Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a case that Justine should be ranked #2 in the world!

Last 4 Slams
Kim: F SF 4th 2nd
Justine: W SF 4th SF

Justine has 2 Slams better then Kim.
Justine has 2 wins over Serena in the last 52 weeks; Kim has 1
I believe they both have 6 titles in the last 52 weeks--Justine has the Slam.

·
NeverWoz
27,565 Posts
I really do agree. Henin has proven to be a more difficult threat to the #1 Serena Williams and IMO other top players. Henin has had more consistant results throughout this year too.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
kim is worldchampion. that's as important as slam results. it was not my idea;)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
irma said:
kim is worldchampion. that's as important as slam results. it was not my idea;)
Normally I would agree, BUT if it was just as important then the ranking points would be the same. Slams give more ranking points, thus they are more important.

·
Registered
149 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Normally I would agree, BUT if it was just as important then the ranking points would be the same. Slams give more ranking points, thus they are more important.
Ok so if it's all about the ranking points, it's clear who should be #2. :)

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Justine will have a chance to become number two. Justine didn't have a very good summer last year and that pulled her down over a 52 week period.

Kim is still reaping great rewards from her fine fall season.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
596 Posts
starr said:
Justine will have a chance to become number two. Justine didn't have a very good summer last year and that pulled her down over a 52 week period.

Kim is still reaping great rewards from her fine fall season.
that's true, but justine has to defend a semi-final in wimbledon, and kims wimbledon result wasn't that good..

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
kim didn't gain much points in the summer either!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Kim, for many reasons.

Number of points being the overwhelming one of course. Justine has had a phenomenal clay season (and I see no reason why she shouldn't have a very good grass season too). But Kim will be strong again definitely by the US hardcourt season, and then we'll see. I'm hoping that this win will give Justine a bit more 'oomph' when we get to hardcourts and indoors.

Kim played a poor game today, and that shouldn't overshadow i) her achievement in getting to the final, or ii) how good and consistent a player she's been this year: Semi finals or better in EVERY tournament she's entered.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
starr said:
Justine didn't have a good summer or fall after Wimbledon. Kim had a GREAT fall season.
justine had a decent fall. Won Linz, semis of Zurich, QF at the Masters. Among other results, anyway.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
In my mind, both are deserving of being #2. Yes, Justine has a win in a major, but Kim has the WTA Championships. Kim also has two Tier 1 titles, which is the same number as Justine, I believe. Plus, Kim has better results on a variety of surfaces. Her biggest 3 titles - the Championships, Indian Wells, and Rome - have come on three different surfaces. Justin's biggest 3 titles were all on clay.

As far as consistency goes, Kim tops Justine there. Kim has made the SF or better in her last 11 tournaments. She has won 6 titles in the past year, and has made 5 other finals. I think those stats are better than Justine's, no?

·
Registered
262 Posts
the one that has gathered most of the points. that's kim, no discussion about it.
Thank you, ans!!! WHY do these threads even get started? :confused: PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE, THE POINTS DON'T LIE!!!!!

Now, if you want to say you think one player is better than another regardless of rankings, that's different. Asking who is the "real" number whatever, isn't a valid question. Unless of course you're talking about the ATP because that system is . . . well, you know. ;)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Simplify said:
Thank you, ans!!! WHY do these threads even get started? :confused: PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE, THE POINTS DON'T LIE!!!!!

Now, if you want to say you think one player is better than another regardless of rankings, that's different. Asking who is the "real" number whatever, isn't a valid question. Unless of course you're talking about the ATP because that system is . . . well, you know. ;)
You feel that the ATP ranking system is bad...I feel that the WTA ranking system is bad. I think my question is very valid. Justine has a Slam; Kim doesn't. Justine, IMO, should be the higher ranked player.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Just wait till year-ends....kim will NOT win again and win thsoe points drop off....poof! Justine will be ranked ahead of her, if not sooner

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
You feel that the ATP ranking system is bad...I feel that the WTA ranking system is bad. I think my question is very valid. Justine has a Slam; Kim doesn't. Justine, IMO, should be the higher ranked player.
Having a slam can't be the only thing that matters. Kim has a slam final and the Championships. That should count for something, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
tennisIlove - It's not as simple as that; if all that mattered were the majors, they wouldn't even play other tournaments ;) Kim has more consistent resaults on a variety of surfaces. Her big 3 titles are on 3 surfaces. Justin's big titles are all on clay.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Justine has a Slam; Kim doesn't. Justine, IMO, should be the higher ranked player.
BUT, that SLAM hasn't given her ENOUGH points to surpass Kim as #2, right?

Again, you can argue who you THINK is BETTER, but as far as ranking, there is NO argument. Hingis is a good example of that. She RIGHTFULLY held the #1 ranking as long as she did because she EARNED ENOUGH points to stay there! However, most people felt there were a few players who were BETTER than her because they had the slams, right?

Now, if Justine gets ANOTHER slam this year she more than likely WILL move to #2, and possibly #1.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts