Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
It may be the one thing Brian and I are in total agreement on. She's done a huge amount in the southern US to make tennis an option for kids whose parents can't afford the high-priced Florida academies. The 5 Junior Tournaments each fall are just the high visibility part, but the scouting and coaching goes on most of the year. And yes, the "head coach" Jerry Simmons (formerly of LSU) openly admits he'd like a prodigy that he can coach for $ as a pro to emerge, but it's perfectly fair IMO after what he and "Shonda" (Jerry pronounces `it that way, too!) have put into the program. http://www.jstennis.com :)

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reason #1 why Chanda deserves the Sanex Hero award: her support for developing tennis players. As RD878 mentioned, she's financially supported a series of junior tournaments in the US, so young talents wouldn't have to travel all over the world to get the experience and ranking points, like she had to. She wants to make it easier for other players to develop. The website is listed in RD's post.

I'll be back with another reason tomorrow.

A sneaky ploy to keep this thread bumped up near the top of the forum? You bet. :)

Vote Chanda!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A heroic on-court performance on the docket today. It's perhaps the greatest single-match comeback in tennis history.

I'm talking about the 1995 Roland Garros 3r match between Chanda and Jana Novotna. Chanda was down 0-5, 0-40 in the 3rd set, and fought off 9 match points en route to an 8-6 3rd set win.

How much of the match did you see? I only got to see it from the middle of the 3rd set, and only because NBC needed some filler in their telecast. (They had already given the result.)

I'll be back tomorrow with more. C'mon, Chanda fans. Let's keep touting our fave. We've got an uphill battle for the Sanex Hero award. But our fave knows all about big comebacks. :)

Vote Chanda!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To make a big comeback on court, and to be a hero, you need a lot of heart. Chanda has a lot of heart. Which brings us to today's tidbit:

Chanda has had a direct, hands-on involvement with the American Heart Association. Her involvement goes beyond fund-raising and donating money. She actually would go to the heart health awareness activities and hand out information pamphlets personally.

A lot of athletes give generously to financially support their favorite causes, and these contributions are very commendable. But it takes a special athlete to take time out of a busy playing/training schedule to give direct hands-on assistance.

That's all for today's salespitch. Be back soon. :)

Vote for Chanda!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the areas of tennis Chanda has supported is wheelchair tennis. In fact, she has served has a spokesman for wheelchair tennis. So she's not just supporting potential future tour stars, but also helping to make tennis available for all people to enjoy. On behalf of those of us who are "physically challenged", I say Thanks.

Vote for Chanda!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The next on the lengthy list of causes Chanda supports is the Women's Sports Foundation. For those not familiar with it, the WSF was one of the ventures founded by Billie Jean King with the prize money she won defeating Bobby Riggs. Its purpose is to help provide opportunities for girls and women in sports.

To underscore this, they hold an annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day, where several prominent women in the sports world gather. Chanda has been a regular participant/supporter.

Vote for Chanda!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chanda has a soft spot for kids. She has done a lot to help disadvantaged children. Some of these are the children of prison inmates. Chanda has helped out by personally reading to these kids. It means a lot to them to see someone cares about them, especially in troubling times with a parent in prison. She's a very caring person indeed.

Vote for Chanda!

·
Plainclothes Division
6,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yet another worthy cause Chanda supports is the United Negro College Fund. She has made many appearances on their behalf, along with others like Zina Garrison and Rosie Casals.

Because, as their slogan says, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." So don't waste yours. Do the smart thing. Vote for Chanda! :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts