Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A sports columnist for the New York Times, Selena Roberts, has launched a particularly nasty attack on Kim for retiring. Not as nasty as Bodo's but close, with lots of sarcastic feminist-bashing, to boot (she uses phrases like "bra-burner," when surely she knows no one ever burned a bra, and "libbers for lob equality." That kind of "cute" attack was common in the 70s and has returned, thanks largely to the New York Times.

Anyway, in addition to mocking the women's movement, Roberts rips Clijsters for leaving the tour at an early age, for "using financial freedom as an escape hatch." She thumps Kim for wanting a home and family, and all but ignores the fact that Kim's body has been totally ravaged by tennis and that she hurts all the time. When she does mention Kim's injuries, she casts doubt on how legitimate they are.

And even if Kim were not in pain, why is it everyone's business whether she retires? Roberts' last line is: "There is no glass ceiling on the women's tour (wrong again)--the revolutionists in pleated skirts made sure of it--but there is an open window. Who knew liberation could one day threaten the tour?"

You can read this column, "When Tranquility Trumps Equality," if you have a subscription to the Times.

·
Registered
115,324 Posts
THE libbers for lob equality once risked their wooden Wilsons so prize purses for women would mean more than a nice clutch bag, so gender equity would include the right to a shared pot.
Amid the oestrogen revolution, the women's tennis tour evolved ahead of society as Billie Jean King made feminism cool, as Martina Navratilova made muscle acceptable, as Chris Evert made an empire out of a playing career.
They were Oprah before Oprah. They were tennis stars who, in their own ways, nurtured the tour so well, with such a progressive spirit, it is the only women's league where the money measures up to the men.
But what happens to the tour when financial freedom opens an escape hatch? At 23, Kim Clijsters doesn't need tennis any more. She doesn't need waking up with an aching body after another night spent away from her fiance, in a hotel room that looks exactly like the last.
Ranked No. 5 on the WTA Tour, with $17.74 million in career earnings, plus millions more in endorsements, Clijsters chose to retire on Sunday, with an explanation straight off the menu of the Happy Days diner.
"Right now, it is time for a new life," Clijsters wrote on her website. "Time for marrying. Children? Time for cooking and playing with the dogs."
She would be a lousy bra burner. But Clijsters' decision to opt out of the playing tedium is not an aberration these days; it is a tour trend. Some high-ranked players have retired — like Clijsters and Lindsay Davenport — while stars from Justine Henin to Amelie Mauresmo, from Martina Hingis to Venus Williams, have alternately disappeared during their careers in a game of Where's Wally?
Injuries, players claim. Lame excuses, the suspicious say.
But what women's tennis may reveal is the same socially sanctioned element found throughout society, where mums with MBAs prefer to run play groups instead of boardroom meetings. In this circle, it's OK to jump off the fast track for the mummy track or laugh track. Whatever makes a woman of means happy.
Money hasn't fuelled the competition in women's tennis. It has served as a disincentive to play when the women reach a point where they have earned enough to buy contentment.
"Money is important, but not the most important in my life," Clijsters wrote. "Health and happiness are so much more keys to life."
This is the right philosophy, isn't it? And yet, one woman's Zen is another loss for the tour. Tournaments and majors played without long-time rivals or a consistency of stardom or familiar faces puts women's tennis at risk of vanishing through irrelevance.
Top players on tour can afford to be ladies of leisure as they parachute in and out of the schedule to indulge in their cultural gender differences with male athletes.
Salary figures and contract numbers define many male pros. To them, wealth is a measure of their self-worth.
Money as a reflection of manhood is not a hard and fast rule. There are exceptions. Bjorn Borg retired early after growing weary of the tour grind and privacy intrusions. But disillusionment on the women's tour is a flu bug passing from one star to the next.
In tennis, 23 is the new 40. It is midlife crisis time when players start to ponder the loneliness of the tour, develop outside interests and realise they have been at the game since age 10, maybe six. The guys often start the game later and enter the scene with less attention. Females experience their first pimple, first love and first break-up, all before the public.
The scrutiny is endless: Is Serena Williams' caboose on the loose? Was Jennifer Capriati's mood too dark? Did Hingis break Sergio Garcia's heart? Just what did the effervescent Clijsters once see in the boorish Lleyton Hewitt?
The constant prying is enough to make a girl run for the exit.
"No more gossip or lies in the newspapers," Clijsters explained.
Mental burnout is nothing new to tennis (as in Andrea Jaeger at age 19) and careers have been cut short by injury before (as in Tracy Austin at 20). Clijsters cited herself as a victim of both.
She longed for more time to plan her July wedding to Brian Lynch, an American-born basketball player in Europe. She pined for the days when she could slide on the court into a full split — a trademark of her Silly Putty elasticity — without her back locking up.
Tennis has a history of devouring its youth. But never have so many stars seemed so eager to fade out, whether into retirement or an extended leave.
There is no glass ceiling on the women's tour — the revolutionists in pleated skirts made sure of it — but there is an open window.
Who knew liberation could one day threaten the tour?

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?t=297753&highlight=selena+roberts

·
Registered
15,448 Posts
this woman needs to watch mona lisa smile. i was pissed with julia stiles at first for conforming, but when you think about it, it's not about feminism or anything like that. women are better home makers. we bond closer to our children. it's nature. yes, we are intelligent and we can be managing directors of big companies but some choose not to and if they don't so what? it's their choice? that gives another woman to rise up. because one thing i can say about women, when we see another girl coming up, we try to thwart their growth because of the threat factor.

with Kim, we've seen her get injured. and we've seen her enjoy the game. if she wants to be a stay at home mom so what? she wants the "traditional" life and i see nothing wrong with that. and why should she play on when she's lost the passion for the game? that would be an insult to the fans and the other players.

Reactions: Sarah<Kim-fan>

·
Banned
134 Posts
she has a point. many in fact.

Its clear that kim retired because she could afford to. I doubt she would be retiring today if she didnt have her millions. Shes just to smart to say so.

Its all about money, and kim may deny it, but its written all over her face.

good luck kim, you deserve everything you got....but you wont be earning a hallowed place in the hall of fame for being the greatest champion....

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I watched Mona Lisa smile too :) It was really nice.

Like what otehrs said she could afford to, If I could afford not to work anymore even if I'm so good at it I'll won't work anymore! :) :) Just laze around and travel, but you see you always go back to what makes you happy. I think Kim loves tennis and might think of coming back when she has forgot how much painful it was to keep on training :)

·
Registered
4,506 Posts

Its clear that kim retired because she could afford to. I doubt she would be retiring today if she didnt have her millions. Shes just to smart to say so.

good luck kim, you deserve everything you got....but you wont be earning a hallowed place in the hall of fame for being the greatest champion....
You think she cares???

·
Registered
20,122 Posts

She retired because she wants to start a family and because she is sick of injuries. WTF does that have to do with money? Because she can afford to retire, it's wrong to retire for those reasons? :confused:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
I really need to vent.

1. I thought the "Feminist Movement" was all about have the rights and freedoms to play and choose? Why are women like her so quick to tear other women down for "choosing"? Was that not a key goal?

Kim Clijsters has benefitted from the right to play and the freedom to choose! What, jsut because it wasn't the decision some wanted it's suddenly her doing a disservice to her predecessors?

2. If it is "all about money", So what? Just because she's a woman and women haven't always gotten the equal pay of men, she somehow is obligated to sacrifice her body and happiness for a preceived cause?

Let's not attach any more significance than need be! This is simply the way of business that was hear long before any sports and for centuries. If anyone can make enough or have enough at a young enough age it obviously affords you more luxuries and freedoms, giving you more options and opportunites. This is simply the way of the logical world! Ms.Roberts needs to take her pseudo feminist bs some where else. It has squat to do with sex!

3. How is she or anyone else? And how dare any of them act as if any player owe's them or the game anything? Who is she to question injuries? What the game gives and what the players give are different for each player! And it is manifested in different ways.

Was Selena there when Kim as a child got up every day to practice? Was Selena there when Kim played and practice in spite of pain? Was Selena there for and to make the sacrifices of Kim and her family? Was Selena there to see the private wear and tear, the toll it has taken on her body and psyche? Was Selena there to see and experience all the events that made Kim the person she has become?

NO!

So, how dare she smuggly look down
her damn nose at anyone, especially Kim!

4. Times can and always do have a way of changing! This is change! A woman being able to make money equal to men and be able to make decisions she feels suit her w/o having to justify herself! Would a man in her position get her flack? Not in the way of attacking his sex! Elite coorprate and political men are even many times applauded for stating that they want to focus on their families.

IMO, many women like Ms.Roberts can't handle the fact that her and/or her mother's generation had to fight for the things that women get more freely today. No total equality, but better than them. I feel some like her are jealous of this fruit, the fruit of their labor that they couldn't get at the elite peak. Sorry, but GET OVER IT!

Not everyone aspires to be like BJK, some do. And either is perfectly fine! Some are meant to carry on the fight and some aren't. STOP HATING! Not everyuone aspires to be Martina or Chris and play for a "hundred" years, some do. And either is perfectly fine! Some can handle the mental and physical demands for longer than others. Not to mentiuon that the demands of the game today would never allow either to do what they did on such an elite scale.
Not everyone see's tennis and the be all, some do. Not everyone see's a well rounded tennis player as a bad thing, some do. Oh bloody well! Deal with it and let people live their lives!

There is no glass ceiling on the women's tour — the revolutionists in pleated skirts made sure of it — but there is an open window.
Who knew liberation pseudo-feminism could one day threaten the tour?

JMO.
TIOLI! :wavey:

Reactions: Sarah<Kim-fan>

·
Banned
134 Posts
She retired because she wants to start a family and because she is sick of injuries. WTF does that have to do with money? Because she can afford to retire, it's wrong to retire for those reasons? :confused:
first of all yes, she retired because she COULD.

I dont think we would be having this conversation had Kim not won 17 million dollars.:rolleyes:

I highly doubt she would be "retiring at 23" if she didnt have the financial means to do so, she would of course be playing, great example of this? Amy Frazier. god shes 40 and shes STILL playing, and why? She probably NEEDS the income.

Kim is BLESSED shes rich enough to have the option to retire, but its a slap in the face at how she did, slopping icing suger venom on countless chicks by the comments of "oh i just wanna cook and clean" ..."bake and walk my dog"

please, am I reading some 1950's sitcom script? Thats what i thought when i read the stuff kim said. Its just very tarty.

Most girls on tour struggle all there lives for even a FRACTION of kims success, true they are not poor, but there familys have burdens of financial kinds nontheless for it.

this chick who wrote this article was bang on, period.

Im not bashing kim, not PER SE. Good for her, shes a smart cookie, but I agree with the article, it sends a bad message to girls everywhere and damages the sport.

It sends the message that "once we earn our first million, or win our first slam, we will pack out barbie bags and retire, cause i got money now anyways."

heck...kim did it....:eek: :wavey: :kiss: :help:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Kim is BLESSED shes rich enough to have the option to retire, but its a slap in the face at how she did, slopping icing suger venom on countless chicks who struggle all there lives for even a FRACTION of kims success.

Im not bashing kim, not PER SE. Good for her, shes a smart cookie, but I agree with the article, it sends a bad message to girls everywhere and damages the sport.
An "option" that she and her family sacrificed for!
Please DO NOT for one minute second act as
if her "BLESSING" just fell in her lap!

You could have fooled me!

And the "bad message" is being sent by people
like Ms.Roberts and yourselves!

i.e. Girls listen up! Your sex unlike men in this
instance will be used to praise you and to belittle
you, making it so that you'll have to walk this
invisible tight rope walk. You have cannot choose
unless it is the choice that "we"(whomever we be)
deem it good! You are still not equal to men and if
we "other" women will have our way, you never will be.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
The journalist has a point, a few rather. It's true to say that the tour has started self destructing because of it's own preaching. The WTA serves internationally as a sport that provides women with a pay packet that far exceeds the greater portion of male sports... and why shouldn't it. But in comparison, no other sport in the world provides women with this kind of money though... other than basketball in the US. Could Kim be abusing this?

·
Banned
134 Posts
An "option" that she and her family sacrificed for!
Please DO NOT for one minute second act as
if her "BLESSING" just fell in her lap!

You could have fooled me!

And the "bad message" is being sent by people
like Ms.Roberts and yourselves!

i.e. Girls listen up! Your sex unlike men in this
instance will be used to praise you and to belittle
you, making it so that you'll have to walk this
invisible tight rope walk. You have cannot choose
unless it is the choice that "we"(whomever we be)
deem it good! You are still not equal to men and if
we "other" women will have our way, you never will be.
as i said, her choice does not nessesarily bother me, in its interity, kim SHOULD HAVE A FMILY....she should have the oppertunity to be a mom and everything else.

but for gawd sakes shes 23....im 21 and im still a baby.

your making it seem like we are trying to deny kim her role as a family woman! LOL so off base!:wavey: :eek:

I am however pointing out that it DOES send a bad message....because she obviously doesnt care about her career...and this kind of career demands a certain amount of respect...she was given alot...she was given a platform in which to perform in return she received her millions, sshe should be building the sport up....but shes walking away.

it does send a bad mesasage IMO....and to me i still think shes a great person, just naive that shes done this....:wavey:

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
as i said, her choice does not nessesarily bother me, in its interity, kim SHOULD HAVE A FMILY....she should have the oppertunity to be a mom and everything else.

your making it seem like we are trying to deny kim her role as a family woman! LOL so off base!:wavey: :eek:

I am however pointing out that it DOES send a bad message....because she obviously doesnt care about her career...and this kind of career demands a certain amount of respect...she was given alot...she was given a platform in which to perform in return she received her millions, sshe should be building the sport up....but shes walking away.

it does send a bad mesasage IMO....and to me i still think shes a great person, just naive that shes done this....:wavey:
So what that she is 23?

If she were an heiress to inherit money from
a wealthy family, she'd never have to do any
real work in her life. Ala Paris Hilton.

That is not the case with Kim.
Yet it it were, oh well. That's life!

Who are you to say what she did or didn't care about in her tennis?
Do you know all of the things that went into her decision? Do you choose to ignore the physical and mental stress? And what does her sex really have to do with anything? If she were a man would she be sending the wrong message to boys?

It's fine if you think she is making the wrong choice,
but don't use her sex which is irrelevant to this.

Also again, you talk about what tennis have given her and yet you
seem to all but ignore the price she has had to pay in sweat, blodd, tears, money, & time to get what she has EARNED!

Tennis gave to her, because SHE GAVE HERSELF for it!

As I've said before, people are different! Not every athlete aspires
to the same things or should be expected to! Tennis is nothing more than a reflection of society in it's microcosom.

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
first of all yes, she retired because she COULD.

I dont think we would be having this conversation had Kim not won 17 million dollars.:rolleyes:

I highly doubt she would be "retiring at 23" if she didnt have the financial means to do so, she would of course be playing, great example of this? Amy Frazier. god shes 40 and shes STILL playing, and why? She probably NEEDS the income.
Yes, she could afford to retire... and... what is your point That because she is rich, she is less entitled to want to retire than if she were poor? That she isn't entitled to be tired of the injuries?

Kim is BLESSED shes rich enough to have the option to retire, but its a slap in the face at how she did, slopping icing suger venom on countless chicks by the comments of "oh i just wanna cook and clean" ..."bake and walk my dog"

please, am I reading some 1950's sitcom script? Thats what i thought when i read the stuff kim said. Its just very tarty.
Gosh, it's not like she is retiring for some sort of frivolous reason. I mean, you might think that her priorities are stupid, but they aren't frivolous, so why on earth is it a slap in the face?

Most girls on tour struggle all there lives for even a FRACTION of kims success, true they are not poor, but there familys have burdens of financial kinds nontheless for it.

It sends the message that "once we earn our first million, or win our first slam, we will pack out barbie bags and retire, cause i got money now anyways."
So what should she be doing? Stay in the sport and continue to get injured and play tennis because you want her to? :eek:

·
Registered
11,058 Posts

so basically what your saying is that what's good for you is good for everyone else? just because you're a baby at 21 doesn't mean you're anything like Kim Clijsters. She has been living the life of professional athlete pretty much since she was 12 or 13 years old. Now she wants to try something else. I don't think she's ever said that she's going to have kids and then never leave her house. I'm sure she will take on other interests as she gets older.

let us not forget that very few professional athletes made the choice as an adult to dedicate their lives to this professional. Basically it's mainly a parental choice or that a very young child so I hardly think they should locked into it until others deem it appropriate for them to retire.

Different people have different motivations in life. I don't like the way people try to tell others who they really know nothing about how to live their lives.

·
Registered
22,126 Posts
Cry me a river... no amount of discussion is going to change the fact that her career is dead and burried.
When all else fails,
simply spout snide remark and move on, eh?

You could always hop a boat
on that river and sail out
of the thread. ;)

Just a suggestion. :kiss:

Reactions: xin_hui
1 - 20 of 66 Posts