Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[UPDATED]
Now, 2020 Tokyo Olympics are postponed officially, due to the coronavirus.

No Olympic tennis this year.

“On the basis of the information the IOC has, postponement has been decided,” Pound said in a phone interview. “The parameters going forward have not been determined, but the Games are not going to start on July 24, that much I know.”
Pound, a Canadian who has been one of the most influential members of the IOC for decades, said he believes the IOC will announce its next steps soon.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,287 Posts
Good for Mr Pound making this decision swiftly and not leaving athletes on the lurch unsure what is happening. Also sensible of Mr Pound and the IOC to keep the date of the postponement open until they have discussed it with the myriad of people who will be affected by this decision.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Good!

The schedule is better now. Wimbledon is likely questionable now.

Before:

Wimbledon: June 29 - July 12 (Grass)
Olympics: July 24 - August 9 (Hard)
US Open: August 24 - September 13 (Hard)
French Open: September 20 - October 4 (Clay)

After:

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
It does open up the summer so maybe they will play all 4 majors in 2020. I still want to see if Royal Ascot goes on. The Queen hasnt missed many of those and she turns 94 in a month

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
It does open up the summer so maybe they will play all 4 majors in 2020. I still want to see if Royal Ascot goes on. The Queen hasnt missed many of those and she turns 94 in a month
There's not a chance the Queen leaves the country home. Charles is probably in isolation too. They're already putting Prince William in the role as their public proxy, Prince Regent Pro Tempore in all but name.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Good!

The schedule is better now. Wimbledon is likely questionable now.

Before:

Olympics: July 24 - August 9 (Hard)

After:
I think it'll most likely be something like this:
July 20: ATP/WTA grass court tournaments
July 27: Wimbledon
August 3: Wimbledon
August 10: ATP/WTA hard court tournaments
August 17: Canadian Open
August 24: Cincinnati
August 31: US Open
September 7: US Open
September 13: ATP/WTA clay court tournaments
September 20: French Open
September 27: French Open

·
Registered
9,017 Posts
Wow. Strange times we live in. And sad.
It's wise decision. The Olympics would be much better once this pandemic Is somewhat under control.

·
Registered
10,678 Posts
Good for Mr Pound making this decision swiftly and not leaving athletes on the lurch unsure what is happening. Also sensible of Mr Pound and the IOC to keep the date of the postponement open until they have discussed it with the myriad of people who will be affected by this decision.

Yup. Even if the Olympic Games were somehow to take place this summer, it would be unfair for these athletes that cannot train properly because of the virus restrictions. There are countries that are unaffected, remember that. Our track & field athletes (that are supposed to be favoured to medal among our athletes) mentioned that in interviews (like Adam Kszczot).

·
Registered
113,203 Posts
Now that the Olympics is in 2021 it opens up the summer if its possible to have a tennis tournament
Wimbledon might fall back to August.
This is going to be a strange and unique year

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
There is no way they are going to play Wimbledon in late June when the Olympics have already been cancelled for late July. The Coronavirus situation is currently much worse in the UK compared to Japan.

I also do not think they are going to try to reschedule for later in the year. Wimbledon is not a greedy bitch like the French Open.

·
Registered
31,010 Posts
How could a tournament use their spot? The Olympics have been cancelled for a reason !?!

I wonder what will be the qualification process be now. Will they use the current frozen rankings or will they have a race from whenever the tour starts again to the usual cut off date?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts