Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not with her current results, Kim should not be an imminent #1. Tour Championships and 1 Slam Final are not enough.

However, the blame for this discrepancy falls not on Kim, the yearly schedule, the ranking system or any supposed "official bias".

The blame falls on one person and one person only. Serena Williams.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
selesfan said:
:rolleyes: Yes, Serena should wear herself out and play 30 tournaments a year.
Maybe she should wear herself out and play 15. Seems to work OK for the entire rest of the planet.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Why not, everyone else is good enough to do it. I reckon it would restore a lot more parity and depth to the women's game if Serena was as tired as everyone else, maybe that way more players would be able to beat her on an off-day.

Actually though, this really IS Clijsters' fault for being so darned consistent and racking up the points at every tournament this year. If only she'd been decent enough to put in a few tanks and chokes earlier in tournaments and throw some lower-ranked opponents a bone every now and then, she wouldn't be giving the Williams fans all this nasty stress and worry about the rankings.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
selesfan said:
Please, all of you would be whining if she played more because then your faves wouldn't get a chance to win.
no "ifs" please, as infiniti would kindly tell you

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I doubt it, because all the tournaments she does play are the ones that we want our favourites to win - ie, the Grand Slams. Now if she was good enough to expand her schedule and play a couple more Tier II events while simultaneously dropping a couple of Slams - let's say Wimbledon and the US Open, hypothetically - then we'd all be happy as Larry.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
As much as it seems to PAIN fans of Serena that Kim might take over the #1 spot, the only person this really hurts is Serena. If she has decided to play this few tournaments, she knows she risks losing her ranking. It is her decision and clearly she has decided her priority to making sure she is 100% healthy for the slams.

i will be the first to congratulate Kim if she gets the #1 ranking. she would "deserve" it, in as much as she has more points than Serena. There ain't no WAY that Kim is the BEST player in the country though. Regardless of whether she takes over the #1 ranking this summer, Serena is the better player: More titles. more slams. no contest.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
You know I really wish Serena played more tournaments and I really wished she would participate at the bank of the west classic so that there would be a real fight. I am so sick and tired of reading and hearing the same crapp all the time again. Really people I know the ranking system isn't perfect but you can't change it by complaing and whining nor can you give a certain player the guilt just because she is more consistent.

·
Registered
8,943 Posts
"tanks and chokes earlier in tournaments and throw some lower-ranked opponents a bone every now and then, she wouldn't be giving the Williams fans all this nasty stress and worry about the rankings."

Correction, I'm a fan of Venus Williams, not stressed at all by the rankings, I know that when she plays and is healthy she can beat anyone(even if she has an injury Kim).

Instead of whining about Venus and or Serena pulling out of tournaments the "others" should be smiling. Think of it like I.W. a chance for someone else to win a big title outside of the clay courts, w/out playing thier absolute best tennis.

·
Registered
465 Posts
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah............

Reactions: Lien

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RAA said:
There ain't no WAY that Kim is the BEST player in the country though.
Since you think the WTA is about a single country, I assume that would make you American. Not your fault, you are programmed to ignore the rest of the world.

·
Registered
13,640 Posts
Well Kim isn't the best player imo that's Serena but nothing stops Serena off playing more tournaments. So it's normal that Kim (or Justine) are coming that close to her number 1 spot. So it is deserved.

Reactions: Lien

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
RAA said:
As much as it seems to PAIN fans of Serena that Kim might take over the #1 spot, the only person this really hurts is Serena. If she has decided to play this few tournaments, she knows she risks losing her ranking. It is her decision and clearly she has decided her priority to making sure she is 100% healthy for the slams.

i will be the first to congratulate Kim if she gets the #1 ranking. she would "deserve" it, in as much as she has more points than Serena. There ain't no WAY that Kim is the BEST player in the country though. Regardless of whether she takes over the #1 ranking this summer, Serena is the better player: More titles. more slams. no contest.
Since she ain't American and Serena is, I'd say Clijsters certainly isn't the best player in the country...

Hewitt did a similar thing on the men's side, drastically reducing his schedule to try and prioritise the Grand Slams and to make sure he was fully prepared for the big events; the difference is that he's done terribly at them as well, which is why he's dropped to No. 5 in the world. Serena, of course, has no such problem. It's at times like this when you wish there was a female equivalent of a Karlovic to knock her out in the first round (and then realise that, of course, she is the nearest thing to a female Karlovic herself).

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
DA FOREHAND said:
"tanks and chokes earlier in tournaments and throw some lower-ranked opponents a bone every now and then, she wouldn't be giving the Williams fans all this nasty stress and worry about the rankings."

Correction, I'm a fan of Venus Williams, not stressed at all by the rankings, I know that when she plays and is healthy she can beat anyone(even if she has an injury Kim).

Instead of whining about Venus and or Serena pulling out of tournaments the "others" should be smiling. Think of it like I.W. a chance for someone else to win a big title outside of the clay courts, w/out playing thier absolute best tennis.
My apologies for lumping the two sets of supporters together, they are distinct groups.

It's true, Indian Wells has now become a free event for all the other top players to have a crack at winning a Tier I, but the bottom line is that no-one will ever be satisfied when both sisters are still entering every Grand Slam and getting to the final of every fast-court major. I could happily cope with Serena playing as few events as possible provided some of those she skipped were the four Slams. Still, one can only dream...

And it is somewhat irritating to hear her complaining of being tired out at the end of the WTA Championships when she's played much less than everyone else out there.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I dont think Kim will get to #1 this year, but if she does i suppose she would earn it bc she has the highest point total. Which would still not make her the best player in the world, merely the #1 player. To be the best player she has to win some slams and beat Serena and Venus consistently, or least beat them more times than they beat her.

·
Registered
21,802 Posts
It's her right to say whatever the hell she wants about herself. Geez, if we all had to live up to the standards you guys place for a 'prim and proper' player, we'd all FAIL. If she was tired, she was tired. Get over it. Instead of looking at it as 'wow, my fave can play so many tournaments and do well in them', some of you choose to complain about Serena. I guess I'd be pissed, too, if my fave had to play twice as many tournaments to even have a shot at being #1.

With that said, Serena knows what she needs to do to be and remain #1. Her fans know this as well. Everyone knows that a non-slam winner becoming #1 looks ridiculous but Kim has played the system well and if she gets it, congrats to her. But we all know who the best player is. #1 doesn't necessarily mean the best.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts