Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the men's 1000m short track speedskating, Australia was in last place, but in the last 50m, the Korean speedskater fell and took out USA, and the Canadian, and the other country, and Australia was so far behind, he didn't get caught up in it and crossed the line first......LOL!

The more interesting thing about this, is this is EXACTLY how he got to the finals. In his semifinal heat, he was tied for dead last with the Japanese skater and all the leaders fell with another domino affect, and he crossed the line.

I love the sport, but a :sad: for Apolo Anton Ohno, who won the silver.....he was going to win gold, but oh well. He looks just like my brother too.

·
stubborn procrastinator
110,022 Posts
Congrats to Australia and to Steven Bradbury!! :D :D

I hope Apolo will be Ok, he got hurt and was limping during the award ceremony. Get well, Apolo! But, he seemed very happy with the silver medal. :)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
this is shit :mad: :mad: .. the korean skater grabbed the skate of ohno and caused him to fall and took out the other skaters too :mad: he would of have won gold :mad: and now ohno is injured and has a deep cut on his inner thigh and he still has 3 races left to do but he may not be able to continue :sad:

omg how much more drama will happen in these olympics :mad: :sad:

·
3,676 Posts
pffffftt :mad: this is a total crock i cannot believe they didn't re-run the race.. ohno deserved that gold and it was his he was clearly in front until the korean skater caused the pile up catching ohno's skate with his hand ...

..poor ohno :sad:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. said:
I love the sport, but a :sad: for Apolo Anton Ohno, who won the silver.....he was going to win gold, but oh well. He looks just like my brother too.
OH MY GOD your brother looks like Apolo Anton Ohno?? COOL.... he must be hot then because I think Apolo is gorgeous... anybody agree??

I wish he would of won but I'm happy for Australia though :)

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, the only difference is that my brother's hair is shorter and has a red tint.

I agree...the Korean skater appeared to have purposefully tripped Apolo, like, "If I can't have it, then you can't either."

Strange enough...I've heard the Chinese skater was disqualified...but he did nothing?

Oh well, USA is playing Russia in hockey now, so hopefully we will beat them :)

·
stubborn procrastinator
110,022 Posts
It was a lucky day for Steven Bradbury, he couldn't believe himself that he won the gold. Can't blame him for being lucky!

It was very unfortunate for Apolo and Mathieu. :sad: Apolo was in lead, and he deserved to win, but that's just how the short track speed skating is. The most unfortunate thing is that both, Apolo and Mathieu got hurt. :sad:

I don't think that the re-run would have helped because Apolo may not have been able to skate. He was limping quite a bit during the ceremony. :sad:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Can anybody tell me exactly what Apolo's injury is?? Thanx!

·
3,676 Posts
yeah i agree the re-run wouldn't of have helped much because both were injured but it should of have taken place anyhow because the aussie clearly didn't deserve the gold medal i mean he was so far behind and the korean should of have got dq'd and they should of have done a re-run :mad:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Marti_Fan said:
all they know as of yet is its a they said "its a deep cut on the inner thigh" .. they don't know if he will be able to continue in the other 3 races yet .. :sad:
NOOOOOOOOO :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: I can't believe Apolo might not be able to skate the rest of his races... this is awful! I luv Apolo... he's an awesome skater and he's just so cute! GO APOLO!! GET WELL SOON!!

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Steve Bradbury cruises over for his gold. (Allsport)

AUSTRALIA has its first gold medal. Steven Bradbury, who benefited from two races full of fallers to make the men's short track 1000m final, did exactly the same in the final, sitting back as the entire field of four ahead of him, including United States favourite Apolo Anton Ohno, hauled themselves down and allowed him to drift over the finish line with all the serenity of a figure skater.

It was almost in complete disbelief that the 28-year-old from Brisbane seized his moment of Olympic history. No Australian has ever won gold at an Olympic Winter Games. Bradbury, while a four-time Olympian and former bronze medal winner from Lillehammer in the men's short track realy, wouldn't have been on many people's lists to be the first.

That honour befell Jacqui Cooper before her untimely demise to injury. With Australia searching for the next on the honour role, Bradbury cooly came through with the goods for gold.

He skated his final and semi-final just perfectly. Those that say he was lucky might want to look again. Bradbury's experience showed through, as he held back and waited for the tussles ahead to work themselves out before seizing his opportunity.

The final saw Ohno and Japanese Jiajun Li tussling for the gold throughout the final lap. Ohno wrestled Li off, causing the Japanese to tumble, but it was Li who was later disqualified. Ohno fell on the final turn, taken out by sliding Korean Ahn Hyun-Soo. Canadian Mathieu Turcotte was also pulled down to the ice in that collision. As all three hit the crash barriers, Bradbury nonchalantly cruised past the mayhem for gold. Ohno eventually picked himself up for the silver, and Turcotte clambered over for the bronze.

Backstage, Bradbury was clearly amazed at what he had just achieved. "Jesus" was one word he used, and two others beginning with "M" and "F" followed when he thought no-one was looking. But who could blame him for being flabergasted by what he had just achieved. By the time the medal presentation was upon him, it was clear it still hadn't fully sunk in.

After the cheers for Ohno - an enormously popular young figure at these Games, his first - had died down, the announcement went up in Olympic French: Le champion d'Olympique et la medale d'or, d'Australie, Steve Bradbury.

Looking more humble than common perception allows, Bradbury took his rightful place at the top of the dais. He looked almost apologetic as one of the heaviest gold medals in Olympic history was hung around his neck.

"It's good, but it doesn't feel right, you know," he said, modestly. "I wasn't as strong as the other guys out there, but I'm going to take it. I came to these Games hoping to make up for opportunities where I didn't skate my best."

Half the battle in any short track race, though, is staying on your blades. In that particular skill, Bradbury proved to be the best in the world, right when it mattered.

In his semi-final, he had also hung back and watched as defending Olympic 1000m champion Kim Dong Sung, of Korea, and 1999 world champion Satoru Terao fell. Bradbury, dead last once again, skipped over Kim before turning the final bend and seeing Terao and Turcotte tumble, too. Bradbury crossed the line arms raised with Li. Turcotte was later reinstated as a result of the disqualification of the Japanese, and fittingly got his medal in the final.

"I consider myself the luckiest man. God smiles on you some days, and this is my day."

**Sure He was very lucky, strategy still played some part though, you can't sat Steven didn't deserve to win, he is still one of the best! This isn't his first Olympic Medal, he won bronze in 1994 in Lilihamer.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Oh my god this doesn't look good:

·
Registered
910 Posts
The other countries have enough medals let Australia have one!!!

YAY! Even if it is because the other's fell it is still a gold medal!

Better than nothing!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Kuilli said:
The most unfortunate thing is that both, Apolo and Mathieu got hurt. :sad:
Yeah, that's the bummer. Imagine working for 3-odd years for these races and then you get knocked out of them in one of these wipe-outs.

I actually find it all rather amusing that Bradbury won. I agree that they shouldn't have re-run the race. That's how short track goes. Sucks, doesn't it.

·
Premium Member
21,310 Posts
LOL! That was my reaction when I heard the news!

And you tell em Viva!!! Why not let Australia get one for a change? ;) :eek:

Anyway, congrats to him. And BTW, he is no slouch as Ausboy mentioned his past achievements, he is a very accomplished skater!

So, bad luck to the losers, but hey shit happens! :D

·
8,263 Posts
I saw th race, I think Li should disqualified if you look closely in the last turn, he was pulling off the canadian or something, that may explain. I feel sorry for the Ohno, but Bradbury was just so damn lucky LOL, he was probably the worse in the semifinal and got through through similar situation. I think the coach must have told him to skate away from the lead bunch and hope for the best LOL.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I was watching this and I thought it was hilarious! The commentators said the Aussie deserved to win because he was the only one who managed to stay up on his feet!! LOL!!!
I wouldn't be bitter at all, I know the winter olympics are not big for the Australians so I like the fact that they managed to get a medal! :)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I don't really like that win. But at least the Aussie guy acknowledged that he wouldn't have won, which kinda made it sit better with me.

Poor American. :sad: Hope he gets better soon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts