1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 FIRED AT VENUS SISTER

By LINDA MASSARELLA and DAVID K. LI
---------------------------------------------------------------------

September 18, 2003 -- At least two gunmen fired at the car carrying the slain sister of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams, with one bullet fatally striking the woman in the head, officials said yesterday.
Yetunde Price, 31, died of the single gunshot wound early Sunday after she cruised through Compton, the family's hometown, with a man, according to Lt. David Smith of the Los Angeles County coroner's office.

Prosecutors have charged Aaron Michael Hammer, 24, of Compton, with murder.

Friends of the suspect insist Hammer didn't shoot Price, and cops admit that at least two people fired at Price's car shortly after midnight. Investigators are still running ballistic tests to see if Hammer fired the fatal shot.

"This isn't going to be easy. This won't be one of those two-day cases," said county Sheriff's Capt. Frank Merriman. "We have a lot to follow up on."

Deputies are looking for two or three more accomplices to the Sunday morning murder. The suspect's uncle, Dale Nelson, said authorities are trying to squeeze Hammer, and he wants to squeal.

"They [investigators] told me straight out he's [Hammer] not the shooter," said Nelson. "They said that he either starts talking or takes the fall for everything. Aaron wants to talk.

"He just wants to have an attorney present to make sure he doesn't get confused or what he says get twisted."

Prosecutors are set to arraign Hammer on Tuesday, and he is being held without bail.

Heartbroken family members yesterday had not finalized funeral plans for Price, a nurse who also worked as a personal assistant to Venus and Serena.

"They [the Williams family] are not doing well," said family lawyer Keven Davis. "This is still a shock to everyone."

The victim left behind three children, ages 5, 9 and 11. Price and her cousin lived in a single-family home in Corona, Calif., about 41 miles east from where the shooting took place.

The house is now virtually empty, although flowers from a memorial to Price remain on her living-room mantle.

A neighbor said Price didn't employ a nanny, and spent almost all of her time with the children.

"I have known her for a year and she was always with her children," Imelda Moreno, a grandmother and next-door neighbor of Price.

"I've never seen men or anyone else around. It's her, her cousin and her children. She was a very careful mother."

If this report is true, it will be hard to make Hammer eligible for the death penalty, but maybe the threat of the death penalty will get him to start talking.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
lizchris said:
Heartbroken family members yesterday had not finalized funeral plans for Price, a nurse who also worked as a personal assistant to Venus and Serena.

"They [the Williams family] are not doing well," said family lawyer Keven Davis. "This is still a shock to everyone."
This part of the article pains me. I pray for them to have the strength to make it through.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Knizzle said:
This part of the article pains me. I pray for them to have the strength to make it through.
I think this will take them a while to get over this, mainly because there are so many unanswered questions.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rocketta said:
Yes but when are they going to have the funeral. They need to move to the next phase of the grief process, I think.
It looks like the funeral will be early next week.

·
Registered
16,898 Posts
This is terrible news. :( Now the police and Yetunde's family may never really know for sure who killed Yetunde. The doubt lingers on. And so does the pain for Yetunde's family. :sad:

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
I myself am still in shock! :sad: :sad:

Thoughts and prayers for the entire family...especially the kids who have lost their dear mother. I can't even begin to imagine their pain. :sad: :sad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.