Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just read the Q&A session with Tarpishev ( Russian tennis boss ),
and he says that each country will be able to have 4 singles players and two doubles teams in their rosters for both men and women, meaning that it could be up to 8 players.. Has anyone heard anything about that?

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
No, but that would mean that could be like a 248 draw event! :eek: On clay :eek:

·
Registered
9,292 Posts
I think that the fourth player is a WC for the big countries like U.S.A, Spain, Russia, France, Germany.... :confused:

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
I know they need to include a lot of countries, but maybe they should do something like take the top 100 and then allot like 28 wildcards to nations not having players in the top 100. And the WTA should give rankings points....the ATP does. I would like to see it ran more of like a Grand Slam than an exhibition.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Actuallythe WTA asked the players if they wanted to have points and the players decided no. The ATP added points to attracmore male players. The Wta didn't need this because of past mdalists like novotna,graf,sanchez-vicario,sabatini,davenport,capriati etc.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
oh and u cannot play if you don't represent your country at Fed Cup.

Thats why players such as Maleeva, Coetzer, Pistolesi etc... all played Fed Cup this year.

Not sure on teh exact ruling, but i think its that if you are asked to play and refuse you can tplay olympics. because otherwise tons of players would be eligible if they missed fed cup through injury or whatever.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
selesfan1 said:
Actuallythe WTA asked the players if they wanted to have points and the players decided no. The ATP added points to attracmore male players. The Wta didn't need this because of past mdalists like novotna,graf,sanchez-vicario,sabatini,davenport,capriati etc.
I wouldn't agree that the male players need it. The only top players I remember not playing the last Olympics were Andre (who had a very legit excuse, as his family was sick), and Pete.

I seem to recall most of the other top players all playing. And a number of the guys put playing for their countries first. Hell, most of them do.

·
Premium Member
181,840 Posts
its gonna be an interesting Olympics anyway with it being held at end of August, just before the US Open starts.

Not sure if they have changed the surface to hard in order to get more higher ranked players.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Rebecca, although a lot of top male players go to the Olympics before (who the hell were they? I know there are Andre and Yefgeny, but who the rest?) they don't take it seriously... IMO. Just look at the result (especially at 1988 and 1992). So I think it's wise for ATP to give some points for the players.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I am not sure, but I heard before that a player doesn't really need to play in Fed Cup, all she needs to do is making herself available for Fed Cup.

Not sure if I'm right or wrong.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
There are qualies in Olympics, aren't there?

So the draw maybe still a 64 one.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Hardiansf said:
Rebecca, although a lot of top male players go to the Olympics before (who the hell were they? I know there are Andre and Yefgeny, but who the rest?) they don't take it seriously... IMO. Just look at the result (especially at 1988 and 1992). So I think it's wise for ATP to give some points for the players.
Marat went, fresh off of his USO win. So did Hewitt and Rafter. As did Corretja, Ferrero, Haas, Federer, Kuerten, Henman, Philippoussis, Norman, among others. See for yourself:

http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/eventhistory/default2.asp?tournament=96&year=2000&singlesdoubles=Singles

And what do you mean that they didn't take it seriously? Because there were some surprise winners? In that case I guess that they don't take any tournament on tour serious, with but a couple of exceptions. I also happen to think that you are exaggerating the extent of these "surprises".

1988: Miroslav Mecir - The guy was a two time slam finalist, and you want me to believe that he only won here because nobody else really gave it their all? Horseshit.

1992: Marc Rosset - Most of his titles came on fast surfaces, so I will concede that him winning the Olympics on clay was definately a surprise.

1996: Andre Agassi - Need I say anything?

2000: Yevgeny Kafenikov - 2 time slam champ, who has always put representing his country as a priority.

I'd be happy to hear more about how "the men don't care" ; evidence would be nice.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
:wavey: IMO....it is the Olympics....not a normal tennis event.

2 Players max per country (for the bigger countries like the US, France, Belgium etc) Greece get a (1) Wildcard like any other event in the Olympics...and the best from there should be taken...still giving only 2 players per country.

Olympics is not an event for WC's (except the above mentioned) or Q's.

And I hope to hell Jelena decides to play for Australia and isn't picked...will show her true dedication to this country. :wavey:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts