Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but only one was successful :lol:

http://66.232.148.140/blogs/tennisworld/index.asp

For the record, the first player to challenge a call and go to Hawkeye for resolution – that is, the instant trivia question - was Jamea Jackson, in a match with Ashley Harkleroad. She challenged an "out" call of a ball she hit. Jackson's challenge was denied, leading her to make one of the more charming confessions we’ve heard in a long time:

“I thought the ball was wide {out}, but I just wanted to try it. I thought it was great. I loved it. It was fun. I just wanted to be the first. That’s what it was really all about.”​

Okay, so we have a new toy in tennis. According to the folks I’ve talked with it, the main value of the Hawkeye overrule system (rules here) may be the additional drama and layer of intrigue it brings to matches, both for on-site spectators and the television audience.

Curiously, the old school grumblings are being led by Roger Federer, whose take was recorded for posterity by the UK’s newspaper, The Independent.

My take (in case you don’t think The Mighty Fed is enough of an authority) is that while I prefer the human element, television technology mandated going this route. There’s just too much at stake for the integrity of the game when the television audience can clearly see a ball one way while the officials (and players) on court see it the other way – without the benefit of decisive technology.

Finally, here’s an interesting stat for you all to mull: ATP players made eight challenges, six of which were successful (challenge upheld). But of the six challenges made by WTA players, only one was successful.

See, women really are more emotional, right? ;-)

·
26,927 Posts
Hardly surprising.

Men have always had a better clue about linecalls and stuff. Can you imagine a men's match where the same happens as in the Venus-Sprem match, without a player noticing?
There are exceptions, like Lindsay for example who is mostly right about wrong calls.

·
Premium Member
181,952 Posts
Plus the women are alot bitchier, and they'll stoop to any level to win a pt
ATP guys are diff all except Coria :tape: :rolls:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
TheBoiledEgg said:
Plus the women are alot bitchier, and they'll stoop to any level to win a pt
ATP guys are diff all except Coria :tape: :rolls:
dun you just love tt lil bitch in coria... :devil: :lol:

·
Registered
776 Posts
spiceboy said:
Finally, here’s an interesting stat for you all to mull: ATP players made eight challenges, six of which were successful (challenge upheld). But of the six challenges made by WTA players, only one was successful.

See, women really are more emotional, right? ;-)
:lol: more drama it's what we need :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts