Tennis Forum banner

3981 - 4000 of 4029 Posts

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
The Auckland WTA tournament has often been hampered by the rule that they can only secure one player ranked inside the top 10 each year.

Williams is currently No 8 in the world, which would usually preclude Classic tournament director Karl Budge from chasing a number of other big name stars.

However, Budge says the 37-year old is exempt from the top 10 rule.

"Her, Venus and Maria Sharapova are covered by and exception rule for service," Budge said.

"So whether she's No 1 or 85 in the world, it doesn't make a difference for us.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/115144421/why-serena-williams-wont-be-the-top-seed-at-next-years-asb-classic
I did't know there was such an exception rule, or maybe I knew but forgot it.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Did you go to see her yesterday? She practiced/played with Sakkari.

As for today, I don't see her name on practice schedule. Either she will practice on Arthur Ashe stadium (they don't update practice schedule for that court) or it's day off

·
Registered
613 Posts

As for today, I don't see her name on practice schedule. Either she will practice on Arthur Ashe stadium (they don't update practice schedule for that court) or it's day off
No couldn’t get there yesterday. Will try tomorrow if she’s on the schedule. :cool:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

I did not see a practice schedule for today on the US Open website.

·
Registered
4,431 Posts
Thrilled for Andreescu. Was skeptic when she won IW and thought it was a fluke, but the girl proved she'll be a serious Slam contender in the future bar injuries :yeah:

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Called it re: Bianca. :lol: But it's not that big of a surprise, she's technically undefeated since March, and also undefeated against top 10 players.

I wouldn't be surprised if she won the tournament. Most impressive young player to me for sure.
Also, I love Rafa and I'm glad he got #19. But Medvedev is the real deal. He reminds me of Bianca the way they really act like they belong and they deserve to win and nothing less, that's how they can go toe-to-toe with the greats.

The new generation is coming.

3981 - 4000 of 4029 Posts