Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
5,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For Mana and other fans of NZ's WTA Ranked Ladies - Marina Erakovic, Leanne Baker, Eden & Paula Marama, Tracey O'Connor, Shona Lee, & Sacha Jones

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Hey guys!
This threads going be awesome, I just know it!! Sean, I think and "IMPORTANT" tag, is a very good idea!! Who can put one on for us??

Anyway, thanks again guys for your great support of the Kiwi chicks!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Futures In Taupo Start
Runner's up in last years ASB Classic doubles final, New Zealander Leanne Baker and her regular Italian doubles partner, Francesca Lubiani highlight day one of the inaugural LochEagles US$10,000 women's Futures event at Taupo tomorrow (Tuesday).

Baker and Lubiani reached the final of the ASB Classic doubles in 2005 and also played in the Australian Open. The pair have numerous Futures and Challenger titles together and are the top seeds in Taupo.

On day one of the event held at the newly renovated Taupo Tennis Club they face Kiwi wildcard combination Lisa Wilkinson who hails from Wellington but now lives in Hamilton and another teenager Emma Hayman of Wanganui.

Also on court will be the highly rated New Zealand junior combination of 15-year-old Sacha Jones from Auckland and Canterbury's Ellen Barry, 17.

Both reached the second round of the Australian Open junior singles draw and the doubles draw together.

They play Australian Bianca Aquistapace and American Kit Carson in the first round of doubles.

No New Zealanders play singles on day one meaning that day two of the event will feature Ellen Barry (ranked at 32 in juniors) against a Japanese opponent Haruka Fujishiro, fourth seed Baker versus another Kiwi teen, Kairangi Vano.

Jones who is 61st in the world in juiors will face eighth seed Biffy Kaufman of the United States who is ranked at 606 in seniors while Hayman takes on the top seed Lubiani who is a former world top-70 player.

Main draw singles play commences at 11am.

Results from final round of singles qualifying. Katerina Kramperova(CZE) bt Helen Parson(AUS) 6-3 6-1, Anna Fitzpatrick(GBR) bt Keli Zahmel(AUS) 6-2 6-3, Nicole Kriz(AUS) bt Wing Yau Chan(HK) 6-0 6-3, Se Na Lee(Korea) bt Ashlee Brown(AUS) 2-6 7-6(4) 6-3, Tinusha Sivaganam(Malaysia) bt Hye-I Byun(Korea) 6-2 6-7(6) 6-4, Shao-Yuan Kao(Korea) bt Brittany Sheed(AUS) 6-0 6-3, Ling Zhang(HK) bt Eun-Hye Cho(Korea) 6-2 6-2, Jessica Moore(AUS) bt Lisa Wilkinson(NZL) 6-0 6-3.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
AHHHHHH...Leanne has the worst draw ever!! Kairangi Vano is an awesome player! Last year she had top wins over Sacha Jones, Ellen Barry and Shona Lee. Kai and Leeanne teamed up to take the NZ National doubles title, so Leanne will know her game well. This year in Kai's first ever pro match she lost to Roko Fuda of Japan (rnkd about #150) 62 67 62. This was an awesome effort!! Kai plays from the base line. If leanne wants to win, she wil have to ba serving well and going for her shots. GO Leanne!!

GO all the Kiwi girls!!!!

I think its awesome to see Lee and Fran playing doubles here. They will have a very easy win first up. I think it could be 60 60.

Go all the Kiwi's in singles and doubles!!!

:worship::kiss::drool:

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Futures Underway In Taupo
Top doubles seeds Leanne Baker and Francesca Lubiani cruised into the quarter-finals of the inaugural LochEagles US$10,000 women's Futures tournament in Taupo in hot conditions on day one.

The Kiwi and Italian pair beat New Zealand wildcards Emma Hayman(Wanganui) and Lisa Wilkinson(Waikato) in the first round of doubles 6-1 6-3.

Meanwhile the teenage pairing of Ellen Barry and Sacha Jones were defeated by the duo of Bianca Aquistapace(Australia) and American Kit Carson 6-4 7-6(7).

In singles the three seeded players on day one had straightforward wins with Australian seventh seed Lisa D'Amelio, sixth seed Natsumi Hamamura of Japan winning in straight sets while fifth seed Kyung-Mi Chang of Korea winning in three sets over Shannon Gold.

Day two of the tournament features Ellen Barry (ranked at 32 in juniors) playing a winnable match against a Japanese opponent Haruka Fujishiro(ranked 908 in seniors) plus fourth seed Baker versus another Kiwi teen, Kairangi Vano.

Jones who is 61st in the world in juiors and at just over 700 in seniors will face eighth seed Biffy Kaufman of the United States who is ranked at 606. Hayman takes on the top seed Lubiani who is a former world top-70 player.

(1)Leanne Baker(NZL)/Francesca Lubiani(ITA) bt (WC)Emma Hayman(NZL)/Lisa Wilkinson(NZL) 6-1 6-3
Bianca Aquistapace(AUS)/Kit Carson(USA) bt (WC)Ellen Barry(NZL)/Sacha Jones(NZL) 6-4 7-6(7)
Tomorrow:
Sacha Jones(NZL) v (8)Biffy Kaufman(USA)
(1)Francesca Lubiani(ITA) v (WC)Emma Hayman(NZL)
(WC)Ellen Barry(NZL)
v Haruka Fujishiro(JPN)
(4)Leanne Baker(NZL) v (WC)Kairangi Vano(NZL)

Great work Leanne and Fran today! A very solid win to start the tourney!
Good try Ellen & Sacha, your time will come girls!!

Good luck to all the Kiwi gals tomorrow, Go Leanne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:kiss::drool::worship:

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Play starts in Taupo in just under 50mins. Good luck Sacha, Emma, Ellen & Leanne!!! (Sorry Kai:sad:, but Leanne needs these points!!)
I would not be suprised at all to see Kai beat Leanne. Very gutted, but not suprised! Cmon Leanne!!!!!!!

Emma has a huge job ahead, just go out there and do your best! Try to get at least 2 games in each set:D!!

My Predictions:
Sacha Jones(NZL) def. (8)Biffy Kaufman(USA) 75 63
(1)Francesca Lubiani(ITA) def. (WC)Emma Hayman(NZL) 61 62
(WC)Ellen Barry(NZL) def. Haruka Fujishiro(JPN) 64 36 63
(4)Leanne Baker(NZL) def. (WC)Kairangi Vano(NZL) 64 62

Prove me wrong Emma!!:kiss:

Go Girls!!!!!!!!!!!

(

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Rain & Loss For Jones At Taupo
Rain put a dampener on first round play at the inaugural LochEagles US$10,000 women's tennis Futures.

The day was also notable for one of New Zealand's most promising players, Sacha Jones, 15 of Auckland losing her first round match.

Jones ranked at 741 in the world in seniors lost to the 606th ranked Biffy Kaufman of the United States 6-2 7-6(5) in hot conditions after play had been delayed for two hours after light drizzle.

The tall Kaufman, 24 successfully charged the net forcing Jones into uncharacteristic errors in the first set.

In the second set Jones fought back to lead 3-1 but then lost the next four games before managing to claw her back to a tiebreak which she lost seven points to five against the flat-hitting Kaufman.

Meanwhile second seed Emily Hewson of Australia won her match in straight sets over Korea's Hee-Sun Lyoo-Suh but third seed Lauren Barnikow of the United States was defeated 6-2 6-0 by talented British player Jade Curtis who turns 16 later this week.

As a result of the rain which became steady late in the afternoon all first round matches including the contest between Kiwis Leanne Baker and Kairangi Vano as well as Ellen Barry against Haruka Fujishiro of Japan will be completed tomorrow (Thursday) starting at 11am at the Taupo Tennis Club.

Top seed Francesca Lubiani verus Kiwi Emma Hayman will be completed with Lubiani leading 2-0 in the first set. All second round singles will also be played.

First round results (8)Biffy Kaufman(USA) bt Sacha Jones(NZL) 6-2 7-6(5), (Q)Nicole Kriz(AUS) bt Tinusha Sivaganam(MAS) 6-1 6-1, (Q)Jade Curtis(GBR) bt (3)Lauren Barnikow(USA) 6-2 6-0, Christina Fusano(USA) bt Hye-Mi Byun(KOR) 6-4 6-1, (2)Emily Hewson(AUS) bt Hee-Sun Lyoo-Suh(KOR) 6-4 6-2.

Sacha:eek:, on to next week I guess..! Good luck tomorrow Leanne and Ellen! And FIGHT Emma!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Hey Mana, Do u know or anyone else know what's up with Tracey O'Connor. She's withdrawn from all the NZ & Aus tournaments. Surely she can't be injured again!?!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Singles First round:
(1)Francesca Lubiani(ITA) bt (WC)Emma Hayman(NZL) 6-1 6-1,
(4)Leanne Baker(NZL) bt (WC)Kairangi Vano(NZL) 6-4 7-5,
Haruka Fujishiro(JPN) bt (WC)Ellen Barry(NZL) 6-3 5-7 6-2,

Second round singles:
(7)Lisa D'Amelio(AUS) bt (Q)Katerina Kramperova(CZE) 6-3 7-5,
(6)Natsumi Hamamura(JPN) bt (Q)Shao-Yuan Kao(TPE) 6-4 7-6(4),
Lucia Gonzalez(AUS) bt (8)Biffy Kaufman(USA) 6-4 6-4,
(4)Leanne Baker(NZL) bt (Q)Nicole Kriz 6-3 6-2,
(1)Francesca Lubiani(ITA) bt Haruka Fujishiro(JPN) 6-2 6-4,
(Q)Jessica Moore(AUS) bt Jade Curtis(GBR) 7-6(2) 6-4,
(5)Kyung-Mi Chang(KOR) bt (Q)Se-Na Lee(KOR) 4-6 6-3 6-2,
(2)Emily Hewson(AUS) bt Christina Fusano(USA) 6-7(2) 6-4 6-4.

Friday schedule Centre court 11am start quarterfinal singles:
Jessica Moore(AUS) v (6)Natsumi Hamamura(JPN)
Followed by (5)Kyung-Mi Chang v (4)Leanne Baker(NZL)
followed by Lucia Gonzalez(AUS) v (2)Emily Hewson(AUS)
Followed Quarterfinal doubles (1)Leanne Baker(NZL)/Francesca Lubiani(ITA) v Hanuka Fujishiro(JPN)/Natsumi Hamamura(JPN)
followed by (4)Nicole Kriz(AUS)/Emily Hewson(AUS) v Sevvy Gallios(AUS)/Shannon Golds(AUS) or Hye-Mi Byun(KOR)/Kyung-Mi Chang(KOR) followed by Bianca Acquistapace(AUS)/Kit Carson(USA) v (3)Lisa D'Amelio(AUS)/Lucia Gonzalez or Kairangi Vano(NZL)/Yumi Nakano(JPN)

Court 3 Midday start (1)Francesca Lubiani(ITA) v (7)Lisa D'Amelio(AUS)

·
Rest In Peace, Elena
19,592 Posts
Tracey O'Connor stopped her career from flowing

1st Feb 2006

By Jesse Lincoln

Tracey O'Connor has announced to her retirement and agreed for not playing any tournaments for rest of her life.

Tracey O'Connor cried during at her home speech, "I just want to thanks to all the NZ supporters for supporting me, I really appreciate your effort and you have work really hard on my game so i can improve. I just couldn't manage to my improve my game."

She announced it because she may believes that she will be getting more heat stress in her body. "I have to make a agreement with my parents about a retirement for myself because I am far more concern on my health and fitness, so I want to get on with my life without tennis career."

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
hotduncz_!8 said:
Tracey O'Connor stopped her career from flowing

1st Feb 2006

By Jesse Lincoln

Tracey O'Connor has announced to her retirement and agreed for not playing any tournaments for rest of her life.

Tracey O'Connor cried during at her home speech, "I just want to thanks to all the NZ supporters for supporting me, I really appreciate your effort and you have work really hard on my game so i can improve. I just couldn't manage to my improve my game."

She announced it because she may believes that she will be getting more heat stress in her body. "I have to make a agreement with my parents about a retirement for myself because I am far more concern on my health and fitness, so I want to get on with my life without tennis career."
OMG!!!!!! This is so sad! Do you guys want to email her with me?? I am so gutted right now!!!!!! Tracey is so cool with a really great game! This makes me feel like crying!

Wait a min...is the article turthful? Where did you get it from mate??

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Thanks heaps for posting this hotduncz_!8.
I can't believe Tracey quit! I wish she'd at least have given these 2 NZ tournies a go.
She did so well to go from nowhere to the 600's last year. This really sux!!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Mana said:
OMG!!!!!! This is so sad! Do you guys want to email her with me?? I am so gutted right now!!!!!! Tracey is so cool with a really great game! This makes me feel like crying!

Wait a min...is the article turthful? Where did you get it from mate??
If you want to send her anything Mana, I'll be all for it.
I'm hoping with all the grammar mistakes that the article in wrong. She still hasn't withdrawn from 1 of the Aus $25k's (Sydney or Gosford) yet.
What's this heat stress crap???

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
SeanyQ said:
If you want to send her anything Mana, I'll be all for it.
I'm hoping with all the grammar mistakes that the article in wrong. She still hasn't withdrawn from 1 of the Aus $25k's (Sydney or Gosford) yet.
What's this heat stress crap???
I'm on it, I am emailing TNZ right now to get to the bottow\m of this. But yeah, I was going to say that the grammar is shocking:eek:! I will ask for a contact email address for her and stuff:).

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Mana said:
I'm on it, I am emailing TNZ right now to get to the bottow\m of this. But yeah, I was going to say that the grammar is shocking:eek:! I will ask for a contact email address for her and stuff:).
Sounds good Mana.
I really hope she's not quitting. She really is a nice down to earth girl with a really good game. I thought she should definitely be at least a couple of hundred places higher in the rankings.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Apart from being very sad about the 'news' about Tracey, I just want to say well done to Leanne Baker!!

In to the QF!! Playing two matches today, against two very handy players.

Lets ger revengs for last year against Chang!!

Good luck in singles and doubles tomorrow!!!!! :kiss:

1 - 20 of 134 Posts