Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the go with this and what about next year when the points drop off, the players wont be able to defend them, thats a bit silly ? :confused:

·
Registered
13,033 Posts
I think it's nice that they've given an incentive for players to play the Olympics. I LOVE the Olympics...my favourite sporting event.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It will be nice, until their rankings then drop the year after cos they dont have the opportunity to defend their points, and besides is rankings/money etc.... what the olympics are really supposed to be about

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
They can play an event the same week next year...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Gold - 248
Silver - 174
Bronze - 122
Fourth Place - 94
Quarterfinal - 62
Round of 16 - 34
Round of 32 - 20
Round of 64 - 1

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
woww so many points, :D good reason to play in Athens

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
yeah its good
:)

·
Registered
107 Posts
alwayshingis said:
I think it's nice that they've given an incentive for players to play the Olympics. I LOVE the Olympics...my favourite sporting event.
They need an incentive to play the Olympics? :confused:

Ok if anyone doesn't feel sufficiently motivated I'll take their place at Athens...............................

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
4,007 Posts
bello said:
It will be nice, until their rankings then drop the year after cos they dont have the opportunity to defend their points, and besides is rankings/money etc.... what the olympics are really supposed to be about
Money!?! What money? There are no price money at Olympics?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think it's ridiculous to offer ranking points when the entry criteria isn't just ranking -- i.e. there are top 20 players that won't be able to play and then players outside of the top 100 that will be able to -- obviously the olympics will carry more points than whatever run of the mill tournament is being held that week, which I think is really unfair from a ranking perspective for those from countries w/ lots of highly ranked players.

·
Banned
2,910 Posts
I don't think the points are many, tier1 gives more

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Danke Anke said:
I think it's ridiculous to offer ranking points when the entry criteria isn't just ranking -- i.e. there are top 20 players that won't be able to play and then players outside of the top 100 that will be able to -- obviously the olympics will carry more points than whatever run of the mill tournament is being held that week, which I think is really unfair from a ranking perspective for those from countries w/ lots of highly ranked players.
I wish the entry problem could be solved, but it is nice to have a lot of countries represented. I think that because the players are in a tournament against many other top players, they deserve points for their results. For example, if some player breaks through who is outside the top 100 and wins a few matches, it would be crazy if their ranking didn't represent their result.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Adam UK said:
Im sure they dont play for free!!!
No, it's been well-documented that countries pay their players to play Fed Cup and the Olympics, some more than others. (i.e. the USA would be able to pay more than, say, Croatia)...

·
Registered
750 Posts
Danke Anke said:
Sad but true.
totally unfair to players of similar rank from countries with lots of great players Vs those with very few great players.

I think an olympic medal and the chance to represent your country should be all the incentive you need. ThHe olympics are a publicity fest as well so $$ on the endorsements.

Tennis players earn an obscene amount of money as it is. This is the one occassion in 4 years when they should be greatful for what they have and not be greedy.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Virginia Ruano Pascual and Paola Suarez will be battling it out for the end-of-year doubles #1 ranking here then, if doubles points are offered as well (not sure they are) cos it will mess up with their plan of playing all year together to be co-No.1 (unless they both lose early!).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts