Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Same as previous threads, a place to record all of the players that officially retire in 2021.

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Some suggestions of players that haven't been added to the list in the previous years:

Katharina Lehnert (PHL): She retired in 2018 and started working for her former sponsor New Yorker. She's listed as retired on the German wikipedia page and there's also an article in german about her retirement from 2018:

Michelle Sammons (RSA): She played her last pro match in March 2016. In the meantime she was listed as a coach for the Kim Grant academy. I don't know what she's doing right now, but she is listed as "former" tennis player on her Wikipedia page.

Ilze Hattingh (RSA): As mentioned before, she didn't continue on the pro tour and went to the United States to play college tennis. The last info was that she worked towards a career in therapeutic recreation.

Madrie LeRoux (RSA): She played her last pro match at the end of 2018, only playing Fed Cup at the beginning of 2019, since then she hasn't played a match anymore...

Elena Bovina (RUS): I don't know if she's been on a list before. She played her last pro match at the end of 2018.

Valeria Bhunu (ZIM) and Nicole Dzenga (ZIM): They both haven't played a pro match since 1-2 years. The former davis cup team captain said in an article, that zimbabwe lost some promising players due to lack of financial support. They went to the United States to play college tennis with a scholarship, and then that's it. I guess he means the don't return to the pro tour. It seems these two made the same decision as they both seem to play college tennis...

Lesedi Sheya Jacobs (NAM): For her it seems to be the same as with Bhunu and Dzenga. After some promising results on the pro tour she hasn't played a pro match since July 2016. She seems to be playing college tennis in the US, too.

Liniques Theron (NAM): She's listed as retired on her Wikipedia page. She hasn't played a pro match since 2017.

Reactions: Luca Van Diesel

·
Registered
41,699 Posts
Bovina was appearing on ITF lists last year but withdrawing last minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Can we really consider a player as retired if they're playing college tennis? Many times they at least make a short attempt to go pro, or even play a pro tournament on their academic breaks.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Varatchaya Wongteanchai never came back either.
Her IG says former pro

·
Registered
77,256 Posts
Varatchaya Wongteanchai never came back either.
Her IG says former pro
She has entered one of the UTR pro series in Australia, starting Jan 25. This list has players like Yadlapalli and Woolcock playing. I think she is now living in Melbourne with her husband now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts