Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first post in a thread I am opening dedicated to analytical posts from "On The Line".

Still not over Emma Raducanu's stunning success last Saturday at the US Open? 馃敟

Here's an analysis of her win over Leylah Fernandez in the final and a look at the possible consequences of her historic victory.

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

Registered
imo...this thread should be in GM...no clue why they moved so fastly to player forum. It's so irritating that anything that's related to Emma is so fastly moved to player forum. This is not even some clickbait thread or some Emma's social media following thread...there are some good insights in the article.

Good point re-her anticipation skills on return. I didn't notice this much while watching the matches. I wanna see her play against Sabalenka who has a big serve but is also quite predictable (goes for that T-Serve a lot).

Registered
My first post in a thread I am opening dedicated to analytical posts from "On The Line".

Still not over Emma Raducanu's stunning success last Saturday at the US Open? 馃敟

Here's an analysis of her win over Leylah Fernandez in the final and a look at the possible consequences of her historic victory.

Enjoy 馃幘馃幘馃幘

I do remember asking this question the last time you posted a similar article on here after Barty won Wimbledon...is the data like % of points won by type of serve (Body, T-Serve, wide serve) publicly available?

Registered
I replied to your thread on Reddit. (y)

imo...this thread should be in GM...no clue why they moved so fastly to player forum. It's so irritating that anything that's related to Emma is so fastly moved to player forum. This is not even some clickbait thread or some Emma's social media following thread...there are some good insights in the article.

Good point re-her anticipation skills on return. I didn't notice this much while watching the matches. I wanna see her play against Sabalenka who has a big serve but is also quite predictable (goes for that T-Serve a lot).
Returning a big serve like Pliskova and Sabalenka's would be interesting. Even an Osaka, who's got a very good 1st serve as well. She handled Sakkari's pretty well, but I don't think she was serving all that well. She had her 2nd serve blasted back at her feet all night.

Registered
When the OP posted a similar article after Ash won Wimbledon, the thread was allowed in GM and is still there but this is moved right away to player forum within minutes?

Reactions: JamDev

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do remember asking this question the last time you posted a similar article on here after Barty won Wimbledon...is the data like % of points won by type of serve (Body, T-Serve, wide serve) publicly available?
Hi drive volley sux!

Thanks for the feedback, you sound like my target audience for sure, you know exactly what you're talking about 馃憣 the info isn't always publicly available but in this case, I got most of my stats from tennis abstract. I tend to log my own stats for a deeper understanding of the match anyway!

Registered
Hi drive volley sux!

Thanks for the feedback, you sound like my target audience for sure, you know exactly what you're talking about 馃憣 the info isn't always publicly available but in this case, I got most of my stats from tennis abstract. I tend to log my own stats for a deeper understanding of the match anyway!
yeah..I work with data at my work all the time...so I am naturally interested in tennis related data, stats but it's not easy to find them online when compared to other sports like NFL, NBA, Soccer....I have used tennis abstract but I have mainly used the Stat leader summary feature they have. I am assuming you are using the data from their Match Charting projects? That sounds like a fun thing.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah..I work with data at my work all the time...so I am naturally interested in tennis related data, stats but it's not easy to find them online when compared to other sports like NFL, NBA, Soccer....I have used tennis abstract but I have mainly used the Stat leader summary feature they have. I am assuming you are using the data from their Match Charting projects? That sounds like a fun thing.
Exactly! The Match Charting projects save me a lot of time sometimes and are a brilliant resource for looking at previous matches in head-to-heads. Still a lot of work to be done before tennis is anywhere near other sports, the WTA more so than the ATP - with stats and analysis growing in popularity in most sports, it would be a shame to see tennis left behind!

Registered
Only just seen this - fantastic article. Thanks so much for posting! Imagine TF鈥檈rs actually having to acknowledge hard stats and technical analysis instead of their own opinions鈥 how will we cope?!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Only just seen this - fantastic article. Thanks so much for posting! Imagine TF鈥檈rs actually having to acknowledge hard stats and technical analysis instead of their own opinions鈥 how will we cope?!
Hi Mug Fan,

Thanks very much, any feedback is always appreciated and positive feedback even more so!

Comments based on opinion rather than facts on a tennis forum?! If my writing achieves nothing else, hopefully it helps to quieten some of our community's most unsubstantiated conversations 馃檹

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The latest post from my blog.

In her run to the title at Indian Wells, Paula Badosa defeated four top-20 players and denied Victoria Azarenka glory in a sublime finale 馃弳

I've explored how her strengths led her to victory 馃挭

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

After winning her fourth title in three months at the Transylvania Open, there's seemingly no stopping Anett Kontaveit 馃嚜馃嚜

We explore the improvements she's made to her game under the tutelage of Dmitry Tursunov 馃

Registered

In her run to the title at Indian Wells, Paula Badosa defeated four top-20 players and denied Victoria Azarenka glory in a sublime finale 馃弳

The Badosa stanning and brown-nosing was way too obvious when compared to all the other articles.

Registered

Nice article! Anett's FH definitely has been quite the improved shot as of late!

Regarding the bit about the WTA finals - I believe the tournament in Guadalajara will be outdoors this time around

Registered
I dunno, I just say it like I see it! Her level had to be SO high to beat Vika, even if she was let back into the match.

Was I really too much? I thought I only brown-nosed Andy tbh?
"It was only a matter of time".
"we鈥檒l all need to grow accustomed to her game in the coming years!"
How her pace is "terrifying" for her opponents and she's got a ton of power yet was out-powered by Zidansek's FH.
She's been consistent this year but to say not particularly prone to error....36-59 vs Bogdan, 30-30 vs Vondrousova, 31-47 vs Zidansek.
Lots of players 5'11 are fast.
And how you said all of Badosa's weaknesses are likely to get better which isn't set in stone at all. You have no doubt she's going to be improving everything lol. Well ok then.
Mentality of a champion when she's been choking LOTS throughout her career and this year. One difference is she managed to save herself and scrape the set more often.

So many sweeping statements largely based on matches when she's peaking. You do you, clear you think "the sky's the limit", but just made it too obvious you're a huge stan for my liking I guess.

But I do love your objective technical analysis usually!

Registered
I dunno, I just say it like I see it! Her level had to be SO high to beat Vika, even if she was let back into the match.

Was I really too much? I thought I only brown-nosed Andy tbh?
I guess unlike a select few here, I think the article on Badosa was incredibly fair and balanced.

And I pride myself on my absolute neutrality and objectivity. In fact, I'm very carefull in making sure that no one on TF can even remotely tell who I'm a fan of.

Thanks for posting the analysis!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"It was only a matter of time".
"we鈥檒l all need to grow accustomed to her game in the coming years!"
How her pace is "terrifying" for her opponents and she's got a ton of power yet was out-powered by Zidansek's FH.
She's been consistent this year but to say not particularly prone to error....36-59 vs Bogdan, 30-30 vs Vondrousova, 31-47 vs Zidansek.
Lots of players 5'11 are fast.
And how you said all of Badosa's weaknesses are likely to get better which isn't set in stone at all. You have no doubt she's going to be improving everything lol. Well ok then.
Mentality of a champion when she's been choking LOTS throughout her career and this year. One difference is she managed to save herself and scrape the set more often.

So many sweeping statements largely based on matches when she's peaking. You do you, clear you think "the sky's the limit", but just made it too obvious you're a huge stan for my liking I guess.

But I do love your objective technical analysis usually!
In hindsight, this is mostly fair actually.

I was maybe a bit myopic in my analysis - I'm honestly not a stan, I was just so impressed with her level against Azarenka! If she can bring that level to tournaments consistently, I stand by what I said but, em, yeah... that's not how tennis works :oops:

Glad you enjoy the articles normally 馃槏

Registered
In hindsight, this is mostly fair actually.

I was maybe a bit myopic in my analysis - I'm honestly not a stan, I was just so impressed with her level against Azarenka! If she can bring that level to tournaments consistently, I stand by what I said but, em, yeah... that's not how tennis works :oops:

Glad you enjoy the articles normally 馃槏
She is genuninley trending in the right direction from a rough start at the beginning of the year. A 10-3 record against top-20 players in 2021 is no joke.

Some people like to even diminish Paula's Indian Wells victory because Azarenka had one admittedly very rough game at 5-4 in the third set of an incredibly grueling 3 hour match where both players were putting constant pressure on each other.

Pretty much all pro-athletes have mental lapses. Paula is just having alot less of those now because she worked so hard on building her mental toughness.

So, yes she is much better player now and is getting tangible results to show that. I appreciate you breaking down the various aspects of her game that are leading to her recent success.

Keep on doing what your doing. I'm really enjoying your articles... and not just the ones about Paula.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anett Kontaveit came into the WTA Finals as the in-form player - I've analysed how Garbine Muguruza beat her twice to claim the title in Guadalajara
馃嚥馃嚱

1 - 20 of 20 Posts