Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8,486 Posts

A lot of players won't have enough money to come back. Really not sure what the ITF can do for someone like Shapatava ...
But can't she get help from the country she pays income tax to? Most countries will not let their people starve to death.
Like in the case of Canadians 15 or older, they can get 2000$ a month providing they earned at least 5000$ from a job in the passed 12 months before the Covid-19 outbreak.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
But can't she get help from the country she pays income tax to? Most countries will not let their people starve to death.
Like in the case of Canadians 15 or older, they can get 2000$ a month providing they earned at least 5000$ from a job in the passed 12 months before the Covid-19 outbreak.
You have clearly never been to a third world country. Not every government has the money Canada has...

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
You have clearly never been to a third world country. Not every government has the money Canada has...
That money, Canada doesn't have it. It's created out of thin air by our central bank. Any country can do that. Like Denmark did, guaranteeing 75% of the salary of anybody who lost their job. They don't have that money either. Even a very poor country can create billions of new money but if their economy is weak that money would be worth almost nothing outside of that country.

·
Registered
8,021 Posts
That money, Canada doesn't have it. It's created out of thin air by our central bank. Any country can do that. Like Denmark did, guaranteeing 75% of the salary of anybody who lost their job. They don't have that money either. Even a very poor country can create billions of new money but if their economy is weak that money would be worth almost nothing outside of that country.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Just take this into consideration.
The USA has a National Debt of $25.3 trillion but the U.S. Senate passed a $2.2 trillion aid package in response to covid-19
The U.S. doesn't have that money or they would have paid the debt with it? The central bank (FED) will create the aid money as will other Central Banks in other countries. They have to do that in a State of emergency. The Bank will claim it"s a loan, but since they have to lower the interest rate on all the debt, it's gifted money necessary to keep the country from bankruptcy.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
1. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN)

2. Jessica Moore (AUS)

3. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS)

4. Maria Sharapova (RUS)

5. Johanna Larsson (SWE)

6. Rika Fujiwara (JPN)

7. Anna Tatishvili (USA)

8. Vania King (USA)

List updated with King's retirement.

·
Registered
53,866 Posts
Former #54 Silvia Soler Espinosa has officially retired (via FB statement).

She was currently recovering from an injury and has finally given up. Finalist of 2 WTA singles events, winner of a WTA doubles Premier event, she won 14 MD singles matches at Grand Slams and played the 2012 Olympics.

·
Registered
12,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
1. Caroline Wozniacki (DEN)

2. Jessica Moore (AUS)

3. Ekaterina Makarova (RUS)

4. Maria Sharapova (RUS)

5. Johanna Larsson (SWE)

6. Rika Fujiwara (JPN)

7. Anna Tatishvili (USA)

8. Vania King (USA)

9. Silvia Soler Espinosa (ESP)

List updated with Soler Espinosa's retirement

·
Registered
40,274 Posts
Aaa poor Jamie Hampton made that Eastbourne final and that was that, really sad for her never recovered reckon she would’ve been a regular top 30 player, sad but it was coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84,910 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
A lot of goodbyes coming this summer I think.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Such a pity. Great player to watch and seems like a nice person.

She collected a few big wins with her 2013 season with wins over Kvitova, Radwanska, Wozniacki, Muguruza, Safarova, Bertens and Vinci

I hope she finds happiness and success with her studies and whatever lies beyond them.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
I hope she finds happiness and success with her studies and whatever lies beyond them.
Especially this. I remember an interview with her during her rise into the top 30 and she was asked what she does other than tennis, and she basically said, Nothing. On my days off, I watch tennis. When I have down times during tournaments, I watch tennis. I live, eat, and breathe tennis.

The past years must have been so, so hard for her. Really hope she's in a good place in every way now.

She used to post here, too, I think in the WTA World days. Used to give some good gossip about fellow American junior players, IIRC she had some pointed things to say about Vandeweghe.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Such a pity. Great player to watch and seems like a nice person.

She collected a few big wins with her 2013 season with wins over Kvitova, Radwanska, Wozniacki, Muguruza, Safarova, Bertens and Vinci

This was so sad to read, I had to force myself. Hampton is the career that truly could have been. Wishing here the best, such a talent.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts