Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serena Williams is probably the most aggressive of the elite player.
Kim Clijsters is probably the most defensive.

Where would you put everyone else? For that matter ANYone else?

Code:
Offense  Serena
         Monica
         Lindsay
         Justine
         Venus
         Jenn
Defense  Kim

· Registered
47,657 Posts
Yeah, for that matter Kim´s the most defensive big-babe ever! I mean at least ASV was small, there wasn´t much she could do. But Kim is almost twice the size of Justine and she lets Justine dictate the match?! Pluuuzzzz!!

· Registered
9,295 Posts
Volcana said:
Serena Williams is probably the most aggressive of the elite player.
Kim Clijsters is probably the most defensive.

Where would you put everyone else? For that matter ANYone else?

Code:
Offense  Serena
         Monica
         Lindsay
         Justine
         Venus
         Jenn
Defense  Kim
Do you mean when top players have to play against each other? Coz if you ask some of the lower ranked players they will probably tell you Kim is a very offensive player. She can hit winners off both wings, use he drop shot and lob so effectively.
I wouldn't put Venus that low offense wise. She can be both offensive and defensive. No way is justine more offensive than Venus.
A player can only be as offensive as your opponent makes you be. Take Serena, against most players she is on the attack almost all the time. against Jen she is forced to get more defensive.

· Registered
24,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tennnisfannn said:
Do you mean when top players have to play against each other?
Yes. And i agree with your assessment of Kim's game vs all but top five players.

· Registered
3,465 Posts
Ummm... Chanda is one of the most agressive/offensive players in the game... She always goes for her shots (which is great when she's on but when she's off it means tons of unforced errors like at the US Open) :confused:???

· Registered
3,489 Posts
looking at the top ten currently:

1. Kim Clijsters -- DEFENSIVE
2. Justine Henin-Hardenne -- OFFENSIVE
3. Serena Williams -- OFFENSIVE
4. Lindsey Davenport -- OFFENSIVE
5. Jennifer Capriati -- OFFENSIVE
6. Venus Williams -- OFFENSIVE
7. Amelie Mauresmo -- BOTH
8. Elena Dementieva -- OFFENSIVE
9. Chanda Rubin -- BOTH
10. Anastasia Myskina -- DEFENSIVE

· Senior Member,
2,809 Posts
1. Kim Clijsters -- DEFENSIVE (COUNTERPUNCHER)
2. Justine Henin-Hardenne -- DEFENSIVE (COUNTERPUNCHER)
7. Amelie Mauresmo -- DEFENSIVE
9. Chanda Rubin -- OFFENSIVE
10. Anastasia Myskina -- OFFENSIVE

I think it's difficult to categorise though. Players may have defensive strategies but apply offensive tactics. Mauresmo, for example, is mostly content to stay on the baseline, mixing up the spins and changing the pace. Of course she will mix things up a bit, by hitting out or coming to net, but I'd say she's not looking to end the point in more than 60% of the points. But it's not set in stone. There are matches where she'll predominantly serve and volley or come in on approaches.

Henin, too, is beocming more aggressive, but essentially she prefers to stay at the back and prise errors from the opponent with her spins and angles. It's pro-active, yes, but it's pro-active defense if that makes sense. ;)

· Sabatini lover Forever
14,605 Posts
j_dementieva27 said:
looking at the top ten currently:

1. Kim Clijsters -- DEFENSIVE
2. Justine Henin-Hardenne -- OFFENSIVE
7. Amelie Mauresmo -- BOTH
9. Chanda Rubin -- BOTH
10. Anastasia Myskina -- DEFENSIVE
I would not rate Jennifer as an offensive player, watch her play against the likes of Henin, Venus, Serena , Davenport and even Clijsters and she does not seem to be the one in control of the match.. Probably she lost her match against Henin at the Usopen by her lack of agression in the decisive stages.

· Registered
880 Posts
1. Kim Clijsters -- DEFENSIVE- the ultimate counterpuncher
2. Justine Henin-Hardenne -- DEFENSIVE / OFFENSIVE- very opportunistic and offensive when the time is right
3. Serena Williams -- OFFENSIVE / DEFFENSIVE- always looking for the winner but can defend with the best of them
5. Jennifer Capriati -- DEFFENSIVE / OFFENSIVE- very opportunistic and offensive when the time is right
6. Venus Williams -- DEFFSIVE TO OFFENSIVE- she's most lethal turning a defensive point into an offensive winner
7. Amelie Mauresmo -- DEFENSIVE/ OFFENSIVE- very opportunistic and offensive when the time is right
9. Chanda Rubin -- OFFENSIVE
10. Anastasia Myskina -- NEUTRAL- not really GREAT at attacking or defending, but at the same time not bad at either as well.

· Registered
2,268 Posts
I think Davenport is the one who plays more offense than defense (in terms of percentage). She doesn't move well and her defence is quite bad for a top10 player. But, when she attacks she can be very aggressive and powerful.
Venus has, I think, the best mix of defense/ offense.
You know, there are some balls, you simply can't attack. And if you play Serena you'll be more defensive than if you play the top 20. That's not a reason, to call you defensive.
When Venus defends, she can find some angles, some spins and a length of ball (especially cross-court shots) that really disturb her opponents.
And when she attacks, she attacks really well !!

· Registered
47,657 Posts
justine&coria said:
I think Davenport is the one who plays more offense than defense (in terms of percentage). She doesn't move well and her defence is not quite bad for a top10 player. But, when she attacks she can be very aggressive and powerful.
Venus has, I think, the best mix of defense/ offense.
You know, there are some balls, you simply can't attack. And if you play Serena you'll be more defensive than if you play the top 20. That's not a reason, to call you defensive.
When Venus defends, she can find some angles, some spins and a length of ball (especially cross-court shots) that really disturb her opponents.
And when she attacks, she attacks really well !!
Yeah, that´s why when people drool over how good Kim´s defense is, I´m like duh that´s the only thing she does. Venus´s defense is still the best in the game!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.