Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
Surely there are more valuable cathedrals than the one in Cologne, but that one is a national symbol like Brandenburg Gate. Tbh if I had the choice in Paris, I would've preferred that ugly church in Montmartre burning down.

Looks like there will be fund raising in Germany, too, as the speaker of the government already announced. To expresss "the friendship of the German people with the French people". I hate this wording after centuries of war and mistrust between our two countries since the empire of Charlemagne was divided between his heirs, but as I said: this cathedral is not only France, it is a landmark of european history and I would be happy to see the people of Europe helping to rebuild it.
I agree its such an amazing landmark and historical building.

Everyone will help to restore it, i hope money wont be a problem

Im glad i saw it when i visited

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
200 millions from L'Oréal, 100 millions from Total.

Already close to 700 millions with the donations of the richest companies and families.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Surely there are more valuable cathedrals than the one in Cologne, but that one is a national symbol like Brandenburg Gate. Tbh if I had the choice in Paris, I would've preferred that ugly church in Montmartre burning down.
Seriously? This was such an unnecessary and disgraceful comment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Muslims are apparently celebrating. This is why we need to have this religion of peace banned. I am so disgusted, I bet that some liberals have their excuses ready just in case (that these poor things have been brought in other culture, that they need to be educated, etc.)

·
Premium Member
38,893 Posts
Muslims are apparently celebrating. This is why we need to have this religion of peace banned. I am so disgusted, I bet that some liberals have their excuses ready just in case (that these poor things have been brought in other culture, that they need to be educated, etc.)
Internet trolls (more of the kind that share bullshit and lead to insane massacres such as the recent New Zealand one) that are no worse than their opposed trolls in that dept. No comment in French above is telling. Muslims of France don't speak this way.

·
Registered
57,323 Posts
200 millions from L'Oréal, 100 millions from Total.

Already close to 700 millions with the donations of the richest companies and families.
Good news indeed

Any idea how much it will cost?

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
It's cool indeed to see these rich families and big companies of France helping to restore that national symbol. I can't see that happening here, but maybe the difference is that those big companies are in parts still family run. Wouldn't find that here, I guess. Our billionaires are keeping their money firmly together.

One of the richest, the Albrecht clan who owns Aldi (and Trader Joe's in the US), just disinherited a whole branch of the family for "not sticking to a modest lifestyle". Probably it has to do with the German envy / suspicion towards the super rich. Displaying your wealth here is considered super vulgar and inappropriate. People like the Russian oligarchs for example would be socially dead.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
there were nasty comments from Polish people too. Including catholics. Stupidity has no religion or colour.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Now everybody who could have donated for the renovation appears.
If the church was begging for resources for the renovation, most probably they didn't have very good safety.
Something the nazi generals refused to do, the neo-liberals achieved with a hard face.

·
Registered
14,611 Posts
I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I caught this on the TV last night. Very sad news. I had the good fortune of visiting Paris in 2008 with my lovely wife and I saw it.

·
Registered
37,691 Posts
15 to 30 minutes from being completely destroyed. :help: Those firefighters deserve a monument.

Reactions: hablo

·
Adrenaline junkie
22,946 Posts
Good news indeed

Any idea how much it will cost?
Oh, it will cost a lot and it will take a while.
The French ability to rebuild after such events is truly legendary. Saw it few months ago first hand.
In 2017 several Caribbean islands got direct hit from extemely powerful hurricanes and got devastated.
Last fall, an year after the hurricanes I visited two of those islands - one island a UK territory and another - French territory. The former looked like hurricane has never happened. The latter looked like it happened yesterday.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Macron said 5 years. It will be hard to achieve but looks like everyone want it to be over by the time the Olympics begin.

61 - 80 of 176 Posts