decide that two hands is just so much easier and reliable.
It's a pity there aren't more because a sweetly struck one-handed backhand is a thing of beauty.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
mboyle said:
Well that is because two handers are better. They give you more control, accuracy, and power. I think one handers are great on the run, but two handers are better in general.
I have to disagree with you. Neither is better, just different. a 2BH limits your reach, and EVERY 2BH player MUST have a 1BH for long reaches.

Power is equivalent if you work at it, but I will admit that there's more topspin on a 2BH. However, there's no real way to hit slice without advertising on the 2BH, and if you see a 2BH player swinging with one hand, you can pretty much guarantee they're going for a slice shot. Accuracy? the 2BH is NOT more accurate. I play both as needed, though recently, I've become mostly a 1BH, (I was a 2BH player for 20 years) and I can stick that anywhere I want to. Also, with a 1BH, you can disguise your shots much better.

I teach both to my students, and then let them select what they want to play. In only 1 case did I disagree with a student, whose 1BH was much better than their 2BH, so I was able to convince her to go 1BH.

..Joe

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
For me I first learned how to play 2 handed..it surprised me though when I went to high school that my coach taught the guys how to play with one hand..particularly because he was a one hander himself but usually when he teaches it to us most of the time the members on the team just use the one handed backhand as more of a defensive shot..u know just to put it back into the court..the girls though he taught them how to play with both hands..and I gotta agree that it has to do with the strength factor..but my coach taught EVERYONE how to do a one handed backhand slice (even the girls) and I too definitely think it is a thing of beauty! :hearts:

I would love to see more WTA players develop one handed backhands because 1. it would add more variety to the game and 2. that's the reason why I love watching Justine play! lol Althought it could be hard for 2 handers to switch to 1 hand but I know for a fact that they can still learn how to hit a 1 handed slice..Arantxa for example had a very solid slice even though she was a natural 2 hander.

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Didn't Pete Sampras have a two hander at one time?

The reason I actually switched to a one hander was because I could not hit a 2 hander on the run. I never quite got the hang of it.

·
Registered
27,777 Posts
moon said:
Didn't Pete Sampras have a two hander at one time?

The reason I actually switched to a one hander was because I could not hit a 2 hander on the run. I never quite got the hang of it.
When he was younger, but I'm pretty sure one of his long time coaches changed that before he turned pro...

·
Registered
593 Posts
What we need is a Corina Morariu/Justine Henin-Hardenne match up. We almost had on at the Wimbledon too!

·
Plainclothes Division
5,873 Posts
I think a lot of it is stereotype. They teach the girls the two-hander because they figure they can't handle the one-hander. Much like how Billie Jean King said they wouldn't teach girls certain serves back in her day, and she had to sneak in and watch the boys to learn it.

There are still some good one-handers around. Justine, Momo, Eleni Daniilidou, Anna Pistolesi, Alexanda Stevenson, Virginia Ruano-Pascual, Corina Morariu, Francesca Schiavone, Rita Grande, Magüi Serna, Silvia Farina-Elia, Conchita Martinez, and some others.
I've found that when you hit the 1-hander at the proper contact point (about the width of your shoulders in front of your body), that you can actually hit it harder than a 2-hander. Plus, the earlier contact point gives opponents less time to react. I tried the 2-hander, and it felt... constipated. Like I was restricting myself. I much prefer the options a 1-hander gives you.

·
Premium Member
19,990 Posts
When I was taught to play in the late 80's I was forced to use a one-hander and was always told off when I tried to use two hands. Here in Australia they were pretty old school and discouraged the two-hander. No idea how things are these days (I don't play anymore)...I imagine times have changed and (hopefully) kids can make up their own minds.

Edit (cos I want to talk about myself some more) - I rarely play tennis these days, but when I do I prefer using a one hander so I guess the coaches got their way in the end :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
It is a shame that there is so little variety, especially in the women's game today.

I think Martina Navratilova said that a baseliner's game matures a lot quicker than a serve vollyers, because a SV is more complex. With the pressure on kids to start earlier, and be successful from a very young age, I guess it makes sense for a 5 year old to hold the racquet with both hands. Also, kids want to emulate and play like their heroes, and with so many players with double handed backhands, tyhe single handed backhand is pretty near extinction.

Not sure if you guys caught the pro set that edberg and becker played at Queens this year. Such elegnat elegant tennis, and to think that that was only around less than 10 years ago..........

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
i started off with a 2-handed bh and changed and i havent contemplated going back..

i slice 99% of the time and it really is much tougher for the other guys to attack off it seeing they arent used to it , so its much easier to stay aggressive IMO (provided u can nail ur f.h)

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you guys think having a one hander actually hurts some players? Momo and Justine are the only ones in the top 10 that have one.

Meanwhile Federer has a one hander and he's at the top of the heap in the men's game.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.