Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear players,

next season, the Olympic Games will be played in Tokyo and the event will also be held at FWTT. :) The tournament in Rio in 2016 was a huge success :D as we would like to make FWTT better every season, I prepared this thread to have a place to discuss our rules from 2016 and give room for more suggestions. Feel free to come up with every idea :D

Best wishes

Steve

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Olympic Games Thread Tokyo 2020 - all players in!!

These were the rules in 2016:

Singles Entries: 28 + 4 wild cards, max. of 4 players per country.

Doubles Entries: 12 + 4 wild cards, max. of 2 teams per country.

Mixed Entries: 12 + 4 wild cards, max. of 2 teams per country. Players have to be qualified in either singles or doubles to play mixed.

We won't have an extra "Race to the Olympics" and will use the regular singles and doubles rankings to determine the entries. I'll give updated every couple of weeks.

- Computer players (like in Fed Cup) will be allowed to play the Olympics in doubles ONLY, partnering a senior player who doesn't have another senior player from the same nation. If your computer player gets considered for doubles, your doubles ranking and a doubles ranking of 100 (for the computer player) will be considered to determine the entries. You might also be eligible for a WC in doubles.

- No doubles teams formed of two computer players are allowed.

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

With the current amount of players (32/34 active players), a 32er draw sounds reasonable, same for a 16er doubles draw. We could discuss if we expand the mixed doubles draw to 32 teams, with a maximum of 4 teams per country, considering we have several players who don't have a regular partner from their country (they are the only player from a certain country, so singles might be their only option) to give them more opportunities to play for a medal.

It worked very well to use the singles, doubles and mixed doubles (which we didn't have back then) to determine entries, no need for a "Race to the Olympics", which would be extra work as well.

I like the idea of Wild Cards, especially if we have newcomers, players with surprising results, GS runs, etc. In 2016, the players council gave their votes on the Wildcards, but I could think of a public poll and a thread collecting all the players who want to apply for a WC and have a voting afterwards (e.g. players presenting themselves why they should get a WC). The WC's could be very based on recent results, nationalities (current host nation player, experience, former Olympics winner/runtner ups, GS singles, doubles and mixed doubles champions, etc.

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

16 draw in mixed is fine. Perhaps based on mixed ranking?

Absolutely, we will use the mixed doubles rankings after the French Open 2020 to determine the entries :D

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Given our current rules, these would be the entry list of today, using the rankings of November 4th, 2019 (removing all currently inactive/retired players):

SINGLES

1 Fleri Hingisafrilia AUS
2 Anna Barbosa POL
3 Miranda Frost SWE
4 Bianka Harlow GER
5 Maria Abdiakova UZK
6 Jennifer Casanova USA
7 Josephine Tyler-Malone USA
8 Anastasia Nemayeva RUS
9 Soo-jung Park KOR
10 Piper Elliot NOR
11 Elliot Carebear GER
12 Anita Slijngaard NED
13 Sienna Campbell AUS
14 Ariana Salvatore BRA
15 Zivka Žabokrečina SRB
16 Oksana Mikhailova RUS
17 Sabine Graf GER
18 Vittoria Perez ESP
19 Kathleen Pryde-Degman SIN
20 Isidora Islewood NZL
21 Shaitan Reinga NZL
22 Brooke Lynn Hytes CAN
23 Alexandra Anastidis GRE
24 Anete Karklina LAT
25 Nastya Korobkina RUS
26 Tina Faye Falcon AUS
27 Magdalena Malygina EST
28 Juli Victoria Lang GER
29 Chantal Chan HKG
30 Yi Sun CHN
31 Ysaline Fletcher BEL

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

DOUBLES

1) Germany 1# - Graf / Harlow (4)
2) Australia 1# - Hingisafrilia / Campbell (13)
3) USA - Casanova / Tyler-Malone (13)
4) Russia 1# - Nemayeva / Mikhailova (22)
5) Sweden - Frost / Elliot (29)
6) New Zealand - Islewood / Reinga (35)
7) China - Sun / Li (52)
8) Germany 2# - Carebear / Lang (53)
9) South Korea - Park / CP (106)
10) Uzbekistan - Abdiakova / CP (106)
11) The Netherlands - Slijngaard / CP (109)
12) Spain - Perez / CP (111)
---------------------------------------------------------------
12) Singapore - Pryde-Degman / CP (112)
13) Poland - Barbosa / CP (121)
14) Greece - Anastadis / CP (123)
15) Serbia - Zabokrecina / CP (124)
16) Brazil - Salvatore / CP (125)
17) Latvia - Karklina / CP (127)
18) Australia 2# - Falcon / CP (128)
19) Russia 2# - Korobkina / CP (129)
20) Belgium - Fletcher / CP (131)
21) Estonia - Malygina / CP (132)
22) Canada - Hytes / CP (135)
23) Hong Kong - Chan / CP (136)

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

MIXED DOUBLES

1) Russia 1# - Mikhailova / TBA (1)
2) Germany 1# - Harlow / TBA (2)
3) Germany 2# - Graf / TBA (3)
4) Russia 2# - Nemayeva / TBA (4)

5) Germany 3# - Carebear / TBA (5) (currently ineligible due to nationality rule)
6) Sweden 1# - Frost / TBA (6)
7) Uzbekistan - Abdiakova / TBA (7)
8) USA 1# - Casanova / TBA (7)
9) Serbia - Zabokrecina / TBA (9)
10) USA 2# - Tyler-Malone / TBA (10)
11) Singapore - Pryde-Degman / TBA (11)
12) Australia 1# - Campbell / TBA (12)
13) China 1# - Sun / TBA (13)
-------------------------------------------------------
14) Greece - Anastadis / TBA (14)
15) The Netherlands - Slijngaard / TBA (16)
16) Australia 2# - Hingisafrilia / TBA (17)
17) Sweden 2# - Elliot / TBA (17)
18) Brazil - Salvatore / TBA (19)
19) Spain - Perez / TBA (22)
20) New Zealand 1# - Reinga / TBA (24)
21) Germany 4 - Lang / TBA (25) (currently ineligible due to nationality rule)
22) South Korea - Park / TBA (26)
23) New Zealand 2# - Islewood / TBA (26)
24) Canada - Hytes / TBA (28)
25) Latvia - Karklina / TBA (28)
26) Belgium - Fletcher / TBA (31)
27) Australia 3# - Falcon / TBA (32) (currently ineligible due to nationality rule)
28) China 2# - Li / TBA (33)

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Olympic Games Thread Tokyo 2020 - updated after Toronto!

Bump - I just updated all lists with the latest available rankings after Toronto :D

I'm very excited for the mixed doubles draw, especially with only 4 GS tournaments (US Open, Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon) to decide the entries.

With the current amount of players (32/34 active players), a 32er draw sounds reasonable, same for a 16er doubles draw. We could discuss if we expand the mixed doubles draw to 32 teams, with a maximum of 4 teams per country, considering we have several players who don't have a regular partner from their country (they are the only player from a certain country, so singles might be their only option) to give them more opportunities to play for a medal.

I like the idea of Wild Cards, especially if we have newcomers, players with surprising results, GS runs, etc. In 2016, the players council gave their votes on the Wildcards, but I could think of a public poll and a thread collecting all the players who want to apply for a WC and have a voting afterwards (e.g. players presenting themselves why they should get a WC). The WC's could be very based on recent results, nationalities (current host nation player, experience, former Olympics winner/runtner ups, GS singles, doubles and mixed doubles champions, etc.

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Re: Olympic Games Thread Tokyo 2020 - updated after the US Open!

btw, can anyone change nationalities during this year or next and still play for Norway for example? :eek:h:

or if I change my nationality to Sweden to play with Frost? :lol:

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Olympic Games Thread Tokyo 2020 - updated after the US Open!

btw, can anyone change nationalities during this year or next and still play for Norway for example? :eek:h:

or if I change my nationality to Sweden to play with Frost? :lol:

We had a short discussion yesterday and we will have a poll on it by the end of the season, as this matter could be important, especially when it comes to changing nationalities in order to qualify, e.g. mixed doubles: let's say Carebear changes her nationality, she suddenly would be eligible to play (regarding the nationaliy rule with a maximum of 2 players from the same country, currently Harlow and Graf).

·
Registered
24,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dear players,

as decided by the voting, you have time until December 31st, 2019, to change your nationality in order to be eligible to play at the Tokyo Olympics. Please post here, if you want to change your nationality :D

Best, Steve

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Piper Elliot will take her mothers citizenship and switch to Sweden :cheer:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts