Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Poor Per. Resigning in a state of desolation after being smothered by an unrepenting Mühlegg in the 30K Freestyle. Elofsson's finest hour quickly turned sour. Swedish tears shedded en masse.

And Ole Ejnar. A brave fight from the world's fastest biathlete, but in the end a disappointing 6th place. Nice display by the Austrians.

Belmondo survived a broken pole to beat Lazutina; Too strong. Kari Traa, the panty-less Norwegian, owned the moguls as expected.

The Dutch speedskaters showed up 'Rommi-less', but Uytdehaage got the job done by snapping the gold from American Derek Parra in the 5K.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Russian women skiers lost it tactically. They knew all too well that Belmondo is a stronger sprinter, yet they ran satisfied with slow pace of the race ( so Belmondo caught up with them after broken pole so effortlesly ). They had two top flight racers ahead, they should have pressurised Belmondo, increasing the pace of the race and making it a stamina test rather than sprinting test..:(

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
She is beautiful, almost as beautiful as Chepalova..:)

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Blackout!!

I'm an American expat in Singapore.

I'm getting zero coverage of the Winter Olympics.
The BBC and CNN can't even show clips in Singapore.
Anyway; I heard some negative stuff and maybe
I'm glad not to be getting coverage.

Apparently during the Parade of Nations NBC
went to CM's. Team China?? Who cares!!
Bob Costas kept on saying very dumb remarks
verging on racist on the poor hapless teams
that were shown in the opening ceremony.
Iranians?? Greeks??

I read on the New York Times message board
that the American silver medal for Ski Moguls
was a blatant suck up and the Japanese Skier
should've had the Silver not the bronze.

Is this the way it's going to be for the rest
of the Olympics? Insult smaller non white
countries? Biased Judging?? Biased coverage?

Well....what could I have expected- it's in
freakin Utah of all places.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Greenout, lets not mix flies and steaks. Olympics are one thing,
Utah is the other. Utah is probably my favourite state in the US. I love Utah, it doesn't deserve anything bad said about it. If anything is wrong, it is not Utah's fault.

What really bugs me, is that they are showing folks from 1980 winning ice hockey team twice an hour at least, like they are the greatest heroes in US history and that's the greatest achievement the country has ever had. My understanding that it is the mindgames ahead of hockey tournament and they are working hard to unsettle Russians. They mentioned tons of sportsmen. No one has even mentioned once Eric Heiden for intance. Why is that..

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
They showed some training runs of downhill. If they are going to show the downhill competition the same way, it will suck big time. Men's downhill.. They showed it from the lower part only, while really gorgeous part of the run is the top. That's beautiful run on that Snowbasin mountain - so called John Paul II downhill. It starts on the ridge, huge vertical drop just behind starter's backs. In good weather you can see the city on the horizon ( even if it 40 miles away ) and the view of the Great Salt lake is also incredible. When I was skiing it, it was scary to even get to the starting point from the tram. It is 30 meters of not really steep skiing.. But left from there .. there is nothing but air, and more than 1km of vertical fall. Then the start itself, from the starting booth, going into the valley is the steepest part, 40-45%, very scary, and beautiful too. The pros accelerate to 60mph during first 7-8 seconds of run there ( very few cars can do that :)). Of course I wouldn't do that.. And then in the valley, it is just beautiful.. My second favourite run on the mountain. Second only to Ladies Downhill, so called Wildflower Downhill. That run is the one which is quite adequate to my abilities..:) Of course I wouldn't downhill even there.. Too speedy, too scary. But doing it in something like Super-G style, that I could. And it is absolutely breathtaking.. One thing, if the weather won't be perfect, if it snows, it is trouble. The mountain is lower than other mountains in Utah, and the snow is much wetter and heavier.
I am so looking forward to watching it.. If only they show it the right way..:)

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
In my estimation, the American who won the silver in the medals should have won gold...I thought she out-performed the Norwegian in the medal run. Anyway, she was fastest down the hill, and that is a non-objectively reached 25% of the score, so you cannot argue with the fact that she won that portion of the scoring.

YS, you cannot understand the fervor surrounding that '80 hockey team. I certainly don't understand it, having been 1 at the time, but any American born before 1970 looks upon that moment as the US' finest sporting hour. This isn't brought up because of the hockey; it comes up every Olympiad and even at times during the down years, which is shocking for a Winter Olympics event.

I don't think the US are seriously contending for a men's hockey medal, so any psyching out of the Russians would be futile.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
That last post was slightly convoluted. Let me be blunt:

What really bugs me, is that they are showing folks from 1980 winning ice hockey team twice an hour at least, like they are the greatest heroes in US history and that's the greatest achievement the country has ever had.
ys, that '80 victory was the greatest achievement the country has ever had. In sport. Trust me, if you took a poll (I'm sure someone has), that would win.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Only because of the hype. I don't think it stands anywhere near Heiden's eternal record of 5 out of 5. It is just that they badly wanted that win, did everything that is besides the game to get that ( mere fact that US team was residing in LP, while Russians had to have 2.5 hour bus drive from Albany before the match ), and then won by the narrowest of margins due to lots of luck, refereing etc. Russians would not look for excuses, because it would sound silly anyway, that the best hockey team in the world could not comprehensively beat non-professional team. But still it is the fact that Russians would have to be MUCH better team than USA to beat them that day, because everything worked against Russians back then.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Hence the fervor, ys. You answered your own question.

It's called the "Miracle on Ice." Miracle. There you have it.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hurley said:
In my estimation, the American who won the silver in the medals should have won gold...I thought she out-performed the Norwegian in the medal run. Anyway, she was fastest down the hill, and that is a non-objectively reached 25% of the score, so you cannot argue with the fact that she won that portion of the scoring.
My estimate is a different one: The gold was highly uncontroversial as the gap of almost a full point indicated. While Traa did make a minor mistake on the first landing, her speed and jump height set her apart from the competitors. She is the reigning World Champion and dominates the World Cup for the same reason: Power. Bahrke's silver was just as well-deserved and uncontroversial.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
I admit that Traa is the finest overall competitor, but I do think the flub on her second (I'm pretty sure it was the second and not the first) landing gave much leeway to give the gold to Barzhe (sp?). But I am not discounting Traa's dominance by any means.

But there is no way the Japanese girl should have beaten Barzhe, and she was lucky to slide ahead of the Canadian by one-hundredth of a point.

I notice there is a thread about the pairs skating. Though I'm really not a figure skating fan, I do have to say that the top Russians and Canadians both performed very well, but of course the Russians deserve to be ahead because they were flawless while the Canadians' flub at the end was just that -- a fall. It was an imperfection, while the Russians had no imperfections.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Re-reading my post, I of course meant "objectively" or "non-subjectively," not "non-objectively." Brain cramp. :)

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
ys, I know you tend to be anti-American, so I understand your post, but like many said the 1980 Miracle on Ice was incredible for USA.

As a Russian fan, you should love it too because USA was deathly afraid of the USSR and for our hockey team to beat them was like winning the lottery for each and every citizen. In other words, we respected them so much that to actually beat them, it was unbelievable.

I suppose this could be compared to Iran's win over USA in the 1998 World Cup....

Anyways, this is the USA, and we are patriotic. Most of us love it and love they Olympics as well. And to see any athelete do well at the Winter Olympics for us is excellent because usually we suck at them. They are on our home soil and with recent events, everything is going to be pro-American on American television.

If that is a problem, the only thing I can suggest is buying a huge sattelite and watching another nations coverage.

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Oh (and don't mean to pick on ya ys - I do enjoy your posts (especally the stats ones) ;) )

BUT, Eric Heiden was offered a spot as one of the final torch bearers and he said, "Okay, but I want to be the final one" and the Organizing Comittee said they could not promise him anything and so he declined and said he wanted nothing to do with it.....a little selfish on his part, in my opinion, as I would be honored, even if I was president of the USA to carry the Olympic flame.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
VSFan1 aka Joshua L. said:
They are on our home soil and with recent events, everything is going to be pro-American on American television.
Absolutely. The American crowds have been amazing so far. Full stadiums, lots of enthusiasm. Cheering athletes from ALL countries. But of course they get the loudest when an American performs.

I've seen some real ugly partizan crowds. None of which have been American. People criticize how Parra stole the headlines in American news after winning the silver. But when I look at the national news from other countries, it's the same picture. Our own get top billing. In some cases, even if they finish 11th. They are simply expecting a different standard from American media than what they apply to their own.

In sports, people are generally pissed with America for two reasons: You win a lot. You are a powerful nation.

The only thing I dislike about the Salt Lake City Games (other than it being bought with bribes!) is the fact that the picture quality of the television coverage is sub-par due to the ludicrulously appaling NTSC-standard. Which is characterized by inferior resolution and dubious colors. Japan and Canada also use it, so Nagano wasn't any better.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hurley said:
I admit that Traa is the finest overall competitor, but I do think the flub on her second (I'm pretty sure it was the second and not the first) landing gave much leeway to give the gold to Barzhe (sp?). But I am not discounting Traa's dominance by any means.
This thread is beginning to live up to its name! Traa won that gold easily; Bahrke herself had no complaints as far as I am aware. Traa's jumps and speed made the difference as most commentators noted - despite the small mistakes (Bahrke wasn't flawless either).

I think the Japanese snowboarder mainly got her medal because of her tremendous speed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts