1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
WILLIAMS SIS FUNERAL TOO TRAGIC FOR DAD

By DAVID K. LI
----------------------------------------------------------------------

September 20, 2003 -- LOS ANGELES - The slain older sister of tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams was quietly buried yesterday in Hollywood Hills after an emotional, private service their dad was too distraught to attend.

Yetunde Price, 31, was laid to rest at Forest Lawn cemetery five days after she was gunned down while driving home with her boyfriend through the troubled suburb of Compton, where she grew up.

Richard Williams said he remained outside the chapel during the services for his stepdaughter.

"I wouldn't go inside because I thought it would be too much for my heart. I stayed outside until it was over with," he said.

"I'm not going through this OK. It's just too difficult. I don't think I'll ever fully recover from this. It'll always be a scar."

Williams said Price's siblings, including his daughters Venus and Serena, were among the mourners at the funeral.

Of the sisters' anguish, Williams said, "You can see it in the expression in their faces."

After Price was buried, Richard Williams headed to the streets of Compton trying "to figure out what happened" to her.

"You only get some closure . . . when someone is made to pay for this," he said.

Aaron Michael Hammer has been arrested and charged with Price's slaying.

He may not have been Yetunde's biological father, but his feelings are that of one.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is going to be hard on them for a while and I beginnig to really doubt that we will Venus or Serena in any capacity anytime soon.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
How sad.

I'm really touched by Richard. He really took this in stride. He put aside his differences with Oracene and comforted his family.

Stay Strong!!

·
Registered
14,307 Posts
Let the healing begin. Venus and famiily are hopefully seeing grief couseling.

As far as Venus or Serena coming back this year, that is still imho up in the air. People grieve differently. Some may want to do the normal activities right away. Some may need to stay around family. Either way, I would almost bet my last buck that the next tourney that [email protected] play will be together. I almost think they may come back stronger and dedicate their wins to Yetunde whenever they decide to come back.

I feel that later on down the road, they will be strong and " say to themselves, WE are not going to let this man control us". We will continue to go on, because Yetunde would want it this way.:sad:

·
Premium Member
20,087 Posts
:sad: This is horrible. Richard must really be going through it, because usually he is very strong. I just pray that the entire family get through this. He must of been really hurt to not go into the service.

I hope the sisters just take their time to decide if they want to come back on tour or not. I would be fine if they decided not too return. I just want them to be happy and for them to enjoy their life with their family.

RIP Yetunde :sad:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a question: Are Serena and Venus the only children of Richard and Oracene? I mean, are the other 3 sisters from Oracene and her first husband? Is he still alive?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Venus and Serena are the only daughters of Richard and Oracene.

I'm not sure what happened to Oracene's husband/boyfriend. I don't know, I think I heard he died or something.

BTW, Richard has other children from his first marriage as well. I believe there are five of them.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
VeNuS FoReVeR said:
Venus and Serena are the only daughters of Richard and Oracene.

I'm not sure what happened to Oracene's husband/boyfriend. I don't know, I think I heard he died or something.

BTW, Richard has other children from his first marriage as well. I believe there are five of them.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know Richard already had children from another marriage.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Deuce said:
I have a question: Are Serena and Venus the only children of Richard and Oracene? I mean, are the other 3 sisters from Oracene and her first husband? Is he still alive?
Venus and Serena are the only children of Richard and Oracene. The late Yetunde, Isha and Lyndrea were the children of Oracene and her first husband, who is deceased. Richard was married before too and has five children from that marriage.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Knizzle said:
I figured Richard would try to find out who did it himself. I just hope he doesn't try to do something to that person.
I think he is going to hire private detectives if the police hit a roadblock in their investigation.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
lizchris said:
This is going to be hard on them for a while and I beginnig to really doubt that we will Venus or Serena in any capacity anytime soon.
I know, its very sad. I am sad for them - and wish their family all the best.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I sure would like to know how poor Oracene's holding up :sad:. I just feel so sorry for their loss, and I hope that they can all just grieve in a healthy manner. You know how some people just try to hide what they're feeling and let everything build up inside until they end up doing something harmful to themselves or others? I pray that this doesn't happen to any of them. I don't like the idea of Richard riding off to Compton trying to find out what happened. He could be putting himself at great danger.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
HAIL-VENUS said:
I sure would like to know how poor Oracene's holding up :sad:. I just feel so sorry for their loss, and I hope that they can all just grieve in a healthy manner. You know how some people just try to hide what they're feeling and let everything build up inside until they end up doing something harmful to themselves or others? I pray that this doesn't happen to any of them. I don't like the idea of Richard riding off to Compton trying to find out what happened. He could be putting himself at great danger.
I don't think Oracene will be well for a while, which is why I don't expect to see her when Venus and Serena return to the tour (plus she will be busy raising Yetunde's children). A parent NEVER gets over the loss of a child. Both of my grandmothers had children die before them (My maternal grandmother lost her only son at the age of three and my paternal grandmother lost one of four daughters at the age of 10) and never stopped grieving until the day they died.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.