Tennis Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with Meelis above, 1908 indoor I have Angela Green at silver not Alice.

1912 indoor "Sofia" Castenschiold.

1924 mixed
G Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman and Dick Williams def
S Marion Zinderstein Jessup and Vincent Richards

·
25,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I agree with Meelis above, 1908 indoor I have Angela Green at silver not Alice.
She is sometimes listed as Angela. Perhaps it was a nickname? The overwhelming majority of sources list her as Alice though-including Wimbledon historians Alan Little and John Barrett. For those reasons I'm going with Alice until we have solid evidence she preferred Angela.

1912 indoor "Sofia" Castenschiold.
Thanks Chalres. I'm going with Sofie, the Germanic/Nordic variant for Sofia.

1924 mixed
G Hazel Hotchkiss Wightman and Dick Williams def
S Marion Zinderstein Jessup and Vincent Richards
I'll post the complete draw soon.

·
Registered
68 Posts
She is sometimes listed as Angela. Perhaps it was a nickname? The overwhelming majority of sources list her as Alice though-including Wimbledon historians Alan Little and John Barrett. For those reasons I'm going with Alice until we have solid evidence she preferred Angela.

QUOTE]

I noticed yesterday that her initials were listed as A. N. G. Greene, so it's possible that somehow this got misinterpreted to Angela. I think it's probably safest to go with Alice, unless we get something definitive to the ccntrary.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
1912 indoor "Sofia" Castenschiold
Thora Gerda Sophie Castenschiold per the official Olympic Games website:
http://www.olympic.org/medallists-results?athletename=castenschiold&category=1&games=&sport=31718&event=&mengender=false&womengender=false&mixedgender=false&teamclassification=false&individualclassification=false&continent=&country=&goldmedal=false&silvermedal=false&bronzemedal=false&worldrecord=false&olympicrecord=false&targetresults=true

Her full name might have been Thora Gerda Sophie Castenschiold af Hagestedgaard. She was born 1 February 1882 in Copenhagen. She died 30 January 1979, 2 days short of her 97th birthday. She married Adolf Bengt Gustaf Carlheim-Gyllensköld til Wallen on 20 August 1912 in Copenhagen. They were divorced in 1942.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts