Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that Federer's won Halle, will Mal give him the "kiss of death" to win Wimbledon?

If Mal were a poster, he would live in the Federer Express cheering thread...

Roger better email Mosquito and have him turn over that talisman :eek:

·
Registered
33,292 Posts
Rogi please win Wimbledon, or at least reach semifinals or something, show everybody you can play good at Grand slams too!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
It's not just Mal. People in the biz love praising Rogi 'cause he's superb like that. Haha! Pat Mc is frustrated too--I mean, he's worth the talk, but hasn't taken it to the next level.

I don't really care.

I just hope that just because Rogi has had so many letdowns, doesn't mean people are scared to believe in him. Every time a Slam comes around, I hope people never feel stupid or apprehensive to say they think Roger is one of their pics.

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Mrs. G: It's not just that people are scared to believe in him, it's that he can't get out of the 1st rd!

It's like since that breakthrough beating Pete at Wimby a couple of years ago, he has put undue pressure on himself to blow through these Slams, and ends up self-destructing.

Good thing his fear of Slams hasn't crossed over to his victories on the circuit. Hopefully, he can find whatever that missing link is so he can find his way.

If he even got to the quarters of the Slams, he'd be number 1 in the world, I think.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Hahaha!!! :sad: He could when he wasn't expected too!

Anyway, I am just saying, with this Wimbledon coming up, and with Rogi having just won a Wimbledon tune-up, and the fact that he has this habit of lifting people up and then crashing in Slams--despite all that history and pattern, I hope people can still put it aside and be like, "I pick Roger to go far."

I KNOW YOU CAN DO IT ROG!!!

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Mrs. G: Just updated my reply. Sorry :eek:

·
Registered
22,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I updated my reply after you posted, unaware that you posted...

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Oh, okay! No worries!

I am glad Rogi still does well at the non-Slam tournaments... I mean, it's like comfort chocalate, hehe

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I don't think any tennis pundits are going to start predicting great things of Federer in the Slams after the RG debacle. They'll say he could reach the quarters or semis, they'll say he has the ability to win the tournament, but they won't confidently predict exactly what he will do. Their attitude is probably "Wait and see", which is certainly what mine is. If he can just make the second week, that would be a step in the right direction.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
nah the pundits are too busy creaming themselves over Pandy. all the commentators (except Becker) in his match today carried on and on about how he is the favorite to win Wimby. i still say he won't do it. Roger can if he gets his head together. that win over Sampras wasn't a fluke -- he played fantastic tennis.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What did Becker say about his chances at Wimby ?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
tennischick said:
nah the pundits are too busy creaming themselves over Pandy. all the commentators (except Becker) in his match today carried on and on about how he is the favorite to win Wimby. i still say he won't do it.
"It's the Agassi/Andy show! With your hosts, Patrick McEnroe and Jim Courier"

Sometimes I wish ESPN would just come out with their true intentions ;)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hendouble said:
I don't think any tennis pundits are going to start predicting great things of Federer in the Slams after the RG debacle. They'll say he could reach the quarters or semis, they'll say he has the ability to win the tournament, but they won't confidently predict exactly what he will do. Their attitude is probably "Wait and see", which is certainly what mine is. If he can just make the second week, that would be a step in the right direction.
HD, Rogi getting to the 2nd rd w be a step in the right direction... once he can get over that hurdle, I hope he'll feel more confident... but pls, I do NOT want to see a repeat of last yr...!

TF how do you figure Rogi w be #1 if he got to the QFs of slams?

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
TennisHack said:
"It's the Agassi/Andy show! With your hosts, Patrick McEnroe and Jim Courier"

Sometimes I wish ESPN would just come out with their true intentions ;)
it could be worse. it could be the Android Show. and every time he hit one of his big serves, Cliff and Pat would go "Oooooooh....wow!! did you see that??!! amazing!!! how does he keep doing that!!!" and more in that vein.

but i agree. as much as i love Andre, i want to see other players as well. and now that Pandy has broken Rusedski's serve record, Cliff and Pat have someone new to "Oooh" and "Aaah" over. gee i'm really looking forward to that...:eek:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Aleta4 said:
What did Becker say about his chances at Wimby ?
i may be wrong in my interpretation of Becker's attitude towards Pandy but it seemed to me as if he shares the opinion of Pandy's detractors. Becker was very subtle about it but he basically said that Seb is the more talented player but that with the help of racket technology and his big serve, Pandy had the advantage. whenever he subtly criticised Andy, he would then say something like "but he's only 20 so he has a lot to still learn" or something in that vein. i didn't get the impression that he was as impressed as his fellow commentators.

he didn't pick a fave going in to Wimby. at least i didn't hear it.

i'm giving you general impressions btu i taped the match. i'll look at it properly later -- i have laundry to fold and watching tennis is the perfect antidote to that wonderful chore -- so i'll log back on and post something more specific later. :wavey:

·
Registered
365 Posts
tennischick said:
i may be wrong in my interpretation of Becker's attitude towards Pandy but it seemed to me as if he shares the opinion of Pandy's detractors. Becker was very subtle about it but he basically said that Seb is the more talented player but that with the help of racket technology and his big serve, Pandy had the advantage. whenever he subtly criticised Andy, he would then say something like "but he's only 20 so he has a lot to still learn" or something in that vein. i didn't get the impression that he was as impressed as his fellow commentators.

he didn't pick a fave going in to Wimby. at least i didn't hear it.

i'm giving you general impressions btu i taped the match. i'll look at it properly later -- i have laundry to fold and watching tennis is the perfect antidote to that wonderful chore -- so i'll log back on and post something more specific later. :wavey:
Thanks TC :wavey:

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Well I for my part don't mind when Roddick get's more attentien as Roger right now.

We will see who's the better in 3 weeks time. (Well in Roger's case one has to say in about 8 days we know more..... gee if only that first round match would already be over ;) )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts