Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was notified that this site exists, which must be new, but as it is IMG sponsored, they have to be OFFICIAL direct network copies of all rounds of all events offered. Not a lot of 70s/80s (though they do have the witc matches) but this looks mightily comprehensive to me! :eek: If it is a success, perhaps there WILL be a push to retrieve older matches in best-possible condition, as well.

http://www.twiarchive.com/clients/index.shtml#tennis

No idea how much they are charging, but i am surprised it exists. its been a long time coming...

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
daze11 said:
I was notified that this site exists, which must be new, but as it is IMG sponsored, they have to be OFFICIAL direct network copies of all rounds of all events offered. Not a lot of 70s/80s (though they do have the witc matches) but this looks mightily comprehensive to me! :eek: If it is a success, perhaps there WILL be a push to retrieve older matches in best-possible condition, as well.

http://www.twiarchive.com/clients/index.shtml#tennis

No idea how much they are charging, but i am surprised it exists. its been a long time coming...
Thanks for this information and the link Daze. Maybe a group of us should write to them and express interest in older matches. There must be around a dozen of us posters here at least who would be interested in obtaining older footage.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Andy T said:
Thanks for this information and the link Daze. Maybe a group of us should write to them and express interest in older matches. There must be around a dozen of us posters here at least who would be interested in obtaining older footage.
holy shit! :hearts: they have the 1976 wimbledon semi of chris & martina!! (dies....trails off to heaven, wood racquet in hand) :angel:

ps - davis cup from 1976...& vignettes of davis cup/fed cup from 1930 to 1968.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
daze11 said:
holy shit! :hearts: they have the 1976 wimbledon semi of chris & martina!! (dies....trails off to heaven, wood racquet in hand) :angel:

You're kidding daze... You mean it's possible to see Chris vs the bad perm? Fed Cup means lots of BJK and Court plus Evonne footage too! This is so exciting. What's the deal re obtaining copies?

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
Any prices available? I would love to get a hold of some Evonne/Chrissie footage, like the 1974 US and Aussie Open matches.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark39 said:
Any prices available? I would love to get a hold of some Evonne/Chrissie footage, like the 1974 US and Aussie Open matches.
us open is the only grand slam NOT offered. the aussie finals begin in 1975, and i noticed aussie semis dont exist until 1990.

andyT, not sure about cost...i will have to email a friend who has used this service before. i dont want to go in guns a-blazzin'
and make a mis-step. but i'll let you know...

the greatest 'pickings' do appear to be from the wimbledon archive, though.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
the rights for footage will be granted to:
Broadcasters, Educational Institutions, Advertising & Media Agencies, Production Companies, Film Studios, Corporate, Multimedia Interactive and on-line.

...i think i know someone who can do this through the 'education institutions' angle.

rates start at $225 research plus transfer to VHS BITC PAL US$ 90 per hour, and then other fees.

good news: turn around time is 24 hours. :)

...but clearly, getting to the point of reaching the stage of 'turnaround time' will NOT be a snap of the fingers.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
daze11 said:
the rights for footage will be given to:
Broadcasters Educational Institutions
Advertising & Media Agencies Production Companies
Film Studios Corporate
Multimedia Interactive and on-line

..i think i know someone who can do this through the 'education institutions' angle.

rates start at $225 research plus transfer to VHS BITC PAL US$ 90 per hour, and then other fees.

good news: turn around time is 24 hours. :)

...but clearly, getting to the point of reaching the stage of 'turnaround time' will NOT be a snap of the fingers.
Well, girls- at these prices, we're all gonna have to work our street corners just a little bit longer- or raise our rates. :sad:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nelslus said:
Well, girls- at these prices, we're all gonna have to work our street corners just a little bit longer- or raise our rates. :sad:
you underestimate the desperation. ;)

just imagine how bored a bunch of grown men must be to come here daily & weekly to discuss girls slapping a yellow ball across the net 30 years ago. THAT is real boredom...and its a dangerous thing! :drool: :D

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
daze11 said:

just imagine how bored a bunch of grown men must be to come here daily & weekly to discuss girls slapping a yellow ball across the net 30 years ago. THAT is real boredom...and its a dangerous thing! :drool: :D
How true!

We can form a "cartel" (like in Dallas, mark39!) and contribute together. We know that Nelslus is already prepared to go down on his knees for some footage (kiss) and hopefully the likes of Rollo, JeanMi18, Alfajeffster, HanafanGA and Mark39, to name but a few, would be interested in participating.

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
You know you can count me in as well. :) I am keen on just about anything from the 60s and 70s, esp the womens tennis. Those WITC from 1977 are also very appealing.

I ordered some stuff from them a year or so back and got them pretty quickly (in a matter of about 8 weeks). They were two x 60 minute collages of tennis film clips from the 1960s - mainly Wimbledon.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Andy T said:
How true!

We can form a "cartel" (like in Dallas, mark39!) and contribute together. We know that Nelslus is already prepared to go down on his knees for some footage (kiss) and hopefully the likes of Rollo, JeanMi18, Alfajeffster, HanafanGA and Mark39, to name but a few, would be interested in participating.
i would be happy to toss some coin in as well :wavey:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
strange...the person who ordered from them says it only cost $180 for the match they got! They thought that was very expensive...and it IS, compared to $10, but no, not expensive at all compared to a seat at the current us open final.

I am finding out if he approached them as an individual or as an institution. If the latter, perhaps tennisvideos is our best conduit since he is experienced in this level of dealing, has 'institutional' connections to work through, and also has the best equipment of everybody --so to speak ;) -- to distribute format-specific copies of the original to those who go in on a purchase.

Of course, if i am on the verge of finding out that it is a simple matter for an independent individual to approach them for footage--which is not what the website suggests--then it may make things pretty cut & dry easy, and we'll all just gather names for whatever matches we're hungry for.

I only wish they were offering matches prior to 1990 for most of the circuit :mad: :fiery: but at least the wimbledon footage is a top notch event. And of course, there would be a LOT of matches from 1976-on in davis cup & fed cup that would be well worth the research.

·
Registered
500 Posts
daze11 said:

REALLY! I WANT IT!!!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
jeanmi18 said:
REALLY! I WANT IT!!!
i should NOTE that i am saying that based on their statement of Coverage as being "Selected long form (continuous/non-continuous) coverage of the Men’s and Ladies’ singles and doubles quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals, and the mixed doubles finals" from 1952-1989.

They may mean it in a different way than i took it. :shrug: but i assume thats what they mean: that they have all the QF, SF & F tapes from 1952-1989.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
daze11 said:

:lol: I'm late in responding to this message, Daze, but respond I must.....This is the funniest- yet if you think about it too hard- most depressing message I've read on here for some time. Processing this message for us could require a group prescription of Prozac. Somehow, I had this image of a bunch of us biddies singing "I've Written a Letter To Daddy".....in the midst of which we happened to read your message.....then, we took a look in the mirror.....

Of course, count me in. I'll probably only be counted on for Wimbledon tapes- especially BJK. As for Andy's comment :kiss:, I'm not sure I'd be willing to go down on my knees for these tapes- but I might be willing to pull up the garters and show a bit of leg....(or would that involve me pulling DOWN my garters....I always get confused with that part.)

·
Love the Legends of Tennis
4,464 Posts
daze11 said:
strange...the person who ordered from them says it only cost $180 for the match they got! They thought that was very expensive...and it IS, compared to $10, but no, not expensive at all compared to a seat at the current us open final.

I am finding out if he approached them as an individual or as an institution. If the latter, perhaps tennisvideos is our best conduit since he is experienced in this level of dealing, has 'institutional' connections to work through, and also has the best equipment of everybody --so to speak ;) -- to distribute format-specific copies of the original to those who go in on a purchase.

Of course, if i am on the verge of finding out that it is a simple matter for an independent individual to approach them for footage--which is not what the website suggests--then it may make things pretty cut & dry easy, and we'll all just gather names for whatever matches we're hungry for.

I only wish they were offering matches prior to 1990 for most of the circuit :mad: :fiery: but at least the wimbledon footage is a top notch event. And of course, there would be a LOT of matches from 1976-on in davis cup & fed cup that would be well worth the research.
Hi Daze

My request from them was as an individual if I recall correctly. So try that avenue first as it would be easier if that's the case. :)

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
tennisvideos said:
Hi Daze

My request from them was as an individual if I recall correctly. So try that avenue first as it would be easier if that's the case. :)
OK, i've wasted no time in doing that!! :cool: I'll soon let you all know what the response is to a request from an individual. :lol: hopefully it will be good news! :D

1 - 20 of 63 Posts