Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember the old Wooden Spoon Award, the woman who performs the worst at a Slam based on the bad results of whoever beats her? Well, I always keep track. Poor Virginia won the Wooden Spoon at Wimbledon, can't remember the path. :eek:

Well, this U.S. Open's Wooden Spoon Award goes to... the 25th seed...Eleni Daniilidou!! :eek:

Daniilidou lost to Myriam Casanova in the first round, who lost to Fabiola Zuluaga in the second round, who lost to Elena Likhovtseva in the third round, who lost to Paola Suarez in the fourth round, who lost to Lin-C Davenport in the Quarters, who lost to Kim in the semis, who lost to Justine in the finals.

Congrats to Eleni (j/k)!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
38,995 Posts
funny, i was thinking about the wooden spoon some days ago, and it dawned on me that indeed it could turn out to belong to eleni.

oh dear. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
No it makes her the worse. For example, take the 4 semi-finalists. By this theory Jennifer is better than Lindsay because she lost to a better player (Henin) that won the final. Lindsay is the worst semi-finalist because she lost to the losing finalist.

Theoretically, Eleni is the worst because she lost to the worst player in the 2nd round, who lost to the worst player of the 3rd round etc.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What might be scarier is that if Fabiola had beaten Likhovtseva in the third round, and then lost to Paola, then it would have been No. 7 Chanda Rubin taking home the, uh, wood. The Slams are over until January, and so are the Wooden Spoons, thankfully.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.