Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in General Forum but wanted to share here as well:

Jeanne Evert Dubin, a younger sister of Chris and a solid player in her own right, has passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. She was 62. Here is a link to the obituary: Jeanne Evert Dubin, sister of Chris and world-class player, dies at 62

Condolences to her family, including her two children. Her husband died several years earlier.
I always rooted for Jeanne. She had some good results at a young age but never had the competitive drive of Chris. I remember an article where she candidly talked about being the other Evert. I can’t remember the exact quote but she basically talked about how her opponents seemed to try extra hard against her, then she noted: “I’ve had a lot of good losses.”

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I was surprised to hear of her passing, even though she was ten years older than me I somehow always thought of her as a kid. Perhaps it was her small stature and ever present smile. Very sad.

·
25,232 Posts
To me Jeanne was a cuter and friendlier version of Chris. It must have been tough being the "other" Evert. Fans would flock to see her then turn around when they realized she wasn't Chris.

Credit to them both for staying close.

Feeling sadness for the Evert family, and tonight, feeling my age.

Thanks for sharing Jem.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
While the Everts were a tennis playing family, Jeanne was the only other one of the kids besides Chris who played full-time on the pro tour. I believe that John, Drew and Clare all played college tennis but none of them ever attempted a pro career. Judging by her autobio and other bios of Chrissie, it's clear they were very close growing up and though Chris would talk at length about how her refusal to let her guard down for a second on-court ruined a couple of friendships it didn't seem to affect her relationship with Jeanne (though, who knows). Interestingly, Chrissie and Jeanne both got married in the same year, 1979, though Jeanne's marriage lasted until her husband's death, whereas Chrissie took a few more strolls down the aisle...I feel bad for Chrissie (well I feel bad for the whole family, but Chrissie is the one I'm most familiar with), losing her dad a couple of years back and now Jeanne's passing must be quite a blow.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Pammy, I thought Clare did play some pro tournies, very briefly? Or am I just recalling early 80s articles about the fact that she might and her possible potential, given that she was Chris’s size, not Jeannies? One can never sort out deteriorating memories of rifling through my monthly World Tennis and Tennis Magazines circa 1981!
no doubt if she did dip her feet in the professional waters, you were there to show her the ropes about The Mens on tour. #pammysstraightdatetips1985

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
No, Clare definitely got some Wild Cards, I believe she either played in the main draw or the Qualies of the Lipton as Miami was known back then, and sure;y might have gotten another few WCs for South Florida events, as I'm sure both Drew and John played in some pro events as well, what I meant was, Jeanne was the only other sibling to play professionally full time and made a (brief) career of it. Fun fact: I beat Jeanne at her last U.S. Open in my epic run to my first (and last!) Grand Slam final in 1978. After that it was ALL MEN ALL the TIME and I was always exhausted and sore by the time the second week rolled around. Fun fact part 2: the song So Many Men So Little Time sung by Miquel Brown was inspired by my book Passing Shots (the unedited edition which was never released!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts