(11) S Williams vs Strycova
(8) Svitolina vs (7) Halep

USO 19
(13) Bencic vs (15) Andreescu
(5) Svitolina vs (8) S Williams

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
What a shit-show by the top players! The most consistent top player is still 38-year-old Serena Williams. That says a lot about how bad today's top players are.
Barty is No. 1 in the world with only one appearance among the final four in two years! Pliskova and Kvitova are top 10 mainstays with only one appearance, Bertens has been top 10 almost all year and she's nowhere to be found on that list. What a joke!

·
Registered
21,914 Posts
For me, it is a toss-up between AO19 (sans Collins) and the current USO.

·
Registered
555 Posts
AO 18
(1) Halep vs (21) Kerber
(2) Wozniacki vs Mertens

FO 18
(1) Halep vs (3) Muguruza
(10) Stephens vs (13) Keys

WB 18
(12) Ostapenko vs (11) Kerber
(13) Goerges vs (25/PR) S Williams

USO 18
(17) S Williams vs (19) Sevastova
(14) Keys vs (20) Osaka

AO19
(4) Osaka vs (7) Pliskova
(8) Kvitova vs Collins

FO 19
(8) Barty vs Anisimova
(26) Konta vs Vondrousova

WB 19
(11) S Williams vs Strycova
(8) Svitolina vs (7) Halep

USO 19 - Sorry Bencic, but the other 3 are my all time least favourite players
(13) Bencic vs (15) Andreescu
(5) Svitolina vs (8) S Williams

Mug and Maddie, I hope it happens again:

FO 18
(1) Halep vs (3) Muguruza
(10) Stephens vs (13) Keys

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Considering a combination of how exciting the matchups are from a neutral perspective and how much I like the SFists... it's this one. Love Bencic and Serena, really appreciate what Andreescu is bringing to the game (don't necessarily jive with her personality but I definitely love watching her), have increasing respect for how Svitolina works to improve her game. Fresh and exciting matchups, great combination of familiar and new faces, everyone has a really interesting narrative. No weak links at all. No caveats.

RG 18 had 4/4 big names but honestly Keys against any counterpuncher in the latter stages of a Slam may as well be a random unknown for all the entertainment she brings. RG 19 isn't as bad on paper as it turned out to be but too many new faces all at once kinda of dilutes the excitement (and makes nerves and poor-quality matches more likely).

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
RG 19 isn't as bad on paper as it turned out to be .
What do you mean? The quality of play was abysmal. Barty, Anisimova and Vondrousova still have to prove that their run wasn't a fluke and Konta... well, we all know that she'll always be an average player.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is by far my favourite line up. I really like Bencic and Andreescu, so I'm guaranteed to have a favourite in the final. I've always admired Svitolina for her general consistency and work ethic, even if I don't find her game style the most pleasing, and I'm even warming a bit to Serena, and her being in the latter stages means there's guaranteed to be more general interest, and although she has made a few slam finals, it's not as if she's come back and has won everything which I was a bit concerened about. She has featured in 7 of these 8 slams, but as yet, hasn't won one, so if this is her time, then fair play to her.

I don't think there's an odd name involved. If Serena was/is healthy then nobody should be surprised to see her here. Many on here were predicting Bianca to make the final at the start of the event, and Svitolina had just made a slam semi final on her weakest surface, and has come through Venus-Yastremska-Keys-Konta in succession, which must be one of the harder consecutive runs to get to a slam semi in recent years, and she's not dropped a set. Bencic might have been the least likely of the 4, but she has still won a big P5 this year, has 9 top ten wins, and was 2-0 this year against the #1 seed who was in her section and coming into this with injury doubts following Cincy, so not really that much of a surprise either.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
What do you mean? The quality of play was abysmal. Barty, Anisimova and Vondrousova still have to prove that their run wasn't a fluke and Konta... well, we all know that she'll always be an average player.
This place gets no better at reading comprehension, does it.

It turned out bad, as we all know, but those aren't bad names. Anisimova and Vondrousova are two of the top teenage prodigies around (and have been ones to watch for years). Barty is a legit top 10 player, Konta was one of the most in-form clay players. I'd have called it an exciting lineup ahead of the matches.

·
Registered
115,529 Posts
I like the first 2 because the winners had about 50 titles combined and were #1 a long time and got the right draw for a major win

Reactions: NMQ

·
Registered
131 Posts
(1) Halep vs (21) Kerber
(2) Wozniacki vs Mertens

Because of the egos :))) Halep, Kerber, Wozniacki they were on a mission

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So at least one vote for every slam, but this tournament's line up is the clearly most popular so far.

·
Registered
286 Posts
This one the best, RG19 the worst by far

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I like this group this best because all the players are really good players, no absolute randoms in the semi finals...plus it's great to see the future of tennis with Andreescu and Bencic represented...much better than the dismal state of the ATP where no one knows what will happen when the "BIG 3" retire...

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
My favourites are this year's USO followed by AO. I was really looking forward to the all czech final, but Naomi spoiled the party.

·
Registered
21,914 Posts
on a sidenote- serena losing 4 wuinnable finals has me real mad.
Don't worry, if she makes it to the final against Bianca, it won't be winnable, so she can lose with dignity... this time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts