Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just wondering why don't the tour allow on court coaching, it will be really funny to see Richard or Stefano or melanie or even Damir (imagine a Venus Jelena match or Jenny Jelena match then!!!!) on court coaching like those Fed Cup matches, and who will benfit the most out of it?

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
That made me think: wouldn't it be funny to see a Richard & Melanie Vs Stephano & Alla mixed doubles match? :eek:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean fair, but can't we allow one in last 16 of a Grand Slam onwards and all tier one events. I think that on court coaching should be allow coz in the end, a player success is comprise of many elements and coaching is very important, why not include in the highest tier of tournament?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just my opinion but hingis would have a gs to her name if Melanie was coaching her during the final.

I dont agree with it though it would cause way too many problems we get enough with them sitting in the stands imagine them on court!

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
martina i suppose

martina is really smart
but melanie is smarter (i think) and since she's not involved personally in the match she'd be able to think clearly

sometimes i think melanie stores her brains in her hair ;)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
I don't like the idea. Tennis is supposed to be a mental sport, not just a physical one. The player who's the strongest mentally usually dominates the big points and thus the big tournaments. I don't want to see that taken out of the game. One of the great aspects of tennis is that the players is out their all alone. They have to be the brains and the brawn. Once you allow coaching, players who don't haev th eability to keep their heads under pressure have a crutch. No. I don't like the idea. Don't like it at all.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I can't see it helping Martina too much. She knows what she needs to do on court.

I think Anna would benefit, esp if her coach happened to be her dubs partner.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I thought Melanie was already helping Martina;)

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,467 Posts
[email protected] ;) :wavey:

i agree with Volcana...tennis is so much a mental sport that i think coaching on court would really take away from that.

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
I agree with Volcana, et al. Part of the beauty of tennis is when you get a relatively obscure player who comes out with a game plan that a top player is unprepared to deal with. Then we see if the top player can adjust on the fly, or get beaten. These upsets wouldn't happen with oncourt coaching. And, in many cases, lower-ranked players share coaches. That coach can't be at multiple matches.

It would truly be a case of the rich getting richer, and the haves gaining on the have-nots. The top players can already get the best coaches. I see no need to compound that imbalance by letting them on the court.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts