Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find these numbers amazing, considering the criticism that the Williams sisters receive regarding not playing enough tournaments:

Active Player # WTA titles won

Seles 51<br />Hingis 38<br />Davenport 37<br />Martinez 32<br />ASV 29<br />Venus 21<br />Pierce 15<br />Huber 12<br />Capriati 12<br />Serena 12<br />Magdelena 8<br />Coetzer 8<br />Tauziat 8<br />Amelie 6<br />Schnyder 6<br />Clijsters 6<br />Henin 4<br />Testud 3<br />Rubin 3<br />Schett 3<br />Dokic 3<br />Megann 2 <br />Raymond 2<br />Kournikova 0

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: rmc ]

[ November 04, 2001: Message edited by: rmc ]</p>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Um..... just a correction.... Monica is @51.....

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
ehmmmm

Seles's titles are 51 and Davenport titles are 37.Henin's are 4.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Lindsayfan ]</p>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh...... and Davenport's @37

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the corrections.

Looks to me like Venus and Serena are doing something right.

·
Registered
25,287 Posts
I am a bit surprising that Mary and Jennifer won so few, I thought they have over 20?

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
I didn't know Arantxa and Martinez had fewer titles than Monica, considering they have been around just as long, if not longer than Monica. Moreover, they played two years more than Monica when she was away from the tour in 1993-95.<br />sigh... i know I'm bringing up the 'if Monica wasn't stabbed' issue again... but then I can't resist saying Monica could have easily have around 80 titles or more if she wasn't stabbed...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In a display of my ignorance, Miranda, I was shocked too. But, I didn't want to insult the JCap fans, who I KNOW would have thought I was picking on her. I thought JCap had accomplished more than she obviously did before her downfall.

On the other hand, you get a better appreciation for Seles, ASV, Martinez, gain a perspective into the dominance of Lindsay and Martina, and in my opinion are dumfounded at how much of a dent Serena and Venus have made without playing the number of tournaments of most of the other players.

But in honestly, JCap's numbers shocked me the most. I had always thought she had dominated by winning more titles when she was younger. For some reason, I thought she was more in a Seles category back then.

Hey, before you attack give us credit for being late comers to the stats on the history of the sport.

[ November 01, 2001: Message edited by: rmc ]</p>

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The reason why Venus and Serena are there is because they have a fantastic winning percentage.

So they don't play that much, but when they do, they tend to dominate (or they can at least).

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Capriati has 12 titles, but the point is that she was constantly reaching semis and finals when she was young, at 14, that's why there was so much hype around her.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts