Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Art & Futures
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...really, just beating herself. :tape: :lol:

so if a respected commentator says Venus loses by beating herself, then everyone should believe her and never argue when anyone on this board says that!!! :devil:

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Re: Omg Mary just commented that Venus loses matches by...

...really, just beating herself. :tape: :lol:

so if a respected commentator says Venus loses by beating herself, then everyone should believe her and never argue when anyone on this board says that!!! :devil:
:lol: oh mary :help: please make up your mind about the sisters

·
Registered
9,303 Posts

Mary is entitlled to her own opinion as long as it is also one we share!:devil:

·
Rena's Army
35,200 Posts

LOL :lol: I am glad she said it..and she's not a deluded Williams fan either :wavey:

·
Art & Futures
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Mary just commented that she can beat anyone when she's on her game

:devil:

·
Registered
15,657 Posts

Its true....Venus can beat anyone when she is on her game. Its just...when has she been on her game consistently? The last time she has been was Wimbledon '05. Thats almost 2 full years ago now. I think if Venus can just notch a big win over a top 10 player it could be the thing she needs for her confidence. The game is still there. Its just...we see it in flashes. Her serve seems more of a liability these days but she always had issues with her second serve. And...she always hit unforced errors but now they are coming against your run of the mill players. So yeah...just like Mary said...in a match with Harkleroad it IS in Venus' hands. She dictated play and blew it because of her own unforced errors. There's a reason they call them "unforced". I mean look at her match with Jankovic. She had 13 double faults and a ton of unforced errors and it was a very close match. Venus makes life difficult for herself by giving up too many points on her own serve. The serve will go off and she'll throw in a double or two and she'll make unnecessary errors. So her opponent can get to break points without even having to do much. Too many lapses that the top players with eat up .

·
Registered
4,293 Posts

Mary says lots of things. Something tells me you might regret making that 'never argue with mary' comment :lol:

·
Registered
2,252 Posts

I've noticed that about this board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :devil:

·
Registered
9,074 Posts

She is the worst commentator on television......when she is on it just makes me want to turn the damn tv off!

·
Registered
44,018 Posts

Venus has been plauged with injuries since the 2003 Wimbledon. She has never really had a good run without injury. Playing and then stopping then playing then stopping has obviously affected her consistentcy and her belief in her shots. It's hard to believe in them when 1 - they havent been used and 2 - they are inconsistent because of her lack of match play.

But really, I have seen a lot of Venus matches ... I can only think of a handful (5 or 6) where someone BEAT her. 98% of the time, she beats herself with her errors.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts

Its true....Venus can beat anyone when she is on her game. Its just...when has she been on her game consistently? The last time she has been was Wimbledon '05. Thats almost 2 full years ago now. I think if Venus can just notch a big win over a top 10 player it could be the thing she needs for her confidence. The game is still there. Its just...we see it in flashes. Her serve seems more of a liability these days but she always had issues with her second serve. And...she always hit unforced errors but now they are coming against your run of the mill players. So yeah...just like Mary said...in a match with Harkleroad it IS in Venus' hands. She dictated play and blew it because of her own unforced errors. There's a reason they call them "unforced". I mean look at her match with Jankovic. She had 13 double faults and a ton of unforced errors and it was a very close match. Venus makes life difficult for herself by giving up too many points on her own serve. The serve will go off and she'll throw in a double or two and she'll make unnecessary errors. So her opponent can get to break points without even having to do much. Too many lapses that the top players with eat up .
:worship: :worship: Great Post! :worship: :worship:

·
Art & Futures
20,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

She is the worst commentator on television......when she is on it just makes me want to turn the damn tv off!
OMG lol. i think i should have put Mary JO lol not just "mary"

·
Registered
2,918 Posts

But really, I have seen a lot of Venus matches ... I can only think of a handful (5 or 6) where someone BEAT her. 98% of the time, she beats herself with her errors.
If Venus was good enough to avoid making those errors, she would have won those matches. :) But she wasn't good enough and this entire discussion is completely retarded.

Have none of you fools played tennis? I guess the next time I lose I should just hit every shot into the net, that way I can tell my opponent they didn't really BEAT me :tape: :haha:

Reactions: Vlad Tepes

·
Registered
9,996 Posts

OMG lol. i think i should have put Mary JO lol not just "mary"
Well, well! This makes a lot more sense then.

After I saw the thread's title changed, I was going to say that Mary Jo has said that about the sisters all the time. She's not as biased towards Venus and Serena as Mary Carillo is.

Mary Jo was way under Sharapova's skirt for a while, riding on her hype-machine. She has come out under there at bit, especially after the beatings Serena gave Sharapova this year.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I dont believed in beating yourself. You are going for too much thats why you commit errors. Its either you take that risk or just play your game safely. Winners always goes with errors.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts

If Venus was good enough to avoid making those errors, she would have won those matches. :) But she wasn't good enough and this entire discussion is completely retarded.

Have none of you fools played tennis? I guess the next time I lose I should just hit every shot into the net, that way I can tell my opponent they didn't really BEAT me :tape: :haha:
The fact is we all know when Venus and Serena are on top there games they are unstoppable. Whether Venus is not good enough to cut down on errors in a given match is irrelevant. Many, many commentators have said over the years, that Venus and Serena are either winning a match with winners or are losing it with their errors, period.

By the way your comment about playing tennis is irrelevant unless you have a game exactly the same as Venus' Which I doubt:rolleyes:

·
Black tea with rum
24,256 Posts

The fact is we all know when Venus and Serena are on top there games they are unstoppable. Whether Venus is not good enough to cut down on errors in a given match is irrelevant. Many, many commentators have said over the years, that Venus and Serena are either winning a match with winners or are losing it with their errors, period.

By the way your comment about playing tennis is irrelevant unless you have a game exactly the same as Venus' Which I doubt:rolleyes:
He made a good point, one cannot say one wasn't really beaten when one is not good enough to get the ball over the net or inside the court. Venus is not alone in this, any player on a given day can make loads of errors, but that doesn't mean you have to take all the credit from their opponent.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts

He made a good point, one cannot say one wasn't really beaten when one is not good enough to get the ball over the net or inside the court. Venus is not alone in this, any player on a given day can make loads of errors, but that doesn't mean you have to take all the credit from their opponent.
Erm no-one is taking ALL the credit away from their opponent. They have the glory of the win afterall. And Venus OBVIOUSLY lost because she wasn't good enough. But I believe the point stands that the Williams sisters lose matches through erratic play, rather than lose them by being outplayed. Especially when you contrast it with them periods of hitting winners in the SAME match.

If it wasn't a valid point, why would SO many professional tennis pundits say so? It's not an issue of credit to the opponent or not, it's the issue of analysing the Williams game. It's about the contrast between good play and bad play. And you know that when the Williams are on top of their game it would take something sensational to beat them. Ergo when they are playing awfully I don't see it as unreasonable or disrespectful to make a personal statement that they have destroyed themselves.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts