Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, Serena's fitness level is tantamount to her results. So I'm creating this thread so we can discuss Serena's current fitness level and maybe even cheer her on if she's putting on the pounds. :D

I was just watching the 2005 SF of the Australian Open with Serena vs. Maria and I was just thinking that the Serena of 2009 is about the same level of fitness and speed as the Serena I'm watching in 2005. What fitness level do you guys think the Serena of 2009 is and how would you rank 2009 against her previous seasons?

I would say (from 2001 on):

1. 2002
2. 2001
3. 2003
4. 2004
5. First Half of 2005/2009
6. 2008
7. 2007
8. The Rest of 2005
9. 2006 :lol:

Actually, I'm not so sure about 2006 because I stopped watching tennis during that year so I'm not sure if it's as bad as the rest of 2005 but judging from her results, that sounds about right. What do you all think?

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
1. 2002 - best female athlete ever
2. 2003 - she may not have been quite as magnificent as in 2002, and perhaps bulked up a little, but still the fittest specimen on tour above, Clijsters, Venus Henin and the rest.
3. I would say that fitness-wise from 1999-2001 Serena was round about the same. You occasionally saw her get tired mentally/physically (difficult to tell) in a long match but generally she was the most in-shape player on tour behind Venus and perhaps Capriati for a while in 2001.
4. 2009 - to me despite perhaps carrying a few extra pounds she's looking incredibly fit so far in 2009, as fit as Elena, Venus or anyone.
5. 2004 (incl AO 05) - Serena looked the part, but if you pay close attention you can already see the signs of athletic deterioration, Serena had started to let herself go and it was simply not yet obvious. Serena often seemed out of breath/or simply flat (again its difficult to separate the mental and physical sometimes with Serena).
6. 2008 - her weight fluctuated a little, generally I would say that she was very fit, but probably not as fit as she could have been, especially for the RG-Wim run, she looked fitter in Charleston and then later at the Olympics.
7. Comeback 2006 - end of 2007, again her weight fluctuated, in general she seemed quite fit and problems tended to stem from her game/injury more so than fitness. She got a bit tired against Amelie at the USO, which cost her the match, and against Bammer, but I think that was due in part to lack of big match practice and/or intensity. And even though she was carring more pounds at the AO and Miami she looked just as fit there as she did in say, Rome...
8. After AO 2005 to AO 2006 - Serena was basically fat during this time period, she was in awful shape and did well to win any matches.

So, right now, it's all looking good.

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
you know me and this argument :lol: serena's mind over fitness (AO 07 as opposed to Wimby 08)...when they combine however it is awesome :worship:

i think she is near 04/beginning of 05 fitness...i really believe she can get back as fit as she was in 02/03, not saying she'll look like that but i do believe it's not impossible to be that fit again...

right now i'd say she's at a good fitness level to compete with the level of competition she has...

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^^^I think back in early 2000s she had not finished developing as a woman. She looked very girl-like and she was 20-21-22, but as she really set into herself, having dealt with injury and not playing a lot, I think 04/beginning 05Rena fitness-wise is truer to her woman-hood (if that makes sense) and is attainable and sufficient enough to complete dominance part dos. I forget the name of the fitness guy she is working with, but I wonder what they are trying to achieve fitness-wise.

AO 08Rena through Charleston was as close as I've seen to 02 Rena (based on physical appearance) since early 2005.

That being said, does anyone else think Serena's game is better than it was in 02? I think it is getting there, if not already, and that she has showcased some amazing variety and poise.

All this talk about fitness is seemingly useless though b/c Serena can win no matter how fit. Her will to win outweighs her fitness level as proven by AO 07. Then we've seen Rena so fit and lose horribly :lol:

But yeah I also love when the game and fitness come together like it has been the past few slams.

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
It's amazing what a change we saw after the AO in 05 though, can't remember about Dubai where she played but had to reture I believe, but even a couple of months after by Miami she had put on a load of weight, and by Wimbledon she was just fat :lol:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Haha, yah there were some rough years no doubt...but she has regained her fitness level. I think that we will see much more consistent results from her, she seems to be extremely confident in her game, fitness, body, and mind again! Not only better results, but also some sexy outfits again ;-)) I too believe that she can get back to her prime physical shape, her body does gain fat easily and at the same time she can also add muscle much faster than most. And her conditioning coach's name is Mackie Shilstone.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't wait to see how Serena's looking after her pretty long break. Hopefully she's been working hard with her conditioning coach.

It seems like 2002-2006, we saw Serena go from fit to fat. From 2007-2009 we're seeing the reverse, maybe in 2010 she will be almost back to her 2002-2003 self. If she keeps playing a full schedule, like in 2007 and 2008, we're likely to see that. It's like a Serenaissance. :lol: I think I'll put that in my sig.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I can't wait to see how Serena's looking after her pretty long break. Hopefully she's been working hard with her conditioning coach.

It seems like 2002-2006, we saw Serena go from fit to fat. From 2007-2009 we're seeing the reverse, maybe in 2010 she will be almost back to her 2002-2003 self. If she keeps playing a full schedule, like in 2007 and 2008, we're likely to see that. It's like a Serenaissance. :lol: I think I'll put that in my sig.
lol that's cute. serenaissance.

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
if she wins RG....that's what we call this forum and ourselves!!! :woohoo:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if she wins RG....that's what we call this forum and ourselves!!! :woohoo:
:lol: If she does win it, then it would be definitely be fitting!

;) deal

would we retire "serena slam" permanently or indefinitely?
If she wins WB after winning the RG, then it would be a Serena Slam Part II so it's retired indefinitely.:devil:

·
Rena's Army
35,196 Posts
:lol: If she does win it, then it would be definitely be fitting!

If she wins WB after winning the RG, then it would be a Serena Slam Part II so it's retired indefinitely.:devil:

what you have in the siggy...that's what we should put in our siggy's if she wins RG :sobbing: now i'm getting all excited :crying2:

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
i really like that. it's way better than my "dominance part dos"
serenaissance sounds like something serena would come up with, too.
:)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I missed the match today, but I read that Serena was breathing hard. How did she look? And what's this about McDonald's during the break? :D

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
I didn't notice her breathing hard at all. She was frustrated in the second a tad (but nothing of great note). I felt like she was trying to conserve. She was maybe in gear 2-3 out of a possible 10 from what *I* saw. The wind was bugging her, the sun a bit on a couple of serves. Other than that, she looked to be cool to me.

I'd say next match is a better gauge for how she is.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, having seen a little bit of the Zheng match it appears that Serena is not as fit we think she is. Maybe it's the Dress Effect, but her stomach could definitely be flatter and I'm always wishing she would lose muscle mass or fat on her thighs and calves to no avail. It's been that way since 2006 it seems. Perhaps she HAS been hitting McDonald's since her AO win. :lol:

·
Registered
14,232 Posts
I'm sorry, but that's nonsense. Serena is amply fit. What leads you to believe otherwise? :shrug:
If her stomach was any smaller her body would be completely disproportioned. Serena is not a skinny girl, I don't why some people think she should be. She don't think she can lose any more weight off her thighs, it's all toned anyway; we want to keep those legs sturdy. Part of how she generates her power, these days more than ever, is from her excellent upper-body rotation, which is helped by how she firmly plants herself into the court with those mighty legs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts