Tennis Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the one handed backhand the way to go?

notice that both players who have beaten serena this year have one handed backhands...

the advantages of a one handed backhand
1) greater reach
2) easier to slice
3) able to hit backhand approach on the run, culminating in an 3 metre advantage to the net over a two handed player

Reactions: Gowza

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Well, I use one, which doesn't mean much cause I suck....I problem I have with it is that if the ball is deep and fast I sometimes don't have enough time to prepare and I'm forced to hit a two-hander...it also happens to break down easier on me, but that's just my problem! =D

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
also it is easier to volley. i think it looks better. i have a one-handed backhand and i'm biased about so... but on the plus side for a double-handed backhand yoou can get better angles.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Rtael, i have the same problem with preparing.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
yeah....I think the one-handed is better for overheads too....I've hit some pretty weird looking shots with a one handed backhand overhead, but they were pretty good shots anyway!

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i also think it is good for high backhand volley's because the wrist is usually stronger because of playing with a one-handed backhand and it allows for backhanded smash volley's.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
I use both backhands. Primarily the one-handed slice or topspin. Occasionally I hit flat one-handers and use the two hander to hit lobs or when I am close to the ball and feel set up I will belt a two hander.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
yeah i use both as well but mainly the one-handed backhand. i slice one-handed and hit flat or topspin one-handed but i also hit flat or topspin off a two-hander but not very often. i do the same with my forehand. i mainly use the one-hander (flat, top spin, slice) or the two-hander for the flat or top spin shot. i lob both one-handed and two-handed off both sides depending on the situation.

i use all shots to keep my opponent guessing that's the main reason i use so many different styles for the one wing.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Interesting about the one-handers giving Rena trouble, but this has been developing for a while now.

The key to defeating Rena is to get her making enough UE's. You can no longer achieve this by simply retrieving (a la Venus, Jen Cap and Kim), but by altering the spin, pace, placement and trajectory of your ball. All this while hitting forcefully (or approaching when necessary).

A great-one hander has the natural versatility that the two-hander sorely lacks. And both Justine and Amelie have taken cues from the more difficult matches Rena has experienced over the year.

Couple this with their natural proensity toward clay (and Rena's vulnerability) and you have the wins. Great stuff!

·
Registered
12,950 Posts
I have a 2handed, and i think that it is easier to rally from the back of the court with a 2 handed, and it is also easier to use your opponents pace.
About the reach factor, I occasionally use a 1 handed slice on hard to reach balls or approch shots.

As for the volleys, i use a 1 handed when the ball is low, a 2 handed when the ball is high or for a drive volley.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
volleying 2-handed is the sign of a poor player ;)

Can't tell you how many tiems I've heard that from players, coaches, umpires, officials etc...

Oh, and apparently if a player uses a babolat racket, the are also crap, coz that racket can make you appear far better than you actually are.

Again, can't tell you teh number of times players, STRINGERS, officials have said that.

As with all shtos, i think you need versatility, its no good being a single hander if you can't hit a double, or vice versa.

Slice are the best though, get it right and the ball won't bounce, just sit back and watch teh UE's stack up ;)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
paul_masterton, what's a babolat racket? how do you mean it makes the player look better than they really are? not being aggressive just curious.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
2-handers need to have both, but a 1-hander does not. That said, neither is better, just different. 2BH will give you better topspin, power, and placement, 1BH gives you better reach, better backspin and slice, and it's much easier to disguise where you're going to hit. The recovery from a 2BH is a little easier because you've opened your body back into the court, but if you concentrate on footwork after the 1BH, you can get very close to the same recovery time.

The BEST BH is the one that works for you. (Or BOTH, if that's the case.)

..Joe

PS: The adage about 2BH volleys being poor volleys is true, You destroy your reach, and an experienced player at the net will eat you alive with angles.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
babolat rackets are the easiest rackets to use, the basically do all teh work.

Hence its the most popular racket by far (this is the blue one Kim uses) for girls ranked 500 downwards beacsue it gives them more power and more control than they actually have. Alot of the girls on teh tour are tiny things you coudl snap in half at challenger level, so they string their racket with a really low tension and sue babolat to give them more power.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Good observation. Emilie Loit also gave her some trouble and even if she has a 2 handed bh, she seldom use it, relying instead on her slice. More girls should use a slice, particularly against power players and on clay.

·
Registered
32,932 Posts
it's good to be able to hit both single and double handed backhands no?

easy: on the approach shot - i think Martina Hingis did a good job of hitting the backhand approach shot [a flat/topspin shot] while moving in.

·
Banned
368 Posts
gorecki said:
it's good to be able to hit both single and double handed backhands no?

easy: on the approach shot - i think Martina Hingis did a good job of hitting the backhand approach shot [a flat/topspin shot] while moving in.
yupyup, i use primarily double handed BH,
but when i need to make an approach shot,
i need to use one handed BH........

but my BH, like Dementieva...:)......is my liability..
ihavent been able to master the control lik my FH

1 - 17 of 17 Posts